courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
im looking for a laptop so I can get back into TF2 and play Overwatch on PC. My old ass laptop is shit and I can't play anything on it without closing everything in the background. And even then, the game runs like shit and actually playing a serious game is a huge impossibility.

Already certain I don't want a desktop. I need recommendations on a nice powerful laptop that isn't stupid expensive.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
What's "stupid expensive" for you? Are you looking for something between $600-$800 or can you stretch that range a little further

Mr. Socko

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
this one has i5 quad core cpu, 8 gb ram and 1050 ti :
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/fncwf514s

link for all inspiron dell series :
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/category/laptops/inspiron-laptops?~ck=bt&appliedRefinements=5732

Acer and MSI would be nice option as well, they have few laptops with nvidia 1050 ti under 1k. nvidia 1050 or 1050 ti is quite good enough to run games like overwatch at max settings on 1080 resolution. Just make sure any laptop you get has either of those graphics cards.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Additionally do you have any preference where you are buying it from? (Amazon/Best Buy/Etc.) I might have some gift cards/discounts that will lower the cost.

Let me know before you buy.

Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I also advise a Dell Inspiron. They're sturdy and hold their own. Even used them for competitive gaming and animations.

Don't wanna sound like a PC buttlord, but don't be dissuaded to build a custom desktop if you're going above 700 bucks. I don't know anyone who has regretted making that change.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
I also advise a Dell Inspiron. They're sturdy and hold their own. Even used them for competitive gaming and animations.

Don't wanna sound like a PC buttlord, but don't be dissuaded to build a custom desktop if you're going above 700 bucks. I don't know anyone who has regretted making that change.

The only drawback is portability; unless she wants to play cutting-edge graphics games, sacrificing the ability to take the laptop and use it for more than just gaming wouldn't make sense.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Forgive me for being 'that guy', but I tell everyone this so they know the full picture before deciding to buy a laptop. This comes form personal experience of owning a gaming laptop

- Laptops, generally speaking, are a lot more expensive than the PC equivalent
- Finding replacement parts for them can be a absolute bitch depending on what you're trying to replace, especially the older the laptop is
- If you do find a part, or a place that has / can get the part its usually going to be a LOT more expensive than repairing a desktop. Sometimes its better to just get a whole new laptop than to repair it
- If the video card goes out, most video cards are soldered onto the laptop's motherboard requiring either a whole new motherboard, or a repair place that can (very expensively) replace the video card. Assuming a replacement can be found to begin with
- Most laptops can't be upgraded outside of maybe RAM and a bigger hard drive, while with a desktop you can upgrade things as needed
- Things like replacing a screen or a keyboard can also potentially cost quite a bit, to the point where you may just be better off buying a whole new laptop
- If you don't want to fry your laptop you have to blow it out with compressed air much more frequently due to how compact the laptop is on the inside, making it a lot easier for dust to clog up air flow.

I'm not saying don't buy a laptop. Rather just make sure to keep in mind the downsides before buying. Desktops lack portability but they have the potential to last you much longer due to the ease and cheapness of repairing them compared to laptops, and parts are extremely easy to get for them. And you can upgrade everything in a desktop.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If it will run Overwatch no problem, and run TF2 no problem with several things open in the background, I'm fine with it
I'm not sure about the "several things in the background" part but my laptop, which has relatively similar specs, can handle a few things in the background. Just don't run unnecessary old programs that eat up memory like Skype.

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
I'm not sure about the "several things in the background" part but my laptop, which has relatively similar specs, can handle a few things in the background. Just don't run unnecessary old programs that eat up memory like Skype.
I use FaceTime on my phone over skype. I meant things like backpack.tf automatic script, google chrome, possibly iTunes

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Yes, from the sounds of it - that will do everything you want it to do.

Possibly the only issue could be the 256GB SSD, is that enough for you?

You could install three copies of GTA V with that amount, she only wants to play two games which don't take nearly as much memory.