-Marinol-

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
A recent general post brought an idea to mind, and would like to see if others really think this might be an idea to bring a little more forum life. There are specific sections for general anime and even MLP, but there doesn't seem to be a home for either literature or cinema topics. I know the forums are more game oriented, but I doubt you would find a person who doesn't participate in both.

Zefyre

Gore-Spattered Heavy
I think General works well for all that stuff but personally as an avid reader +1

-Marinol-

General does make a good catch-all, but I admit, for some it might also present a barrier. I find myself cherry picking conversations sometimes, and know there might even be a few more folks who don't speak on the forums as much because some of the topics either intimidate them or can't find them buried in the pile of other general topics that get placed there. Thats why I felt having a seperate forum for such might draw some lurkers into the dim reading lamps =)

-Marinol-

Been a few days, know its not a very dire subject and all, but even if you have a negative feedback on the suggestion, please chime in =) Tell yer friends, then we can MGE the oprah book club after a few more supporters!

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
why is that section there?

It's where a lot of deleted stuff gets thrown. I'm still puzzled as to why it's set for the public to see, but meh. Either way we don't necessarily need to replace one section with another section.

However, we must ask ourselves. Will it be worth it? Do you think a lot of threads will be posted or could you just as easily make a "movie/literature discussion thread," and have that work out just fine. I'm not one to discuss the finer points of literature and movies often, so I'm neutral in this endeavor. But to get another section on the forums you have to prove a good handful of people are intending to use it.

Thorin Oakenshield

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
But to get another section on the forums you have to prove a good handful of people are intending to use it.
I'd settle for a movie sticky and a literature sticky if a forum is too much trouble.
Though since MEEMEE TIEM hasn't been stickied yet I doubt the chances of that are good. Please based mods.

-1 these topics aren't talked about enough to warrent it's own section
Perhaps they would be, perhaps not. I see some subforums that are very dead but they still exist(Lookin at you, Diablo 3). I understand if it's too difficult to add, though.

-Marinol-

The broadness of the topic of 'Movies and Literature' would be a little to vague for just a stickied thread imo. What if someone likes one genre of movies or one author's series of books, and the only place to find anyone that does like it is buried in people discussing how George Lucas is a sellout? (yah..) It would dilute the topic to maybe three short posts. It would be difficult to browse past 5 pages of other topics to find them...and the 5 pages after.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
The broadness of the topic of 'Movies and Literature' would be a little to vague for just a stickied thread imo. What if someone likes one genre of movies or one author's series of books, and the only place to find anyone that does like it is buried in people discussing how George Lucas is a sellout? (yah..) It would dilute the topic to maybe three short posts. It would be difficult to browse past 5 pages of other topics to find them...and the 5 pages after.

I understand that you can envision that being an issue, but we have to circle back around and see how much people will actually talk about books and movies. Perhaps this is something you and maybe a couple others would do or maybe a lot of people will. We don't know.

I think starting it out as a topic is a good start and then if the topic becomes unwieldy, then we can point to it and say we need a bigger venue for this discussion.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but I'm just saying I'm not sure we have enough people that would actively talk about it to make it worthwhile.

-Marinol-

I understand that you can envision that being an issue, but we have to circle back around and see how much people will actually talk about books and movies. Perhaps this is something you and maybe a couple others would do or maybe a lot of people will. We don't know.

I think starting it out as a topic is a good start and then if the topic becomes unwieldy, then we can point to it and say we need a bigger venue for this discussion.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but I'm just saying I'm not sure we have enough people that would actively talk about it to make it worthwhile.

That is part of the reason I started the suggestion as well, to start the discourse on its viability. I think personally if it was started, it would fill up faster too, as some folks would even just pop in when a topic they connect with comes up. I mean, with respect, how active is the MLP forum outside perhaps 6 or 7 people? save for the top two topics right now, the gaps between individual posts is pretty large timeframe wise. Today, then yesterday, then 14 January. I feel that the broad topic would fill the requirements equally, or surpassing those specific topic forums.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
True enough. But it's proven in the past that Bottiger isn't too concerned with forum management at this point when it comes to adding and removing new sections. If a great demand for it is shown, then he'll be more likely to make something. He has a lot to deal with so he doesn't want to make something nobody is going to use. MLP section has existed for a long time, and perhaps was created when he had more time (oldfags can verify if they'd like). This was also back in the day when Roman was still around and could take some of the community work off Bott's hands.

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
mlp has its own section all thanks to the people who whined about pony threads in general (so thx 4 that LOL)

so you don't need your own section just post that shit in general nobody cares