courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
My RShift key on my laptop has been acting up lately. It will randomly hold itself down, and i have to press it to turn it off. It's gotten more frequent, doing it every 10 minutes or so. I cleaned my keyboard, there is no debris under the keys. The key is just R.I.P.

I looked towards disabling the key, and was directed towards the program "MapKeyboard" however, when i bring up the map, select RShift, and hit disable, it won't let me save the layout due to something about "Microsoft .NET framework Configuration tool". I googled that, and just got more confused. I'd appreciate someone tech-savvy walking me through this, so i can disable the key. I would rather disable one unnecessary key than buy a new laptop for no reason.

Toxik

Contributor
If it's on a laptop, it probably would be a bother to buy a whole new keyboard just for that. If your laptop is less than one year old, I'd just go with the warranty and get a whole new one and get it over with.
If I were you, I'd just spray the fuck out of under the key with a can of compressed air, or try to find a tutorial on how to remove and reinstall specific keys
If it's not a purely mechanical problem, then I'd do a recovery backup in case it's a program that's messed it up, but I doubt that

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
My RShift key on my laptop has been acting up lately. It will randomly hold itself down, and i have to press it to turn it off. It's gotten more frequent, doing it every 10 minutes or so. I cleaned my keyboard, there is no debris under the keys. The key is just R.I.P.

I looked towards disabling the key, and was directed towards the program "MapKeyboard" however, when i bring up the map, select RShift, and hit disable, it won't let me save the layout due to something about "Microsoft .NET framework Configuration tool". I googled that, and just got more confused. I'd appreciate someone tech-savvy walking me through this, so i can disable the key. I would rather disable one unnecessary key than buy a new laptop for no reason.

If you want to disable it, I'd suggest sharp keys.

https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/releases/view/79616

It's rather straight forward to use and works for me just fine. I used it to rebind my screenshot button to something else.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If you need some help on knowing how to use sharp keys

Click the "Add" button, and this screen will pop up:
89Z5r4M.png

The left side is what your current keys are set to. The right side what you want your keys to do.

So for the left column, find "Special: Right Shift". Click it once to highlight it.

Then, for the right column, you find "Turn key off" (should be at the top). Click it once to highlight it

Then you press "OK", press "Write to registry" and you'll probably have to restart for it to take effect.