Brad

Mildly Menacing Medic
I've just recently been playin' on your guy's 24/7 Dustbowl server (nice server btw) But one thing that brings my piss to a boil is the respawn time, Now, some my not agree with me, But the Red's respawn time is a joke, sometimes i have to wait up to 20-30 seconds to get back into the game, And blu's respawn is lke 5, I know blu is suppose to have less time to respawn, But the gap between the 2 astonishing Have blues respawn be around 5 seconds, and have red be around 10?

JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
Its supposed to be like that, so the attackers at least have a chance of winning.
But i kinda agree too, sometimes its irritating to just sit there helplessly for 10+ seconds
But still, its there to balance the game.

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
valve wants stock spawntimes since they dont understand some people like fast and insta respawn

Xel'Naga

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yeah, that was Valve's call. Not ours.
Adjusting the respawn time is as simple as editing a few lines in the server config. It's super easy to do, and is supported in even the stock server software.

But yes, it is intentional that RED has a higher respawn time than BLU, however I do feel that the stock times set by Valve are a bit extreme. It really makes it so that all BLU has to do is kill two or three decent players on RED and then rush, whereas if you cut RED's respawn by 10 seconds, it makes it a challenge for BLU to push, and requires more effort on their part.

The stock times really just make it too easy if BLU is competent at all, and it takes the fun out of struggling to defend/cap, regardless of which team you're on.

Steak

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
it all comes down to having quick play or not and bott wants quickplay so he can populate his servers they did it with out quickplay and faster respawn times but the servers were much more empty its a trade off

Bottiger

Administrator
Almost all our servers used to have faster respawn times because that is what people kept telling me they wanted.

Now only a few of them do because the Valve invented quickplay which only accepts default respawn times.

Most people will pick whatever server is fuller which means they will pick quickplay enabled servers first. The servers that are fuller are easier to fill because everyone sorts by number of players. So it turns into a snowball effect where quickplay servers get filled and show up at the top of the browser list while non-quickplay servers sink to the bottom and sometimes never fill up all day.

[TC]CreepingDeath

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I've just recently been playin' on your guy's 24/7 Dustbowl server (nice server btw) But one thing that brings my piss to a boil is the respawn time, Now, some my not agree with me, But the Red's respawn time is a joke, sometimes i have to wait up to 20-30 seconds to get back into the game, And blu's respawn is lke 5, I know blu is suppose to have less time to respawn, But the gap between the 2 astonishing Have blues respawn be around 5 seconds, and have red be around 10?
Suggestion: Don't die as often.

If you're waiting 20-30 seconds for respawn on red... Well, your watch might be fast. The default respawn wave for red is set to 10 seconds, which means your respawn will be between 10 and 20 seconds. Blue's respawn is set to 2, which means between 2 and 4 seconds.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What you mean by "quickplay"?
Quickplay allows you to pick a game mode and TF2 will dump you onto a server. To be in that selection you have to have default spawn times

If you're waiting 20-30 seconds for respawn on red... Well, your watch might be fast. The default respawn wave for red is set to 10 seconds, which means your respawn will be between 10 and 20 seconds. Blue's respawn is set to 2, which means between 2 and 4 seconds.
I know this is in theory, but I've definitely seen the spawn timer at 23 seconds. I think it also takes into account how often your team is killing / getting killed. I can't substantiate that claim though.

EDIT: SUBSTANTIATION! I guess it does it in waves and respawn times can fluctuate due to many factors. So in theory it can be more than 20 seconds in some cases.

Team Fortress 2 manages its respawn times in waves. The default respawn wave is 10 seconds. This would mean that players are spawned every 10 seconds. However, unless the server population is low, you will most likely have to wait for the wave after. In this case, the maximum respawn time any individual would have is 20 seconds.
Respawn Wave (Minimum Time)​
Maximum Time (Wave x2)​
10 20
2 4

Actual respawn times cannot be shorter than approximately 5 seconds.
Note: Respawn times tend to fluctuate slightly due to many factors such as server population.

Brad

Mildly Menacing Medic

Well here is the thing though, If i just died, Respawned, and just got killed by a demoman spawn camping me and the rest of my team, How am i suppose to "try and not to die as often"?
Theorically, By time we take him out, we've just wasted 2 minutes (maybe more) and by that time, We've already lost the game, more people have come to spawn camp us, or we're "on deaths door" at losing the game.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
What you mean by "quickplay"?
This

Well here is the thing though, If i just died, Respawned, and just got killed by a demoman spawn camping me and the rest of my team, How am i suppose to "try and not to die as often"?
You're fighting someone through a door which only you can open or close and you have a resupply locker too, how is he exactly in any advantage? Yeah, at the first time he will take you by surprise, but after that he can only kill you if you decide to walk into that stickytrap again and again...

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
By the time his uber is charged, thats about a minute and a half, just about as much time wasted.
then get one of those dr enforcicle noobs to just two shot him so you can run out and cap a point with the uber instead of ubering out of spawn

Brad

Mildly Menacing Medic
Then how come you can always build up in a setup of attack/defend or payload games? : )

I'm sure a uber doesn't carry over on our death when we respawn.

I think you said it best yourself
Yeah, at the first time he will take you by surprise, but after that he can only kill you if you decide to walk into that stickytrap again and again...

IF you meant build up (as engie) It's not that difficult for the Demo to sticky jump past them, even in badwater