• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Pre: Not sure if this should be in Technology or here, apologies if I am wrong.

I keep getting "Engine Error - Out of Memory" crashes on TF2, sometimes every 30 minutes, sometimes every hour - for the past day (might've been since update yesterday maybe), has anyone come across this before and have any ways of fixing it?

Reactions: Daddy No Chill

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
@Pedro the fabulous
@Cream Tea
@ other mappers

Are these sounds used in JB?
pb_sounds\new weapon (background noise).mp3
pb_sounds\specialround.mp3

I think these might be making me crash, my console before crash:
Failed to create decoder for MP3 [ pb_sounds\specialround.mp3 ]
Failed to create decoder for MP3 [ pb_sounds\new weapon (background noise).mp3 ]
Failed to create decoder for MP3 [ pb_sounds\new weapon (background noise).mp3 ]
Out of memory or address space. Texture quality setting may be too high.

Repeats those two lines a lot.

Pedro the fabulous

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Master Mapper
@Pedro the fabulous
@Cream Tea
@ other mappers

Are these sounds used in JB?
pb_sounds\new weapon (background noise).mp3
pb_sounds\specialround.mp3

I think these might be making me crash, my console before crash:

Repeats those two lines a lot.

Yeah, those sounds are used in ba_mlcastle. The pb_ prefix is used for any custom stuff related to the map itself.

What @Slippery Nipple said above is the correct fix, so i'll tl;dr it for the lazy to find the answer:
Go to your \custom\Team Fortress 2\tf\ folder and then delete every single [anything]sound.cache files, then go to the sound folder and delete the sound.cache file. (re)start TF2 and try out the sounds. Don't worry about the files, they'll come back.

These sort of problems tend to happen with custom sounds every some now and then, but atleast the fix is easy enough.

omkarkalegta59870690085

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Pre: Not sure if this should be in Technology or here, apologies if I am wrong.

I keep getting "Engine Error - Out of Memory" crashes on TF2, sometimes every 30 minutes, sometimes every hour - for the past day (might've been since update yesterday maybe), has anyone come across this before and have any ways of fixing it?
This happens to always on most of the games