Engine Error - Out of Memory

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Luke, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Luke

Luke Legendary Skial King Contributor

Steam:

Pre: Not sure if this should be in Technology or here, apologies if I am wrong.

I keep getting "Engine Error - Out of Memory" crashes on TF2, sometimes every 30 minutes, sometimes every hour - for the past day (might've been since update yesterday maybe), has anyone come across this before and have any ways of fixing it?

2. Luke

Luke Legendary Skial King Contributor

Steam:

@Pedro the fabulous
    @Cream Tea
    @ other mappers

Are these sounds used in JB?
    pb_sounds\new weapon (background noise).mp3
    pb_sounds\specialround.mp3

I think these might be making me crash, my console before crash:
    Repeats those two lines a lot.

3. Slip

Slip Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight Mapper

Steam:

4. Pedro the fabulous

Pedro the fabulous Trade Moderator Contributor Master Mapper

Steam:

Yeah, those sounds are used in ba_mlcastle. The pb_ prefix is used for any custom stuff related to the map itself.

What @Slippery Nipple said above is the correct fix, so i'll tl;dr it for the lazy to find the answer:
    Go to your \custom\Team Fortress 2\tf\ folder and then delete every single [anything]sound.cache files, then go to the sound folder and delete the sound.cache file. (re)start TF2 and try out the sounds. Don't worry about the files, they'll come back.

These sort of problems tend to happen with custom sounds every some now and then, but atleast the fix is easy enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice