TallPaul

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I would like to bring up the topic of selective enforcement of bigoted comments in your servers.

While discussing a player's ban for typing the word "NIQQA" (and subsequent song request "My Nigga"), another player aggressively called me a faggot twice, and admitted it to the admin that was present when a log was requested. No ban/mute/gag or even a warning was made.

I am disappointed blatant insults using strong homophobic language is allowed. Especially on voice chat with all talk enabled (as opposed to a player typing nigga and not directing it as an insult towards another player). The last thing I want to hear while trying to relax and play TF2 is a bunch of people calling each other faggot.

It is too bad the admin had to proceed to debate this "grey area" with players for the next hour. The admin explained fag/faggot may be perceived as "internet talk", but is that really an excuse to stand by and allow homophobic behavior? Do you really want homophobia to be permissible on your servers? Couldn't one argue that homosexual slurs are just as damaging in a video game as racial slurs, and perhaps more applicable given the player demographic?

I thought I would bring the topic up for discussion because it was stated by the admin this view is held by all the Skial admins. I'm glad this issue came up before I donated.

(skial.com | DUSTBOWL+ | LA)

TallPaul

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Welcome to Skial. Enjoy your stay.

Now go suck a bag of dicks, faggot.

I think I'll stay with my gf, but thanks for supplying your bag of dicks.

If I don't start the discussion, who will. Perhaps its a sore topic after seeing too many patients that were victims of hate crimes. Or to see the bigotry my cousin puts up with.

But perhaps I'm expecting too much of an intellectual discourse from some gamer whose probably also racist.

Deer Force

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
dude i love dicks and i never thought of it as homophobic
calling someone a faggot on the internet is different from calling them a faggot irl
now stop being a faggot

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The no insults towards gender, religion, etc. rule isn't as strictly enforced as racism. It's there more as a "just in case" rule for more extreme/serious cases.

If someone is completely thrashing on someone's gender or sexuality we'll step in, but if some guy goes around and calls someone a "faggot" we won't silence them. The word is such a common and overused insult on the internet its usually not even used to insult someone's sexuality anymore.

On top of that, if we silenced anyone and everyone who used it we would end up silencing a huge chunk of the player base.

With all due respect and no offense intended, you really should learn to not let that generic insult get to you. Being a admin and especially a furry I get called 'fag' and 'furfag' on a near daily basis (and I'm bisexual so I could take it more personally if I wanted to) but I don't because the day I start taking shit talking strangers on the internet seriously is the day I stop liking cats. It will be a snowy day in hell when that happens.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
What if I call someone who is straight a faggot? is that still homophobic?

Jeez, this debate is older than the hills, and we have discussed this numerous times and everytime came to the same conclusion.. faggot is allowed.

ToTeM

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i cant even think of the word Faggot as an insult to gay people, it has totally lost its meaning due to over use
Faggot is just an empty insult now
its not that big a deal, i mean i know it can be offensive to some people but there is nothing that can be done about it

Sheev_Palpatine

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I've been called fag a lot, and yes I'm bi. Most people that throw it around in the game don't even realize how insulting it is, so I consider it completely empty. There's no reason for me to take it to heart. There's a huge difference to me between someone throwing the word faggot around and someone actually targeting me to insult my sexuality. Just let it roll off your back.