Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Here ya go:

34nf786.png

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Do "arp -a" and post the output here.
Actually, it looks like it dropped to 68ms from 85ms on the last hop...

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kenneth>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.2 --- 0xe
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.1 00-26-b8-49-73-dc dynamic
192.168.1.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

C:\Users\Kenneth>

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Even though I see no obvious bogus routes, try:
Code:
netsh interface ip delete arpcache
Once executed, verify that arp cache was actually flushed by running arp -a again and making sure you get 'No ARP Entries Found" in response. Then try to simply ping the IP address in question and post the result here. Also after pinging do arp -a again and post the output.

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ip delete arpcache
Ok.

C:\Windows\system32>arp -a
No ARP Entries Found.

C:\Windows\system32>ping 108.61.46.50

Pinging 108.61.46.50 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 108.61.46.50: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=55
Reply from 108.61.46.50: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=55
Reply from 108.61.46.50: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=55
Reply from 108.61.46.50: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 108.61.46.50:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 72ms, Maximum = 80ms, Average = 76ms

C:\Windows\system32>

C:\Windows\system32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.2 --- 0xe
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.1 00-26-b8-49-73-dc dynamic
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static

C:\Windows\system32>

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
None at all.

On BroadbandReports I've got the following responses:

I may be completely wrong, but it looks like the last Verizon router is hop 8(MCI/VZ Business, located in VA). The next hop is a transit provider(France Telecom) located in Paris, France(?) which acts as a middleman between Verizon and Choopa LLC(the game hosting company, located in NJ). Either Verizon's edge router at hop 8 is overloaded(possible) or Choopa hasn't purchased enough bandwidth from it's transit provider(more likely).

With the transit provider being in France, this becomes a terrible path to take for online gaming(80-100ms roundtrip between NY-Europe) but possibly the cheapest for Choopa LLC to connect with Verizon. I remember this hosting company from years ago when I played another online game and I know the routing was much quicker back then(15-20ms). It's possible Choopa LLC has made new arrangements for its transit services since then or Hurricane Sandy forced that move.

Thanks for pointing out the issues to Choopa Serge. I haven't played on any servers hosted by them in a while but I definitely recall getting 25ms or less to their servers before:

That is pretty awful for a server in New York o.O . Meanwhile at work, getting 8ms to that from Buffalo.

I really wonder what the deal is here. There's a lot of locations I'm seeing high latency to compared to normal and the 'net definitely feels sluggish around those times, but the problem isn't local. It's always something in New York that shows an issue (why I wish all of our traffic wasn't piped to there). While the hop there is apparently to France or owned by a French company, it isn't going to France as latency would be double of what it's doing now.

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Skial NY servers appear to be experiencing higher latency. I'm pinging lower to other clan servers that use Choopa than the Skial NY servers, 15ms - 20ms compared to 80ms -100ms on Skial.

This is a traceroute to Jerma's server which also appears to be using Choopa:

30sxfg9.png

A couple hops are omitted compared to the traceroute for Skial NY servers including the apparent hop to France. I would probably be experiencing ping in the single digits if it weren't for being routed through Virginia as well as other unnecessary hops.

Bottiger

Administrator
Your traceroute clearly shows that it is a Verizon problem. Your ping goes from 10 ms to 100 ms between Verizon and "alter.net" which is "Verizon Business".

To solve this problem you should contact Verizon with this information. I have contacted my host, but all they can do is contact Verizon, just like you.

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Did you see the last traceroute posted above? This is exclusive to the Skial NY servers only, other servers in NY & NY which use Choopa are fine.

Bottiger

Administrator
It doesn't matter. The traceroute shows the proof.

You can have different routing for IPs owned by the same host. And unfortunately for us, Verizon screwed up the routing for our IPs.

By the way, if you couldn't tell, 63.88.105.94 is a verizon router.

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Alright, sorry. I'm getting mixed information as to who is at fault. On BroadbandReports they are claiming it's likely an issue with the isp/host for the game servers. I didn't really know what the issue was since my ping to other servers is fine. :/

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
By the way, have you tried "route /f" command? If not - try and and then reboot your PC. See if it helps. But before you do that do "route print" and post an output here.
That'll only show the local routes within the local network.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Alright, sorry. I'm getting mixed information as to who is at fault. On BroadbandReports they are claiming it's likely an issue with the isp/host for the game servers. I didn't really know what the issue was since my ping to other servers is fine. :/
In some cases yes. It's really the Tier 1 providers fault though (Verizon and Alternet). This most likely wouldn't happen if the server path didn't involve peering with another provider. Just so happens that the best path to the server has a slow link. I doubt you'll get very far or to a tech that actually understands what's going on. It really needs to be escalated to a network engineer.

EDIT: Also, just to confirm it's Verizon. I'm on Cox and I'm much farther away from the server than you:

O3Dixh3.png

Fewer hops, and no big ping times. Also, I don't have the picture, but I did a ping at work which uses Verizon Business (about 10 minutes away from my house) and it took 25 hops and had big pings. So it's definitely a Verizon issue.

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
My ping is suddenly back to normal for some reason. I am keeping an eye on everything to see if the issue is indeed resolved or if it's going to be short lived.

Edit: Yep..short lived, now right back up at 80ms - 90ms. :/

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
My ping is suddenly back to normal for some reason. I am keeping an eye on everything to see if the issue is indeed resolved or if it's going to be short lived.

Edit: Yep..short lived, now right back up at 80ms - 90ms. :/
Well I think we've fairly well proven that it's an ISP issue that we can't control besides attempting to move the server somewhere else.

Xtreme2damax

Gore-Spattered Heavy
This seems to be resolved now. I released my DHCP lease in the router and shut my router off for fifteen minutes. I was able to get a new route and once again have low ping to the servers.