Sir Trooper

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Mapper
I'm currently making a deathrun map. I would just like some help with an issue I'm having. Some of the traps (the explosive ones) damage is going through the walls and killing the blue. Is there anyway to set the walls to block all damage? Also what rules must maps follow to be allowed on skial servers.

Thank you.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
For the the explosive traps, how are you creating them? env_explosion?

As long as the maps are not riddled with bugs and don't crash the server (intentionally or accidentally), as long as its popular with the playerbase it qualifies for the server

Sir Trooper

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Mapper
Yes I made them with env_explosion. But I used the facesheet tool to paint the hales side nobullets and now the damage doesn't go through.

worMatty

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Mapper
Hi, there.

You're always best to texture the inside of your activator corridor with tools/blockbullets or tools/blockbullets2. As the name suggests, any brush that has a face textured with this material will not allow bullets or projectile damage to penetrate it.

Make sure you build your separating wall at least 24 units thick (probably wise to stick to a 32 unit grid size for most things) otherwise the activator's weapon model will stick through it!

I also advise people to use this material over something like glass because it provides a clear, unobstructed view through to the runner's course, and it cannot be sprayed on.

Sir Trooper

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Mapper
For the the explosive traps, how are you creating them? env_explosion?

As long as the maps are not riddled with bugs and don't crash the server (intentionally or accidentally), as long as its popular with the playerbase it qualifies for the server

I'm new to mapping so what can cuz a map to crash the server? Just so I can keep it in mind as I continue.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I'm new to mapping so what can cuz a map to crash the server? Just so I can keep it in mind as I continue.
What immediately comes to mind is when a map surpasses capacity limits hardcoded into Source and the map itself, can cause a plethora of issues in the map/server aside from just crashing. Hammer's compile log will tell you the condition of your data capacities in the map, it will tell you in the log that it is very full

Just for an easy example;
2020-01-31-18-41-23-C-Users-Jacob-Desktop-Valve-Hammer-VMFs-new-dr-home-dr-home-sweet-home-v4-skial.png

You can also create some fucked up I/O's that cause slow loops which lag the server or outright crash the server.

「Coronarena」

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Something I do for env_explosion if I'm not confident in it killing people only in the trap boundary's, is just remove all damage from the explosion and use a trigger hurt that disables itself 0.01 seconds after being enabled. The main downside to this is that it uses another edict, but unless you're going for a playstation sized map, you needn't worry about those.

As worMatty has mentioned, use blockbullets for hales side. As long as your explosion isn't killing people half way across the map, there's no need for the method I've stated.

worMatty

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Mapper
I wouldn't worry too much about the compile tool limits. If you exceed them your map just won't compile, so you won't be able to run it on a server anyway. The entity data is a measure of the size of your entity data lump, which is a record of all the logical entities in your map. That will become larger with more entities and even if you use longer targetnames. The limit you see in Hammer's report is an old and overly cautious one which can be safely ignored.