• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

ganibattlebear

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Just a matter of opinion for me. The only feedback given to Valve approved into the game is mostly just very small bugs that don't break the game. Anyone disagree?

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just a matter of opinion for me. The only feedback given to Valve approved into the game is mostly just very small bugs that don't break the game. Anyone disagree?
It's not a feeling, it's reality. Fact of the matter is, while I think the TF2 community is better, the real moneymaker is CSGO and Dota 2. A problem (which is debatable) at Valve is how their workers are dispersed. Valve employees are allowed to work wherever they choose. This means they could work at the TF2 departments, CSGO department, Dota 2 department, or other departments like the group working on the HTC Vive. Thinking about it, testing and using the HTC Vive would be much more fun then coding in TF2's sloppy code. I imagine there's actually very few people working at the TF2 department, the only 2 Valve employees I know that do work there are Jill and EricS.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Let's do a little business studies, shall we?
MquKRAh.png

As we can see from the diagram, CS:GO is way more profitable than TF2 thus Valve spends more of their time and effort on CS:GO rather than TF2.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Let's do a little business studies, shall we?
MquKRAh.png

As we can see from the diagram, CS:GO is way more profitable than TF2 thus Valve spends more of their time and effort on CS:GO rather than TF2.
Not quite sure where this comes from... but it's wrong.
CS:GO's market is growing due to the promotion that it has been getting, so CS:GO is actually much higher on the "Market Growth" side, the explosion that has been E-Sports in general means that CS:GO is probably still in the lower end of the "Stars" bracket, meanwhile TF2 has no real "biggest competitor" some might say Overwatch but you can't really compare the two games. TF2 has a huge market share, especially if you look at the age of the game, the number of people playing it is massive and it has no real competitor - so TF2 is much more likely to be in the "Cash Cows" section.

It's interesting if you factor in other games by Valve too, I'll just list them off - along with where I believe they are:
  • CS:GO - Star
  • TF2 - Cash Cow
  • Dota2 - Cash Cow (market share big, but the market has probably peaked by now)
  • Portal 2 - Cash Cow/Dog (no real market growth for puzzle games, not sure how much relative share it has)
  • Left 4 Dead 2 - Cash Cow (zombie survival market has dwindled, but L4D is still a prominent series)
  • Day of Defeat: Source - Question Mark
  • Half Life 2 - Cash Cow (no real market growth, notable property)