Gwor

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
I'm traveling this weekend and planning on attempting to play all my scrims on a brand new macbook. I have almost no time between now and then to research or test. Is there anything I should know? I could use advice for configs and useful settings for macs, HUDs, getting my death adder to work, any third party programs that might be necessary, etc... Thanks in advance!

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Macs crash a lot with TF2, for some people it works okay, while others its pretty bad.

Honestly I wouldn't play tf2 on a macbook, if i wanted to play on an Apple product I would only play it on an iMac. I don't see it being too good on a macbook.

Otherwise all the settings and stuff are just like a PC for the most part. Just put configs in their proper folder.

On a macbook, expect to play somewhere on medium to avoid frame drops and it crashes sometimes.

But other than that, it's pretty much identical to the game on a PC.

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If your gonna play on a Mac bear in mind that the file directories are different from a windows. Also contrary to popular belief tf2 really doesn't have that much more trouble on Macs if your connection is solid. I've never suffered from random crashes on my MacBook Air just a little more lag than there should be.

Gwor

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Does anyone make a decent HUD for mac? Or do the regular HUDs work?

CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I use a iMac and It works fine. Only complaint is my autoexec is MIA

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You can make your own autoexec
The mac won't let you put it anywhere beyond the Steam folder however. Like CDAWG said it disappears when you try. It's because of the default file restrictions the mac has. Been trying for a few days now to bypass it but no luck.

Gwor

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
The mac won't let you put it anywhere beyond the Steam folder however. Like CDAWG said it disappears when you try. It's because of the default file restrictions the mac has. Been trying for a few days now to bypass it but no luck.
I made one, it disappeared and I tried it again but same result. It is my project for this long weekend to make an auto exec then get me some custom huds 'n stuff
On a macbook, expect to play somewhere on medium to avoid frame drops and it crashes sometimes.

But other than that, it's pretty much identical to the game on a PC.
Macs crash a lot with TF2, for some people it works okay, while others its pretty bad.

Honestly I wouldn't play tf2 on a macbook, if i wanted to play on an Apple product I would only play it on an iMac. I don't see it being too good on a macbook.

Otherwise all the settings and stuff are just like a PC for the most part. Just put configs in their proper folder.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it ended up working out pretty well. I was getting 30fps before I figured out how to load chris' max frames, which brought me up to 200. Much bigger difference on the mac than my PC, kind of interesting. I also installed the razer mouse software and was able to smooth out most of the pointer sluggishness. It ended up just being too different-feeling from my PC to be a good solution for only 2 days.