Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Ok so I had this problem before but I thought it was just my graphics card. I got a new a while ago (GeForce GTX 660) and no help.
I'm also using a, windows 7 64 bit, with an AMD Phenom II X4 995 Processor.
My problem now is I found out what caused this, its when I shift tab in game, randomly it will happen. My screen will just go black and a 50/50 chances that my game will still work or I have to shut the game down. Also any videos playing turns green. This also effects my second monitor. Iv had this problem for years due to this being a custom built computer but I wanted to know if there was any help with this. Iv upgraded all the parts to my computer besides my mother board.

Anybody got any ideas if theirs a fix for this? This problem used to occur when I play games but now it only happens when I use shift tab alot and if i stay in it to long.

Last edited:

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Have you tried reinstalling DirectX?

Also, would be helpful if you gave more details, such as your system specs and operating system.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
You may want to rollback your drivers and see if that helps, or you could try putting your GPU in another PCIe slot as it could be a motherboard issue.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Have you tried reinstalling DirectX?

Also, would be helpful if you gave more details, such as your system specs and operating system.
No that did nothing when I did that long ago. I also had my pc reset possibly 5 - 6 months ago so the problems still there ither way. I'm using windows 7 64 bit, with an AMD Phenom II X4 995 Processor.

Last edited:

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You may want to rollback your drivers and see if that helps, or you could try putting your GPU in another PCIe slot as it could be a motherboard issue.
Did a rollback that long ago when I had this problem. Did nothing but make the problem worse. Did the slots and did nothing different. I'm not really willing to get a new motherboard right now so Id like to see if there is any form of fix. Sometimes this problem will happen alot and sometimes it will lay dormant for weeks to months never happening and come back, being the biggest pain when it does because sometimes it will happen constantly, even when I'm not in game. If I restart my computer it seems to do it much less then normal when it starts to go ape shit.

SPYderman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Maybe the card is defected? I had an old gtx 520 that I had on a budget rig and it never worked when playing any games. It would always blue screen or just never load any of the games.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Maybe the card is defected? I had an old gtx 520 that I had on a budget rig and it never worked when playing any games. It would always blue screen or just never load any of the games.
It's brand new. And my older graphics card did the same thing. If both cards had the problem then Nvida needs to stop breaking shit. The graphics card works perfectly fine, like i said this only happens when I stay in the steam overlay (shift tab) for to long or do it to much. Or it will just happen because it feels like it. It gets annoying real quick when it happens every 5 minutes. But then sometimes it runs 100% fine and does nothing wrong for a very long time. But when it comes back it lets me know it wants me to kill myself.

SPYderman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It's brand new. And my older graphics card did the same thing. If both cards had the problem then Nvida needs to stop breaking shit. The graphics card works perfectly fine, like i said this only happens when I stay in the steam overlay (shift tab) for to long or do it to much. Or it will just happen because it feels like it. It gets annoying real quick when it happens every 5 minutes. But then sometimes it runs 100% fine and does nothing wrong for a very long time. But when it comes back it lets me know it wants me to kill myself.
Well maybe its just a problem in steam itself? Have you tried re-running the steam installer and having it repair itself?

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well maybe its just a problem in steam itself? Have you tried re-running the steam installer and having it repair itself?
Yep. Nothing. I do think its linked up with steam possibly sense it seems to happen the most on the steam overlay.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Just for grins and giggles try opting IN to Steam beta.

Steam>Settings>Account>Beta Participation>Change> click Steam Beta Update click OK click OK
restart Steam

Also is your monitor running in native resolution? Do you run games in native resolution?

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor

Steam>Settings>Account>Beta Participation>Change> click Steam Beta Update click OK click OK
restart Steam

Also is your monitor running in native resolution? Do you run games in native resolution?
Ill give that a try.

Also my monitor is a 1900 x 600 and yes I do for games on native. I have a second monitor as well but this problem has been happening way before I got one. Infact when my second one is on the problem tends to happen less.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor

restart Steam

Just to let you know this did nothing.

I honestly think it's a motherboard problem. Do you have a spare motherboard to test out at all?
No i do not but I don't know if that would be a drastic thing to just get a new one. Because its only when I shift tab and it does not do it anywhere else.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Could be worth a shot
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947&l=english
  • -windowed or -sw - Forces the engine to start in windowed mode.
  • -w <width> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <width>.
  • -h <height> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <height>. This launch option does not need to be set in the presence of -w. The width value with determine the height automatically.
Will still run your games in what appears to be full screen, but is actually in a separate window.