PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
So I decided to play this shit called CS:GO yesterday.
I do have relatively powerful PC with i7-950 (quad core with hyperthreading), 6GB of dual channel RAM, and GTX460 with the latest drivers.

Initially everything was fine, but after ~20 mins of playing I heard some beeping sound coming through my headphones. I took them off and I realized that beeping was coming from the area where my PC and UPS reside. It wasn't cyclic or constant beeping but rather intermittent and occurring at random times.

An attempt to find out where this beeping is coming from failed. I couldn't determine whether it's coming from my UPS (but it definitely sounded like the one UPS usually produces) or from my motherboard/GPU due to high temperature.

Then I paid attention to CPU and RAM usage on my G510's display. Holy SHIT! It was 70% of CPU and 85% of RAM.

Now for comparison, when I run TF2 (which I believe is running on the same source engine), my CPU consumption does not go above 15% and my RAM consumption stays below 50%.

I open up my PC and I realize that it was performing apartment heater's functions when CS:GO was running. Fans on GPU and CPU were going FUCKING NUTS, blowing out hot air like there is no tomorrow. I checked GPU's temperature and it was 85C whereas even in StarCraft II with Ultimate video settings it was not going above 75C.

So I quit CS:GO and what did I see? My RAM usage wouldn't drop below 65% even though nothing was running and system was basically in standby mode (usually RAM consumption is 40% when system is in standby mode).

Anyone has been observing the same behavior? Is CS:GO a black hole for real? Or are there serious memory leaks that CS:GO might be causing? Or it's just my hands growing out of my ass?

joemaster725

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
So I decided to play this shit called CS:GO yesterday.
I do have relatively powerful PC with i7-950 (quad core with hyperthreading), 6GB of dual channel RAM, and GTX460 with the latest drivers.

Initially everything was fine, but after ~20 mins of playing I heard some beeping sound coming through my headphones. I took them off and I realized that beeping was coming from the area where my PC and UPS reside. It wasn't cyclic or constant beeping but rather intermittent and occurring at random times.

An attempt to find out where this beeping is coming from failed. I couldn't determine whether it's coming from my UPS (but it definitely sounded like the one UPS usually produces) or from my motherboard/GPU due to high temperature.

Then I paid attention to CPU and RAM usage on my G510's display. Holy SHIT! It was 70% of CPU and 85% of RAM.

Now for comparison, when I run TF2 (which I believe is running on the same source engine), my CPU consumption does not go above 15% and my RAM consumption stays below 50%.

I open up my PC and I realize that it was performing apartment heater's functions when CS:GO was running. Fans on GPU and CPU were going FUCKING NUTS, blowing out hot air like there is no tomorrow. I checked GPU's temperature and it was 85C whereas even in StarCraft II with Ultimate video settings it was not going above 75C.

So I quit CS:GO and what did I see? My RAM usage wouldn't drop below 65% even though nothing was running and system was basically in standby mode (usually RAM consumption is 40% when system is in standby mode).

Anyone has been observing the same behavior? Is CS:GO a black hole for real? Or are there serious memory leaks that CS:GO might be causing? Or it's just my hands growing out of my ass?
i have not been noticing any problems with cs go, and my pc is running normally when i play it... so it is most likely a problem on your end... maybe a look through event viewer might help narrow it down?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i have not been noticing any problems with cs go, and my pc is running normally when i play it... so it is most likely a problem on your end... maybe a look through event viewer might help narrow it down?
Nothing in there. It was the first place I checked.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well, it looks like I have something to make myself busy this long weekend. Re-installing the motherfucking OS. I wanted to do it for some time now. Haven't re-installed the OS for 2 years now.

[Interrogator]

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Well, it looks like I have something to make myself busy this long weekend. Re-installing the motherfucking OS. I wanted to do it for some time now. Haven't re-installed the OS for 2 years now.
It would be hilarious if it was something to do with your hardware

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I've noticed the source engine sometimes makes my GFX card freak out. I think this is caused by giant jumps in rendering it has to make. I wouldn't be surprised in memory leaks. I'm guessing it's just texture rendering bugs. Anything spewing out in CONSOLE? I know MvM mode sometimes caused CONSOLE barfing.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Anything spewing out in CONSOLE?
I've checked that as well. There was nothing I could've considered to be suspicious.

What prevents me from seriously considering hardware as a primary cause of this issue is the fact that running other games that consume much more resources causes no problems whatsoever.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
You have run into the same problem I ran into at one point. It only supports 330W draw. When you've got multiple monitors and video cards, it can cause problems when you're gaming sometimes...

That's another story.

Regardless, not sure what it is in CS:GO that makes your computer shit the bed. Try lowering the settings to the minimum and play for a little bit. See if it does it still.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You have run into the same problem I ran into at one point. It only supports 330W draw. When you've got multiple monitors and video cards, it can cause problems when you're gaming sometimes...

That's another story.

Regardless, not sure what it is in CS:GO that makes your computer shit the bed. Try lowering the settings to the minimum and play for a little bit. See if it does it still.
Will do. I have some time this long weekend I could use to troubleshoot this shit.
And, thanks for valuable input.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
I often find myself looking at the UPS section at local retailers thinking "Perhaps it's time to upgrade from that 550VA I jacked from my old roommate."

It's almost cheaper to get two battery backups, though, instead of one larger one. Problem then is my computer, still. Fuck it. I'll wait until the battery dies.