Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
This is one thing I do not understand. Why would this be such a terrible loss? As long as it wasn't the children themselves, I don't see why.

Probably because I'm either just stupid, or ignorant.

What Deadfront said. Also, pictures of loved ones and family members who have passed can be very important to people.

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
If this virus isn't well designed, it's quite possible the encryption key is stored in RAM and could be extracted with a memory editor. Perhaps setting up a number of virtual machines and installing this virus, comparing a dump of the virus' memory from each virtual machine, would hint as to which part of the virus' memory address space contains the encryption key.

It's also possible the files that have been encrypted have not always existed at their current physical location on the disk. Making a dump of the disk and using computer forensics tools may allow you to recover some of your data.

Last edited:

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If this virus isn't well designed, it's quite possible the encryption key is stored in RAM and could be extracted with a memory editor.
This is not how this virus works. Encryption key is stored in the cloud or on the server(s) of those who are performing an attack.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
By the way.. Got an email yesterday....

dBoGBJw.jpg

How do you think, what this attachment contains? :)

Drum

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Mapper
Won't be able to have any, guess that's why it doesn't really phase me in any way.
It's not even limited to that, a lot of people have files or projects that would be impossible to replace. I have about ~50 gigs of mixed media projects that I wouldn't be able to replace if I lost 'em. Which is why I have them backed up, but a lot of people put backing things up off until something happens and they lose that data.