Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The best thing to avoid this thing is to always have back-ups.There are websites that you can send back-ups to and they will hold onto it for free until you ask for it back.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The best thing to avoid this thing is to always have back-ups.There are websites that you can send back-ups to and they will hold onto it for free until you ask for it back.

Glad you posted this I was shocked that no one had brought this up.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Because what if your computer crashes and you lose all your data? Or, your laptop gets stolen? Or broken?

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Why would you back up to a website if you can back it up yourself?

Because not everyone knows that buying 3TB external USB 3.0 hard drive and back up to it is cheaper than paying annual fee for backing up your data to the cloud.
On the other hand, it's safer to keep your backup "offsite" in case of natural disaster.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I just thought it was common sense.

Hell you don't even need a 3TB. My external, for backing up, is only 250GB

I'm backing up my old movies collection as well, so I have two 3TB HDDs which I'm storing in the bank's safe deposit box and take them home for backup twice a month.

Reactions: Shula

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It basically looks like "Don't be an idiot and you won't get the virus"
I've been reading some websites about it, saying that "Don't open attachments from emails you don't know" and "Don't visit suspicious websites"

Ceubie

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I've been reading some websites about it, saying that "Don't open attachments from emails you don't know" and "Don't visit suspicious websites"

I only check my email to see if I got an ESO beta invite.

Thanks, Zenimax, for discluding me from everything.

Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I've backed up my data on an external for a few years now. It just makes sense to me. I also keep it in a small fireproof safe near the desk. I'd probably have a stroke if I lost all the pictures of the kids and the rest of my documents.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor

That the basic rule of thumb with 95% of viruses.

Ceubie

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'd probably have a stroke if I lost all the pictures of the kids
This is one thing I do not understand. Why would this be such a terrible loss? As long as it wasn't the children themselves, I don't see why.

Probably because I'm either just stupid, or ignorant.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
This is one thing I do not understand. Why would this be such a terrible loss? As long as it wasn't the children themselves, I don't see why.

Probably because I'm either just stupid, or ignorant.

You have any kids? It is huge for a parent to have the time pieces of our kids growing up.

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
All you guys talking about saving as .gifs and shit, do you not know the mastery of not having an extension at all?

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
All you guys talking about saving as .gifs and shit, do you not know the mastery of not having an extension at all?

This doesn't seem to affect .rar files, so just pack all those pics into a compressed file and then you have copies which are safe.