SgtGiraffe

Legendary Skial King
everytime i run a game any game it crashes the only games that seem to be able to stay up are low resource games or games that have the graphics turned all the way down

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Whats your specs? And what kind of crash? Take a picture of it or explain it. Anyone with knowledge of this can't help you with minimum information.

SgtGiraffe

Legendary Skial King
So what happens is that every time I start a game example: dota 2 I start it up and my screen goes to standby and my computer reboots usually the moment I start it or it will sometimes make it to the menu and then it will do it

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
From my personal experience, this could mean your graphics card is dying. Because my card used to do this long ago and the exact stuff happened to me.

Reactions: SgtGiraffe

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Could you give us a little more information such as what operating system you're running and what video card you have? If you swapped out the PSU are you sure it still has enough power to run your hardware?

Also, have you tried updating your video card drivers or installing a older driver if you're currently using the latest driver for your video card?

When your computer restarts have you been having any bluescreen errors?

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Abrupt restarts are usually done to prevent hardware damage, so it sounds like something may be shorting or overheating.

Last edited:

bluehawk

Legendary Skial King
I'm starting to think every one of these help threads is just a troll. People always ask for specs and more info and op always ignores those questions. For all we know he's using Mac, Linux windows 95. Which he stuck a gtx 770 into a windows 95 machine. A little info can reall help. It also helps telling us how many beeps your computer makes on start up long or short beeps and how many.

SarcasticWisdom

Australian Skial God
Contributor
This is probably a dumb reason but maybe its this that they fixed in the new steam beta update
Steam Client Beta Update - June 3
We've just published a new beta which includes the following changes.

General
  • Fixed regression causing certain games to crash on startup
  • Fixed downloading games in development
  • Fixed some cases where Steam wasn't asking the user if they wanted to let the game update when re-launching after a game crash
Mac OS X
  • Fixed a crash affecting some users running OS X Mavericks
Big Picture
  • Decreased sensitivity of trigger buttons for fast paging in library all games view
  • Decreased sensitivity of analog triggers for mode switches in daisywheel text input
  • Fixed hotkeys involving ctrl/alt/shift modifies not functioning in the in-game overlay as intended
  • Windows: Ensure that we try to forcefully take window focus back on game exit, which deals with some cases where games with launchers could lead windows to restore focus to a random non-Steam window
  • Windows: Performance improvements for the in-game overlay in D3D9ex, D3D10, D3D10.1, and D3D11 games
In-Home Streaming
  • Fixed regression causing a crash using Alt-Enter with the performance stats visible

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Have you checked Event Viewer (Assuming Windows) for any relevant error messages pertaining to said crashes?