haytil

Mildly Menacing Medic
The rules currently read:

-Racism
---Racial slurs or stereotypes are not allowed.
---However, you may use the term "nigga" without negative words or stereotypes. Examples of negative words include but not limited to: dumb, bad, hate.

-Other Discrimination: Any persistent discrimination based on gender or religion is not allowed. What qualifies as persistent will be determined by an admin.

As written, these rules are stating that:
-No racial discrimination is allowed.
-Gender- and religion-based discrimination is allowed as long as it's not persistent.
-Any other discrimination (including sexuality-based) is allowed, whether it's persistent or not.

However, the rules are NOT being interpreted and enforced in this manner. For instance, one admin recently said point-blank that "The rule is still technically no discrimination against sexuality" (see here: https://www.skial.com/threads/akrel-toxic-salty-and-vulgar-language.80321/#post-760323).

So my question is: Are other types (such as sexuality-based discrimination) allowed?

If so, I think the rules need to be clarified and edited so that they actually state this.

If not, then I think that Leadership (@Bottiger ?) should clarify that the admins are currently incorrect in their public explanation of the rules.

(Please note that this is NOT a thread discussing whether or not such discrimination SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be allowed - this is a thread about whether it IS allowed, because I believe the word of admins is conflicting with the current wording of the rules).

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
We've had this discussion before many times, the general jist of it is as such:

"Faggot", "gay", "homo" etc aren't always used to bash gay people. The word can take on different meanings depending on the context. If the context isn't being used to rip on gay people we're likely not going to do anything about it since they're not discriminating against someone's sexual orientation.

For example: "Did you hear Valve just nerfed the flamethrower?" "wow, what fags"

They're not saying "I HATE GAY PEOPLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" they're just using a generic insult to bash Valve. We wouldn't silence for that.

But if someone is sitting there going "Kill all faggots, gay people deserve to die. I hate gay people etc" we'd tell them to stop

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
JUST

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE

THEEEEEEMMMMM
  1. Press Esc to bring up the main menu while connected to a server.
  2. Click the mute players icon at the bottom of the screen (Looks like an ear with an X in it).
  3. Scroll to the offender's name.
  4. Highlight their name.
  5. Click Mute in-game voice, or double-click their name.
If I remember correctly, now it also mutes their chat as well right?

Reactions: serbey

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Cool,

Haytil open up your console in TF2 and type these individually and hit enter after both.

voice_enable 0

hud_saytext_time 0

EZ

Reactions: serbey

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Cool,

Haytil open up your console in TF2 and type these individually and hit enter after both.

voice_enable 0

hud_saytext_time 0

EZ

Yes, let's encourage our players to completely turn off chat and voice communications all because they asked for a clear definition of our rules. That's a solution!

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yes, let's encourage our players to completely turn off chat and voice communications all because they asked for a clear definition of our rules. That's a solution!

It will work, trust me.

I'm a physician. Give me the trust.

Mentalpatient

Mildly Menacing Medic
Then remove all the hate speech rules, we can mute them right?

JUST

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE

THEEEEEEMMMMM

1. Press Esc to bring up the main menu while connected to a server.
    Click the mute players icon at the bottom of the screen (Looks like an ear with an X in it).
    Scroll to the offender's name.
    Highlight their name.
    Click Mute in-game voice, or double-click their name.
If I remember correctly, now it also mutes their chat as well right?

Reactions: Pansmith

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Sorry, but how does this clarify my question regarding what the rules are?

Please stay on topic and stop derailing the thread.

Well I'm also sorry to say I think the rules are adequate as they are. People are going to say things you may not like in life.

haytil

Mildly Menacing Medic
Well I'm also sorry to say I think the rules are adequate as they are. People are going to say things you may not like in life.

Are you dense?

NOTHING in either of your posts have addressed the topic of the thread or the OP. You are DERAILING the thread with irrelevant discussion.

This thread isn't about what you THINK the rules should be or what I FEEL the rules should be or about what I like people to say or what you like people to say. This thread is asking a question about what the rules ARE.

To give you a helping hand to stay on topic, how about answering this question (also posed in the OP): What are the rules regarding discrimination based on sexuality?

Do you know the answer?

Because I don't, and I'm asking, and you're response is unhelpful to the topic at hand.

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
CT, you should stop talking to this guy.

If you don't align you're beliefs with his you are "derailing". This isn't a debate, it's a lecture for him.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
All of you need to stop replying and keep the thread on topic. No more replies back and forth - discuss THIS thread.

serbey

Uncharitable Spy
Ill end this, from MY experience (As a long long time Skial player but not an admin) MOST forms of discrimination as long as it's not too heavy or constantly repeated is allowed, which is one reason why lots of people who would otherwise be banned for language like that from other servers flock to Skial. So my only recommendation is if you don't want to hear it, head over to PG 13 Pandacommunity