New Clarify the rules regarding discrimination

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by haytil, Aug 3, 2018.

1. haytil

haytil Mildly Menacing Medic

The rules currently read:

As written, these rules are stating that:
    -No racial discrimination is allowed.
    -Gender- and religion-based discrimination is allowed as long as it's not persistent.
    -Any other discrimination (including sexuality-based) is allowed, whether it's persistent or not.

However, the rules are NOT being interpreted and enforced in this manner. For instance, one admin recently said point-blank that "The rule is still technically no discrimination against sexuality" (see here: https://www.skial.com/threads/akrel-toxic-salty-and-vulgar-language.80321/#post-760323).

So my question is: Are other types (such as sexuality-based discrimination) allowed?

If so, I think the rules need to be clarified and edited so that they actually state this.

If not, then I think that Leadership (@Bottiger ?) should clarify that the admins are currently incorrect in their public explanation of the rules.

(Please note that this is NOT a thread discussing whether or not such discrimination SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be allowed - this is a thread about whether it IS allowed, because I believe the word of admins is conflicting with the current wording of the rules).

• Old Old x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Troll Troll x 1
  2. Meowcenary

Meowcenary TF2 Admin Contributor

Steam:

We've had this discussion before many times, the general jist of it is as such:

"Faggot", "gay", "homo" etc aren't always used to bash gay people. The word can take on different meanings depending on the context. If the context isn't being used to rip on gay people we're likely not going to do anything about it since they're not discriminating against someone's sexual orientation.

For example: "Did you hear Valve just nerfed the flamethrower?" "wow, what fags"

They're not saying "I HATE GAY PEOPLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" they're just using a generic insult to bash Valve. We wouldn't silence for that.

But if someone is sitting there going "Kill all faggots, gay people deserve to die. I hate gay people etc" we'd tell them to stop

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Metroidz

Metroidz Face-Melting F2Per

Steam:

JUST

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE

THEEEEEEMMMMM
    1. Press Esc to bring up the main menu while connected to a server.
    2. Click the mute players icon at the bottom of the screen (Looks like an ear with an X in it).
    3. Scroll to the offender's name.
    4. Highlight their name.
    5. Click Mute in-game voice, or double-click their name.
    If I remember correctly, now it also mutes their chat as well right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. DaivdBaekr

DaivdBaekr TF2 Admin Contributor

Steam:

nuclear option:
    hud_saytext_time 0

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Metroidz

Steam:

Cool,

Haytil open up your console in TF2 and type these individually and hit enter after both.

voice_enable 0

hud_saytext_time 0

EZ

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Blade D_Hero

Blade D_Hero Trade Moderator Contributor

Steam:

Yes, let's encourage our players to completely turn off chat and voice communications all because they asked for a clear definition of our rules. That's a solution!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Metroidz

Steam:

It will work, trust me.

I'm a physician. Give me the trust.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Mentalpatient

Mentalpatient Mildly Menacing Medic

Then remove all the hate speech rules, we can mute them right?

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. haytil

Meowcenary, are you saying that sexuality based discrimination is NOT allowed?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. haytil

Could you stay on topic please?

Thanks.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  11. haytil

?

Could you stay on topic please?

Thanks.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  12. haytil

Sorry, but how does this clarify my question regarding what the rules are?

Please stay on topic and stop derailing the thread.

• Troll Troll x 2
  13. Cream Tea

Cream Tea Legendary Skial King Legendary Mapper

Steam:

Well I'm also sorry to say I think the rules are adequate as they are. People are going to say things you may not like in life.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. haytil

Are you dense?

NOTHING in either of your posts have addressed the topic of the thread or the OP. You are DERAILING the thread with irrelevant discussion.

This thread isn't about what you THINK the rules should be or what I FEEL the rules should be or about what I like people to say or what you like people to say. This thread is asking a question about what the rules ARE.

To give you a helping hand to stay on topic, how about answering this question (also posed in the OP): What are the rules regarding discrimination based on sexuality?

Do you know the answer?

Because I don't, and I'm asking, and you're response is unhelpful to the topic at hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  15. Metroidz

Steam:

CT, you should stop talking to this guy.

If you don't align you're beliefs with his you are "derailing". This isn't a debate, it's a lecture for him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. RMSniper

RMSniper TF2 Admin Contributor

Steam:

All of you need to stop replying and keep the thread on topic. No more replies back and forth - discuss THIS thread.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. serbey

serbey Uncharitable Spy

Steam:

Ill end this, from MY experience (As a long long time Skial player but not an admin) MOST forms of discrimination as long as it's not too heavy or constantly repeated is allowed, which is one reason why lots of people who would otherwise be banned for language like that from other servers flock to Skial. So my only recommendation is if you don't want to hear it, head over to PG 13 Pandacommunity

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice