KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
currently, the votemenu doesn't really have non-racial discrimination, such as sexism, covered in the muting reasons. rather than suggest additional reasons which would pad the list and potentially overlook more issues of a similar nature, I'm suggesting a more simple change to have everything covered at once

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
+1

I think it should just be Discrimination though.

I've always wondered about this.

Node

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
+1
Agreed. There are too many people making transphobic and homophobic remarks :c

Reactions: Bruhv

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
+1
Agreed. There are too many people making transphobic and homophobic remarks :c
the reason I made this suggestion was because someone was splitting hairs making a voteabuse report because while the victim was discriminating, it wasn't based on race, and the only other option was spam

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The rules say "persistent" discrimination. The rules would need to change in order for this to be implimented.
I can't see where this would be an improvement over what is already in place.
As the rules currently stand, adding the option of 'persistent discrimination' alongside racism would be a more favourable route in my opinion.

Praetorian

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
The rules say "persistent" discrimination. The rules would need to change in order for this to be implimented.
I can't see where this would be an improvement over what is already in place.
As the rules currently stand, adding the option of 'persistent discrimination' alongside racism would be a more favourable route in my opinion.
+1
  • Other Discrimination: Any persistent discrimination based on gender or religion is not allowed. What qualifies as persistent will be determined by an admin.
I believe in trying to always achieve a safe gaming community where all are welcome. Certainly no report is off the table as these !rules formula have been in place for almost 10 years. Terms "racism" and "discrimination" are 2 distinct interpretations and modifying/simplifying votemenu to cover both rather than just "spam" is a good tweak for admin's adjudication of any reports filed.

ie. Votemenu
1. Racism/Persistent discrimination
2. etc.

Thanks Skial for allowing me to state my pov.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If you want to be selective, the rules do not explicitly oppose any forms of discrimination against sexual orientation, disabilty, ability, appearance, age, social standing etc, etc. People are selective in what they view as discrimination, which is in itself discriminatory.
To be honest, and at the end of the day, the admin should be able to make a decision on whether to issue a punishment based on the facts in each case and remove assholes that spoil others enjoyment from the server, whether they break a specific rule or not. People shouldn't be able to hide behind loopholes. The community should also speak out if they believe a punishment is wrong or too severe.
Anyway, I'm swerving slightly off topic

these !rules formula have been in place for almost 10 years
No they haven't.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
There is a downside to this, it would allow users to say the hard-r and other racial slurs so long as they don't do it more than 2-3 times which is what maddo mentioned above.

• Dumb
Reactions: FishMoley

Stove™

Positively Inhumane Poster
There is a downside to this, it would allow users to say the hard-r and other racial slurs so long as they don't do it more than 2-3 times which is what maddo mentioned above.
This is a good point. Maybe make "Persistent Discrimination" its own option along with "Spam" and "Racism"? That way, if somebody's using the hard-R or any other racist language you can mute them immediately with the "Racism" option while still being able to mute someone for discriminating against things like gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
This is a good point. Maybe make "Persistent Discrimination" its own option along with "Spam" and "Racism"? That way, if somebody's using the hard-R or any other racist language you can mute them immediately with the "Racism" option while still being able to mute someone for discriminating against things like gender, sexual orientation, etc.

That would make for a much better suggestion. 3 options for muting instead of making racism more accessible.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Maybe make "Persistent Discrimination" its own option along with "Spam" and "Racism"?
That's what I suggested, however, I do know Bottiger likes the rules as simple as possible, so may not go for adding another reason to the list. In which case, the 'persistent discrimination' wording would have to be changed.

Stove™

Positively Inhumane Poster
That's what I suggested, however, I do know Bottiger likes the rules as simple as possible, so may not go for adding another reason to the list. In which case, the 'persistent discrimination' wording would have to be changed.
Yeah, that's fair. And people have been managing to report any sort of discrimination that has happened recently so I guess it's not too big of a deal.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yeah, that's fair. And people have been managing to report any sort of discrimination that has happened recently so I guess it's not too big of a deal.
Agreed. Though I hope persistent discrimination wording is the option that gets chosen as it has been a big problem for Skial's playerbase lately.

Bottiger

Administrator
The reason why we don't do this is because racism considered to be far worse and easily identifiable than any of the other "discriminations".

Like it or not, if we punished everyone for saying "that's gay" or "make me a sandwich" we would not have any players left.

We do not need another person going through all the chat logs here reporting every single person that says gay.

We are here to make the gaming experience comfortable to the largest number of players, not to change people's political opinions. We couldn't do so even if we tried.

Last edited: