• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Jaymate

Unremarkable User
So, I installed TF2 to hopefully play again, I haven't played it in years! Then I am greeted with shitty ping-spoofing American servers, 2x networks in particular, skial and flux.

PLEASE stop doing this, it's not achieving anything that is in the interest of players. I happen to enjoy playing on Australian servers with a playable latency but am greeted with stupid American servers using proxy networks to ping-spoof and appear as a local server. Are you really that desperate for players? I know the excuse, " We are protecting our servers from malicious attacks.". No, your doing this maliciously. Whilst such an Anycast network may technically increase security, PoP's in other continents, especially Australia is simply not nessercery.

Bottiger

Administrator
The region of our servers are clearly labeled in the name. You can also select the region in the in-game browser which doesn't depend on the ping. There should absolutely be no issue for you to filter/find which servers of ours are in australia or not.

You could also not be more wrong that having PoPs in other continents is not necessary. If you absorb an attack from 4 locations, you're going to have a much better chance to survive than 2 locations. And most of the attack traffic is coming from the asia-pacific region.

There's also more than 2 communities doing this and we were not the first to do this in TF2 either. So removing this will put us at a disadvantage.

Reactions: Sir Trooper

Jaymate

Unremarkable User
You can also select the region in the in-game browser which doesn't depend on the ping.
Many servers unfortunately don't correctly report their region and thus this rules out a lot of local servers.

The region of our servers are clearly labeled in the name.
This is true however again, my results are flooded with anycast/composver-v2 communities. Some communities and/or smaller local servers don't label their region again making it difficult.

You could also not be more wrong that having PoPs in other continents is not necessary. If you absorb an attack from 4 locations, you're going to have a much better chance to survive than 2 locations. And most of the attack traffic is coming from the asia-pacific region.
There are other means of achieving a secure network. If your upstream provider and has powerful and properly implemented anti-ddos solutions, they can handle it, and this isn't necessary.

So removing this will put us at a disadvantage.
I get that but I think it's still undoubtably not in the interest of players and somewhat malicious.

Bottiger

Administrator
Many servers unfortunately don't correctly report their region and thus this rules out a lot of local servers.

This is true however again, my results are flooded with anycast/composver-v2 communities. Some communities and/or smaller local servers don't label their region again making it difficult.

I am having trouble understanding your point here.

So we properly set the region of our servers and even put the region in the name of our servers. But you still want us to remove our ddos protection because other servers don't list their region and you'd be stuck with the same problem even if we did what you asked.

There's a simple solution to that, blacklist their servers or only use communities that list the region properly such as ourselves.

There are other means of achieving a secure network. If your upstream provider and has powerful and properly implemented anti-ddos solutions, they can handle it, and this isn't necessary.

You don't seem to have much experience in hosting servers. There's nobody offering proper ddos protection in places like australia for a reasonable price.

Up until recently, this network even allowed us to block bigger attacks than a certain popular host in LA.