ЯS6 Augar

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
A lot of people can agree that 24/7 servers are kinda boring to play on. The only rotation servers on skial are Payload+ Fast servers. There are no CP, Koth, or 5CP rotation servers. I haven't played Egypt, Steel, Badlands, Gorge, Nucleus, Coldfront etc. in a long time. It's such a hassle to find a server with any number of players running any of the non-meta maps. All these great maps are quite literally unavailable because skial has no full rotation servers. I know the general TF2 community has kinda degraded to everyone wanting to play 24/7 turbine all day but I think if given a change this server could do well. There is basically no competition for a full rotation server, so anyone who wants to play one (and there are a good number) will play on it. I just want Valve Maps LA to come back.

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
I am 100% ok with this I tried doing the same thing at one point but it failed, however I think if this gets enough attention then I think this should be a thing so +1 for me.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
All the modes and maps you described died out

5 control point maps stopped filling, there used to be 24/7 egypt servers and they stopped filling, Koth servers died out, they were brought back for a short period about 2-3 or so months ago and didn't fill. Other things like class wars came and went and the list goes on

The unfortunate truth is community servers have been on the decline for years now due to Valve's quick play and match making changes. Skial has also been affected by this, as well as all other community servers. Many communities died and are dying, and many maps and game modes have disappeared from community servers and more are following suit because the bulk of players are in official Valve servers now days from Valve pushing them there.

I'd love to see koth and valve maps rotation come back but koth already made a return and didn't fill, and I assume valve maps rotation would probably suffer the same fate. And I've not seen a egypt or 5 control point server with players in it for ages now

ЯS6 Augar

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
All the modes and maps you described died out

5 control point maps stopped filling, there used to be 24/7 egypt servers and they stopped filling, Koth servers died out, they were brought back for a short period about 2-3 or so months ago and didn't fill. Other things like class wars came and went and the list goes on

The unfortunate truth is community servers have been on the decline for years now due to Valve's quick play and match making changes. Skial has also been affected by this, as well as all other community servers. Many communities died and are dying, and many maps and game modes have disappeared from community servers and more are following suit because the bulk of players are in official Valve servers now days from Valve pushing them there.

I'd love to see koth and valve maps rotation come back but koth already made a return and didn't fill, and I assume valve maps rotation would probably suffer the same fate. And I've not seen a egypt or 5 control point server with players in it for ages now

I think if it got a trial run, it would be successful. I know myself, and 4 of my friends will be playing on it. I know some people on the US and LA payloads servers that would like having another option too. I didn't tell them I was making a thread though. Because I didn't think random "+1s" would help the decision.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I think if it got a trial run, it would be successful. I know myself, and 4 of my friends will be playing on it. I know some people on the US and LA payloads servers that would like having another option too. I didn't tell them I was making a thread though. Because I didn't think random "+1s" would help the decision.

Support would help if Bottiger thinks the maps could potentially have a fighting chance if brought back

I'd recommend getting anyone who wants this to come support the suggestion

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
Support would help if Bottiger thinks the maps could potentially have a fighting chance if brought back

I'd recommend getting anyone who wants this to come support the suggestion
If this were to go ahead it would probably be CTF or KotH.

Cream Tea

Epic Skial Regular
Legendary Mapper
He already tried koth servers again when he put up the randomizer servers, koth didn't bring any players in so I'm really doubting koth is going to make a third return after that

What do you make of CTF? Have double-cross, 2fort, turbine and some other good community maps perhaps?

Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
What do you make of CTF? Have double-cross, 2fort, turbine and some other good community maps perhaps?
That idea sounds good but community maps would not work we tried that one time on Payload US and other Payload rotation severs and people left when Metroplis was on that one night. Which sucked cause Metroplis was a damn good map.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor

I think most people who play turbine and 2fort play those maps for the death match style map, not so much for the CTF portion of the map

I'd be surprised if CTF maps outside turbine and 2fort would work. Especially since turbine and 2fort is all that I see populated now days, I very rarely see any other ctf maps

Bottiger has access to the game statistics tho, he could probably see how CTF is doing in general right now, but I'm assuming its not doing good

da_ñie11 11

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Just to clarify, we want an official valve maps rotation server, not seperate koth or ctf rotation servers. We used to have one and you could go from ctf to pl to 5cp to plr maps and nominate any valve official map other than like hydro.

The reason nobody wants to play on 24/7 Egypt, and any 24/7 server in general other than the meta (badwater, 2 fort, hightower) is because it gets boring, I would love to play the occasional Viaduct or Coldfront game, but its too much of a hassle to find a 24/7 server and then when I get bored, find a different 24/7 server with the next map I feel like playing. A rotation server keeps maps interesting and provides a server for people to play forgotten maps or underplayed maps which I'm sure everyone would appreciate. Switching between 24/7 servers is a huge hassle, and is probably a huge reason nobody fills community servers anymore, is because its boring to play 24/7 badwater all the time, and if you wanted to play Sawmill or like Process, it would be boring after maybe 15 minutes.

TLDR: 24/7 servers are boring, and obviously 24/7 egypt doesnt fill up, but a rotation server would definitely be popular because it gives everyone the chance to play underplayed maps and not let the gameplay get stale and boring because maps and gamemodes are switching consistenely

Last edited:

maybeedeeq?

Unremarkable User
The furry pound has a NY stock rotation server that's always full. Nothing like that in LA, at least not from a large community. It has a good chance.

This wouldn't be a server where the hoi polloi who only want to play 2fort and will leave a server as soon as snowfall comes on will play. This is for the people who care about the game will play. The people who are good at the game. The people who know how to play cp_steel. This will be a server with a community, just like Valve Maps LA used to be. The old Valve Maps LA would stay full even if we went to cp_junction. That's the kind of server that people want to be on. You could even make it nocrit this time since nothing gets in quickplay anyway.

Last edited:

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Just to clarify, we want an official valve maps rotation server, not seperate koth or ctf rotation servers. We used to have one and you could go from ctf to pl to 5cp to plr maps and nominate any valve official map other than like hydro.

The reason nobody wants to play on 24/7 Egypt, and any 24/7 server in general other than the meta (badwater, 2 fort, hightower) is because it gets boring, I would love to play the occasional Viaduct or Coldfront game, but its too much of a hassle to find a 24/7 server and then when I get bored, find a different 24/7 server with the next map I feel like playing. A rotation server keeps maps interesting and provides a server for people to play forgotten maps or underplayed maps which I'm sure everyone would appreciate. Switching between 24/7 servers is a huge hassle, and is probably a huge reason nobody fills community servers anymore, is because its boring to play 24/7 badwater all the time, and if you wanted to play Sawmill or like Process, it would be boring after maybe 15 minutes.

TLDR: 24/7 servers are boring, and obviously 24/7 egypt doesnt fill up, but a rotation server would definitely be popular because it gives everyone the chance to play underplayed maps and not let the gameplay get stale and boring because maps and gamemodes are switching consistenely

24/7 servers are actually pretty popular

If you click this link it will show you the rankings of servers based off player traffic. Skial 2fort LA has consistently been the most trafficked server in all of TF2 and there's a lot of other 24/7 servers very high ranked on that list, a good amount of them being Skial servers as well

The maps and servers didn't die out because of 24/7 servers

maybeedeeq?

Unremarkable User
24/7 servers are actually pretty popular
And that there is the problem. Why are they so popular? Is it just that the tf2 community has degraded to the point where it's all kids who only want to play tdm_2fort? They don't want to be bothered to learn more than 3 maps? There used to be people with taste playing on skial, and I think a full rotation server has a good chance at bringing them back.

da_ñie11 11

Scarcely Lethal Noob
A rotation server is obviously going to cater to a different tf2 demographic than 24/7 hightower or 2 fort or deathrun. Those people are only trying to ever play tdm or are religiously bound to those maps

We're saying the reason why 24/7 suijin or like egypt is always empty, but when on rotation for like 30 mins on the valve maps server, i highly doubt people would lose interest, plus there's always rtv and nominate to keep maps from changing to terrible ones which apparently turn away players.

There are plenty of people on the payload+ servers, and I'm sure if you asked them they would not mind playing a game of 5cp or koth or attack defend once in a while

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
And that there is the problem. Why are they so popular? Is it just that the tf2 community has degraded to the point where it's all kids who only want to play tdm_2fort? They don't want to be bothered to learn more than 3 maps? There used to be people with taste playing on skial, and I think a full rotation server has a good chance at bringing them back.

I imagine the problem is the dwindled community servers player base

As Bottiger put it in one of his stickied posts

On January 23rd 2014, Valve defaulted quickplay to official servers which killed off all but the most popular maps. Before this, we used to have every type of rotation server and for less mainstream maps such as gravelpit and barnblitz.

There's just not enough players playing on community servers now days so only the popular stuff manages to fill, minus a handful of servers that can sometimes manage to carve out a die hard player base.

When there was more players playing on community servers Skial had a lot more variation to offer. But as players were shifted over to Valve servers the variation has only been declining due to the lack of people to help fill the non mainstream maps

Valve servers easily fill the less popular maps because they have the numbers to do so. That and a match making system

Bottiger

Administrator
You may think that people would get bored of playing on the same map over and over again, but the fact is that 24/7 maps have always beat out rotation maps by a wide margin.

Why is this the case? No one knows for sure. But from my vast experience in having the most popular tf2 community for almost 10 years now, I always see people leaving in droves when the map changes/is about to change. This behavior seems to damage the server way more than the lack of variety.

Pointing out 1 random rotation server from the furry pound doesn't really prove there's a huge demand for more rotation servers. Our payload servers are barely holding up as they are now. Just because you personally like rotation servers doesn't mean most people like them. And trying to compete with casual mode will most likely end up in failure.