courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
I’ve seen quite a few different communities over the years who have this neat plugin, and I’m surprised it hasn’t been suggested yet.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=243705

When an engineer builds a sentry, this plugin will randomly assign a hat to the sentry that stays on it through upgrading and hauling. It can also be modified to also assign a random unusual effect on every sentry, or give a small chance at receiving an unusual effect on your sentry that is parallel to the chance of unboxing one.

It’s obviously novelty and serves no game-changing purpose, but I think it’s something players will enjoy a lot. If possible, you could enable it just for trade and idle if you don’t want to allow it on objective-based servers, or maybe as a donator perk?

User

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
+1 Seems like a plug-in that will be used a lot by players who test with loads of different hats (if it can do that)

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
+1

I don't see any reason why this couldn't be implemented on skial's non-custom servers. It doesn't change any aspect of the sentry other than its appearance.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
+1

Just for trade/idle,

I don't like the idea of it affecting the ability to hide a sentry.

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
I don't like the idea of it affecting the ability to hide a sentry.

On what specific map would this be an issue? Not a single spot came to mind. If you could provide an example, it would be much appreciated.

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
it should be fine on vanilla servers if unusual effects were disabled completely

hats can also be limited to a select few (such as Party Hat, Modest Pile of Hat, Fancy Fedora, other early hats) or even scaled down in size if necessary

Reactions: Reedgreat

Bottiger

Administrator
The problem with this suggestion is that it causes the server to reach the model limit faster which will cause a crash (which we try to prevent by reloading the map right before it happens). You can ask Lydee about it.

Do you think it is worth the trade off?

My instinct is that it is not, but maybe people really like this plugin? I don't know/

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
The problem with this suggestion is that it causes the server to reach the model limit faster which will cause a crash (which we try to prevent by reloading the map right before it happens). You can ask Lydee about it.

Do you think it is worth the trade off?

My instinct is that it is not, but maybe people really like this plugin? I don't know/
Maybe skial could use the plugin on one server only, just as a test run to get feedback? And expand to other servers, if it is successful?