Meebas

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Mapper
Goomba stomp added a whole new layer of strategy and enjoyment to the already narrow meta that is Freak Fortress 2. Many loadouts could be built around just goomba stomping the boss, as well as allowing the boss to utilize super jumps in open areas, introducing more dynamic gameplay in different maps.

FF2 doesn't need less mechanics, it needs more. Goomba stomp should stay here.

Tyro

Mildly Menacing Medic
Soldier is already really dominant, and this would only further that. I remember back before I took a break from TF2 and Goomba was on, and many people would just turn it off as hale anyways which makes a lot of inconsistencies.

• Dumb
Reactions: Flandre

herp 105.4

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
+1 if the boss is ontop of you yer already dead and allows classes like deon who want to fuck around with the sticky jumper to do dmg

Percilius

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
+1
It was a fun mechanic for the server. Never should have been removed.

ZamMan

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
I said it in the clown sans/thomas thread, but again:
As someone who would benefit immensely from having goomba brought back, getting a goomba is WAY too easy.
  • Last time goomba was on, it did health percentage damage, which usually ended up around 1k damage.
  • I'd say more than half the people turned off goomba (especially regulars and anyone playing hale temporarily turned it off).
  • I don't know the required falling speed set in the server, but the sourcemod plugin has a default velocity of 360 hmu to activate goomba (velocity to take fall damage is 650 hmu). If any of you have ever played around with "cl_showpos 1" and looked at the velocity value (I'm aware it's angled velocity, not just flat horizontal or vertical), you can see that getting 360 hmu velocity is achieveable from almost any height. Hell, Scout walks at 400 hmu.
That information is important if your point is that it
Meebas said:
added a whole new layer of strategy and enjoyment to the already narrow meta that is Freak Fortress 2.
It decreases the usability of class targeting as hale. Why would I kill spies and soldiers first if any class can achieve their damage from just jumping on me from a perch?
Meebas said:
Many loadouts could be built around just goomba stomping the boss
on mobility classes like Scout and Soldier. Everyone else is just going to have to stand on perches waiting for that easy 1k damage.

Here are some negatives to goomba:
  • If goomba were to be added back, it'd just be another meta to align to for low-damage/low-mobility classes.
  • It narrows map usage to areas with perches such as minegay's floating rails or militaryarea's stair-side shipping crate.
  • Getting a goomba as soldier on a failed market garden is a "get-out-of-jail-free card", since the goomba rebounds you away from the hale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robin #jw

herp 105.4

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
I said it in the clown sans/thomas thread, but again:

• Last time goomba was on, it did health percentage damage, which usually ended up around 1k damage.
    I'd say more than half the people turned off goomba (especially regulars and anyone playing hale temporarily turned it off).
    I don't know the required falling speed set in the server, but the sourcemod plugin has a default velocity of 360 hmu to activate goomba (velocity to take fall damage is 650 hmu). If any of you have ever played around with "cl_showpos 1" and looked at the velocity value (I'm aware it's angled velocity, not just flat horizontal or vertical), you can see that getting 360 hmu velocity is achieveable from almost any height. Hell, Scout walks at 400 hmu.
That information is important if your point is that it It decreases the usability of class targeting as hale. Why would I kill spies and soldiers first if any class can achieve their damage from just jumping on me from a perch?
on mobility classes like Scout and Soldier. Everyone else is just going to have to stand on perches waiting for that easy 1k damage.

• If goomba were to be added back, it'd just be another meta to align to for low-damage/low-mobility classes.
    It narrows map usage to areas with perches such as minegay's floating rails or militaryarea's stair-side shipping crate.
    Getting a goomba as soldier on a failed market garden is a "get-out-of-jail-free card", since the goomba rebounds you away from the hale.

valid points but again you can just turn it off and also, yknow if a certain someone just made it fixed dmg at lets say 900 then it be fine.

ZamMan

Contributor
valid points but again you can just turn it off and also, yknow if a certain someone just made it fixed dmg at lets say 900 then it be fine.
  1. If the hale has goomba off, then it's almost like the plugin isn't there at all. Both the players on red and blue must have goomba on to have goombas happen. Nothing announces that the hale has goombas on or not other than trying to get one, which could end in your round being over and having to find out again next round with a new hale. You can't strategize loadouts for goombas if there's no indication that the hale can even be goomba'd. You'd have to edit the plugin to announce if the hale has goombas or not when the round starts.
  2. 900 health on a hale like Darth Vader is literally market garden/backstab damage. It's possible to do fixed damage according to the goomba plugin calculation cvars, but percentage damage seems more fair.

Blackfang

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1
it was a fun mechanic plus i don't want to ruin the fun for others by getting rid of mechanics and other stuff that people like

Daisu!

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Fun mechanic sure, but can be easily abused and Soldier already has great damage output.

Cynical_Cactus

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1

FF2 is becoming way to homogenized and benefited from the greater variety of tactics it had before. In my experience goomba's better benefited scout as a class then soldier, as the market garden already fills the aerial attack niche. The tactic can be utilized by the hale as well, and was fun and satisfying for fast moving classes with weighdown.

Sam the unoofer

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
+1

Pretty bog standard for any saxton hale / ff2 gamemode, compensates for the high damage output of hale.

EDIT
Plus nothing beats the satisfaction of getting the goomba stomp perfect and killing hale.

Reactions: spudster

Meebas

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Mapper
Last time goomba was on, it did health percentage damage, which usually ended up around 1k damage. I'd say more than half the people turned off goomba (especially regulars and anyone playing hale temporarily turned it off).

I know lots of regulars including myself that never said anything about turning it off. To say "more than half the people" is a broad estimate measured by your friend group that have that preference. And if turning it off is so easy, what is wrong with having the option to turn it on? Both players need it on anyways.

Why would I kill spies and soldiers first if any class can achieve their damage from just jumping on me from a perch?

Except it's not that easy. "Waiting on a perch" sounds so much easier than actually doing it. And if you successfully goomba the boss and get away with it, it's rewarding you. Just because you rebound vertically doesn't mean you're immediately getting away for free. Unless you're scout you have to fall helplessly to the floor until you can escape. Bosses that don't know how to counter goomba (if they have don't turn it off) are being punished if they can't pick off bouncing players.

If goomba were to be added back, it'd just be another meta to align to for low-damage/low-mobility classes. It narrows map usage to areas with perches such as minegay's floating rails or militaryarea's stair-side shipping crate.

Except it's not narrowing the usage at all. Players are usually at these spots anyways. And on top of that, these are open areas that hale has access to by super jumping at all times. They are at just as much risk as hale is, so it's not just a "free goomba spot"

On top of everything, I've never seen anyone on the server, prior to it being disabled, complain about goomba stomp. You make a good point though in relation to that we need to make it more visible. The command before was completely unknown about, and was just sort of a secret most regulars of FF2 knew about. We should have FF2 bring up a tooltip that notifies people of the command.

ZamMan

Contributor
Honestly, if the plugin announces if the hale has it turned off or not, COOL add the plugin back in. That's my concern first and foremost. I hated the guesswork required when trying to find out if you could goomba or not. Not sure if there are any sourcepawn nerds in this community that would care enough to add a couple of lines into the code. Make it like hale difficulty where it tells you at the start of the round and you've got a spicy addition to the gamemode.

Kinda weird that so many people decided to reply to this suggestion thread today...All in the same hour too.