Colonel Chicken

Mildly Menacing Medic
I have talked to multiple people on the server and the majority agree the current map selection sucks. We started to talk about ironworks and the mass majority of the server (around 29 people at the time) agreed that they would like to see ironworks back. (Also some mentioned psychopat), is there any chance we could bring back ironworks and maybe psychopat? I also would like to talk about dungeon, its a solid map the community loves, and instead of these three amazing maps we have TWO undertale maps which alot of the community hates, THREE pirate maps, AND TWO COCANIUM maps. We don't need all those maps. I would suggest getting rid of both undertale maps as they are low quality, get rid of one or two pirate maps, and get rid of spooky cocanium and leave winter cocanium. This will then open up room for many maps that you could leave to the community's vote. In their place you could leave the three maps I mentioned, maybe time travel, and better maps.

Colonel Chicken

Mildly Menacing Medic
Was talking in voice chat about the map rotation and got screenshots from MANY players of the community agreeing with my statements. Here is the proof this should happen
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097796912
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097796897
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097796989
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097796927
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097797004

After this occured I decided to ask them to type "I want ironworks back" so I may take screenshots showing the community does infact want this

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097797041
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1097797076

I ask the person incharge of map rotation really considers this as it shows me and lots of the community hate the undertale maps, and want back classics like ironworks and the others I stated above

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Maps get removed for usually 2 reasons:
- Lack of popularity
- The map has a issue with it that justifies its removal, such as poor design, bugs, causes the server to crash, etc.

Most often, maps get removed due to lack of popularity. A unpopular map or a map that dies out can cause player loss to the server (players generally like to leave the server than to play on a map they dislike). This means unpopular maps can effectively empty out, and potentially even kill a server's population with time.

Bottiger can tell how popular or unpopular a map is on Skial servers and across all TF2 servers combined thanks to tools he has that log player traffic statistics. In this case, he saw those particular maps were statistically unpopular and / or were causing player loss, and so he removed them.

If he kept unpopular maps in and never removed them you'd see your favorite servers severely declining in player count.

On January 23rd 2014, Valve defaulted quickplay to official servers which killed off all but the most popular maps. Before this, we used to have every type of rotation server and for less mainstream maps such as gravelpit and barnblitz.

https://www.skial.com/threads/why-c...-server-why-is-my-favorite-server-gone.62583/

This is why there's not a huge expansive map selection on deathrun, or other servers for that matter. Few maps actually fill servers these days. It's either have a huge map selection on a dead server, or a smaller selection of maps that are popular enough to retain players.

Colonel Chicken

Mildly Menacing Medic
Maps get removed for usually 2 reasons:
- Lack of popularity
- The map has a issue with it that justifies its removal, such as poor design, bugs, causes the server to crash, etc.

Most often, maps get removed due to lack of popularity. A unpopular map or a map that dies out can cause player loss to the server (players generally like to leave the server than to play on a map they dislike). This means unpopular maps can effectively empty out, and potentially even kill a server's population with time.

Bottiger can tell how popular or unpopular a map is on Skial servers and across all TF2 servers combined thanks to tools he has that log player traffic statistics. In this case, he saw those particular maps were statistically unpopular and / or were causing player loss, and so he removed them.

If he kept unpopular maps in and never removed them you'd see your favorite servers severely declining in player count.

https://www.skial.com/threads/why-c...-server-why-is-my-favorite-server-gone.62583/

This is why there's not a huge expansive map selection on deathrun, or other servers for that matter. Few maps actually fill servers these days. It's either have a huge map selection on a dead server, or a smaller selection of maps that are popular enough to retain players.

I see what your saying which is perfectly understandable, but when I see people groaning in chat when undertale gets picked, don't you think thats concerning? If you did a poll in the server I can guarentee the majority of the server currently would say they dislike the undertale maps. (Also if this is the case how a map needs to be popular how has sawmill not been removed?) Also with bringing back the others, popularity shouldnt be a issue as quite a few people on the server agree the current map rotation we have in place is underwhelming to say, and is generally not liked.

Last edited:

Sakiko

Contributor
You say that but, You try bring these said players here to +1 your suggestion.

Maps do get removed based on what is seen IE Lack of votes.

Exploits if too many exploits or they are used to ruin the mechanics of Death run it gets removed.

Most of it is down to the player base and we can't have 300 maps sitting about waiting for the random time one will get a vote.

So if you want some make the suggestion and get the DR players to +1 it so we can push bottiger to add them provided they do not have exploits.(Waiting on the +1's)

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I see what your saying which is perfectly understandable, but when I see people groaning in chat when undertale gets picked, don't you think thats concerning?

There's people who complain about every map, no matter how popular or unpopular it is. If Bottiger got rid of any map that someone complained about Skial wouldn't have any maps left to begin with.

I know people hate hearing it because statistics are so impersonal, but they're accurate. If the general player base hates the undertale maps the statistics would show it.

If you did a poll in the server I can guarentee the majority of the server currently would say they dislike the undertale maps.

Probably less than 2% of the player base (and that's probably a generous estimation) would give their input on a poll. And Bottiger would have to do a poll for every single map.

Player traffic statistics are going to beat out a poll easily considering it encompass the entirety of the player base of Skial and the rest of the player base across all of TF2, versus a poll that would only get a very small sample of the player base.

(Also if this is the case how a map needs to be popular how has sawmill not been removed?)

If sawmill is still on the server then its getting enough player traffic to remain on the server. If it dies out, then Bottiger will see that when he checks the map statistics (I believe he said he checks it monthly? Someone correct me if I'm wrong) and he'll remove the map if its showing its no longer popular.

Also with bringing back the others, popularity shouldnt be a issue as quite a few people on the server agree the current map rotation we have in place is underwhelming to say, and is generally not liked.

The map selection is limited because what you see are the only maps that actually manage to retain players. The unfortunate reality is most maps just don't hold players, especially now days more than ever.

People have also came to the forums requesting unpopular removed maps to be given a second chance. Bottiger sometimes did give them a second chance, despite knowing its very unlikely to work out. And every time I've seen this happen, he ended up being right; the maps didn't fill well if at all and had to be removed again.

If you have any map suggestions for quality looking maps feel free to pitch them. But when a map gets removed, rarely do they ever pick up again in popularity and return, at least from what I've seen.

Colonel Chicken

Mildly Menacing Medic
You say that but, You try bring these said players here to +1 your suggestion.

Maps do get removed based on what is seen IE Lack of votes.

Exploits if too many exploits or they are used to ruin the mechanics of Death run it gets removed.

Most of it is down to the player base and we can't have 300 maps sitting about waiting for the random time one will get a vote.

So if you want some make the suggestion and get the DR players to +1 it so we can push bottiger to add them provided they do not have exploits.(Waiting on the +1's)
Okay, I am working on getting the players who want ironworks back to +1 this thread so we can show people want it, but in the case of mechanics being abused, shouldn't undertale be removed as that map has many exploits (Look at the minigame sans boss for example, you can block the walls pushing you off and freeze them, stand in one spot to never be hit by a lazer, and avoid the entire fight and the whole map in general has many more)

Bottiger

Administrator
Ironworks is still extremely unpopular based on the number of players seen on other servers still running it. Same with timetravel.

Colonel Chicken

Mildly Menacing Medic
Ironworks is still extremely unpopular based on the number of players seen on other servers still running it. Same with timetravel.
I know you've just added a shit ton of maps back (psychopat for instance), and I really think people would enjoy ironworks. I can understand timetravel but ironworks I think people would enjoy. Also why did you add psychopat v2 instead of 1? Many people hate v2 while v1 is preferred. Give it a chance I a litterally begging you, and I will guarentee I won't be wrong

Last edited:

Morshu

Truly Feared Pyro
I know you've just added a shit ton of maps back (psychopat for instance), and I really think people would enjoy ironworks. I can understand timetravel but ironworks I think people would enjoy. Also why did you add psychopat v2 instead of 1? Many people hate v2 while v1 is preferred. Give it a chance I a litterally begging you, and I will guarentee I won't be wrong
If you wanna play dr_psykopat again you should take a look at this: https://www.skial.com/threads/add-dr_psykopat-to-deathrun.75060/

DrewC

Banned
Sorry if this thread has already been declined but i literally just made this forum account to request a map replacement. Almost every night i go on your US deathrun server and as my fellow player above mentioned, the chat is always filled with people complaining about the overused, buggy/broken and "shitty" maps there are on the rotation, a discussion that always ends up with people getting fed up and leaving therefore letting the server alone just to slowly die.
My request is to please remove reskins of cocainum, remove alt versions of undertale, the very much despised Trump Tower, the unfinished manor and replace them with maps like pauseahead, timetravel, castle and ironworks which of what I've noticed and asked about are among the player-favorites and most requested and discussed about on the chat (As Colonel above has made sure to show proof of).
I didn't fail to notice you ask for statistical evidence, that's why i propose a typeform based survey (goo[.]gl/fn9GRV) i will, if you let me, take care of spreading and collecting feedback of (which in case of being approved, will always be available to the admins.) to demonstrate the demand of not just new but actually liked maps the deathrun community wishes to be implemented.
Thanks for reading me and then again i apologize for inappropriately commenting on an already Declined thread but i really do wish to get my point across, Hope i can hear from you soon.
-DrewC
P.S: Sorry for the bad grammar and comma horror.