TheAssailant

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Why is it a feature on Skial that users in spectate get forcibly assigned to a team, and why is that feature so aggressive?

I was on 2Fort+ NY and and there was an ambassador spy on the other team that was getting a lot of headshots. This was maybe 20 minutes after we kicked an obvious cheater. I went to spectate to watch him. To really catch an aimbotter, one must be in first person spectate and that negates any mouse movement. Twice I got moved out of spectate to one of the teams and automatically assigned a class. Presumably this is so I could become an AFK bot.

That made it nigh on impossible to tell of the amby spy was legit. I eventually gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it was more out of frustration with the server than any surety in his legitimacy. Server functions like this do not encourage players to responsibly check on potential cheaters. I suggest at a minimum the amount of time a users can be in spectate with no input before being switched to a team.

T-Wayne

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Hey,

you can use a console command on Skial to spectate, it's called sm_spec. I'd put "sm_spec assail" in console and I would instantly spectate you. The timer is annoying, it bugs me too, depending on what server I sit in, when I try to spectate, so I understand that frustration. But, usually the server sends a chat message to you, something like "If you don't move within 30 seconds, you will be moved to AFK", something along those lines, if that happens, I usually just hit space to switch the view from first person, to third person, to freelook and back to first person again. That cools the timer down. Or you click/move, then just open the console, press up to use one of the last commands and do the sm_spec again to instantly return to spectating.

Is this thread supposed to simply question this practice or do you want to suggest a change? Incase you want to suggest a change, please let me know so I can move this thread to suggestions.

Reactions: Trash.ca

apap04

Scarcely Lethal Noob
This is my guess but don't take my "advice" on it but it could be because the game thinks you're a bot taking up the game slots.

TheAssailant

Contributor
Is this thread supposed to simply question this practice or do you want to suggest a change? Incase you want to suggest a change, please let me know so I can move this thread to suggestions.

I initially posted it just to gripe, but after considering things: yes, I'd like to suggest allowing users to stay in spectate for a longer time without being moved.

T-Wayne

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Alright i moved it now. Please keep in mind that you need to gather support for this idea.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor

There's no reason to be sat in spectator.

If you're recording a demo, then left and right clicking is easy enough.

Doing this for a long time is considered avoiding the AFK kicker, though.

ly_dee

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
It is a problem on servers that aren't full and i told bottiger about it a while ago. When spectating someone it will put me on a team after one minute without a warning. He said it was to prevent people from afking in spectator forever (which i understand) and there was no good way around it.

There is no issues on full servers though, just do what T-Wayne said once you see the message in chat.

RMSniper

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It is a problem on servers that aren't full and i told bottiger about it a while ago. When spectating someone it will put me on a team after one minute without a warning. He said it was to prevent people from afking in spectator forever (which i understand) and there was no good way around it.

There is no issues on full servers though, just do what T-Wayne said once you see the message in chat.
I know there was an issue with the /spec command a month or two ago. I let Bot know, and he fixed some of the code. I still think that the /spec command should function differently than just clicking spec (and yes, it does), but I'm not sure it lasts long enough. Of course, someone hiding in /spec to just hang out and not play would be difficult to see, since they're "invisible."

TheAssailant

Contributor
I have not tested sm_spec yet. In fact, I'm going to pop on 2Fort+ NY and test it in a minute.

There's no reason to be sat in spectator.

If you're recording a demo, then left and right clicking is easy enough.

This is completely not true. Trying to stay spectating a questionable user on a 32 man instant respawn server (on a map that has a bunch of spectator cameras as well) is frustrating in extremis. "Easy enough" is about the LAST way I'd describe it.

I'm going to test sm_spec now. I presume that like most sourcemod commands, it works with a slash in chat as well. /spec TotesLegitSniper etc.

TheAssailant

Contributor
/spec works like a charm, my PoV returned to the same player the moment he respawned. This is on a currently full server. Does the plugin's behavior change when the server's population falls below a certain threshold?