ATI vs nVidia

• Total voters

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Kepler looks amazing. I'm still running off a 9800GT. I'll probably upgrade in a year or so to one of the new GTX ones. I used to be an AMD fanboy in the 90s, but since I've switched to Intel/nVidia combos and never looked back. Way better performance for the cost. Also, ATI doesn't really exist anymore. It's AMD.

Ninja_DC

Face-Melting F2Per
7970 overclocked to GTX 680 out of the box specs, performs about the same. GPU Boost giving the 680 the advantage.

ATI is AMD now, haven't you heard. :p

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I love PhysX.
I love how they always said that you would need a separate PhysX card. Two months later they integrated it into their device drivers. I feel bad for anyone who purchased one of those separate cards since they're worthless now, but cost around $100 by themselves when they sold them.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Money wise - ATI, no doubts. Performance wise (cooling, quietness, drivers support) - NVidia, no doubts.
Has been NVidia guy for over 10 years. I had 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 when I decided to upgrade to Riva TNT2. Since then I've never used anything else but NVidia chipsets.

pr1mus da scr1pt

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
ATI makes better budget cards, nVidia has better high-range cards, but it comes with the pricetag.

so i'm currently going with ATI because i'm on a HD6950

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
ATI makes better budget cards, nVidia has better high-range cards, but it comes with the pricetag.

so i'm currently going with ATI because i'm on a HD6950
AMD makes better budget CPUs. AMD CPUs always seem about a year behind Intel.

They're actually usually pricier than nVidia in the GPU market. I believe the AMD Radeon HD 6990 is the fastest card on the market now depending on the benchmark (multiple GPU though). If you want to spend $900 on the best graphics card, go with AMD right now. I think the new GTX ones with Kepler are damn good thoughit's only in the $600 range. I guess you would compare it to the 7970 from AMD.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You can make the same poll every 6 months and the result will be different... nVidia now, but for example not so long ago they couldn't run dx11, which was standard for a mid tier Ati card then.

Ninja_DC

Face-Melting F2Per
Don't get a reference 6990 or 590 as they're noisy and hot as fuck.
If you due get one make sure it's custom cooled.

You might get micro-shuttering issues as well if your fps are below your display refresh rate (normally 120fps) due to it being dual-gpu cards (basically crossfire/SLI config)

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I love how they always said that you would need a separate PhysX card. Two months later they integrated it into their device drivers. I feel bad for anyone who purchased one of those separate cards since they're worthless now, but cost around $100 by themselves when they sold them.

Still get better performance on a seperate card, that's how it's always been. Sure you can run it on the same card, but you don't get the 15 FPS boost of using a separate 480 for PhysX.

JarlyX

Epic Skial Regular
nVidia makes better cards in my opinion however they are more expensive overall. ATi mostly makes budget cards. A fun thing i discovered about nVidia and ATi is the fact that a motherboard with only CrossFire instead of only SLI would be up to 50% the price. So i guess it's a stereotype which makes anything Radeon-related cheaper because of lower demand, however in most cases that stereotype is true.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
I run an NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, and I never looked back. Even though I do want to up my Processor from an Athlon to a Phenom or Bulldog, an i7-2600k paired with a GTX 680 just sound jizztastically amazing.