• If you are not the person that was banned/muted, you are only allowed to post evidence. Trash talk is unnecessary.
Status
Not open for further replies.

San Malta

Unremarkable User
Link to your ban or your com block:
Why should you be unbanned or unblocked?:
Hi there,

I was banned yesterday when I was playing at Bottigers 24/7 Idle. The reason I was banned was because it appeared to other players - especially _J_ the map creator - that I was using a hack (cloak hack?) that lets you see spies when they should be invisible. He posted a video to youtube and shared it with Phantom.

My side of the story: I logged onto Bottigers and was playing with my sound off as usual. This was a new server for me (and being somewhat naive to the etiquette in general) I had no idea that I should not be seeing so many microphones left on. I was just happy I made the decision to turn off my sound a long time ago since ppl can be annoying with that. I assumed people were leaving their mics on because this was not as competitive as the 2Fort games I was used to - and it was more about playing around and earning achivements and nobody cared too much if the chat bubble over their head gave away their invisible location.

Since I didn't know that I was the only one seeing these chat bubbles over certain heads - I went ahead and assumed _J_ and I were more or less playing around when I was casually firing shots at his invisible location. A "lighter" moment like when players from opposite teams all start "taunt dancing" together. But I quickly found out I was the only one seeing those bubbles - and the more I looked into it - the more it looked like something had definitely glitched.

I'm providing some screenshots here to show what I saw - but this being my first time going through anything like this - and being shocked that a map creator or admin was calling me out for cheating - the evidence I do have is mostly whatever screenshots I took earlier when I was trying to figure out the map, or how to surf. The first one is when _J_ and I were talking (he's uncloaked then) and the other ones are from earlier - you can see the strange chat behavior on the lower right showing all the people that supposedly have their mics on - but apparently don't actually have their mics on. It also keeps showing mic(s) left on by "unconnected" - which is pretty odd. I'm kicking myself now because in the heat of the moment, it never occurred to me that I needed to grab a screenshot of a floating chat bubble where an invisible spy would be located - and I think by then J was just uncloaked and we were now talking about what just happened. I was also about to be late to work and I had already stayed too long trying to patch things up with _J_.

If you have any questions, or need further evidence (not really sure I have any), please let me know what I can do. I wish I had taken video at the time, but like I said, I was shocked when it was all unfolding and an admin (or map creator) was calling me a cheat. I was trying to quickly send him some evidence from my side so he could see what the real issue was.

For whatever it's worth, I hate cheats as much as anyone does - I've never downloaded or used any (I don't even know much about them other than occasionally hearing ppl text things in the server chat like "aimbot" or "wall hack") and I play well enough at TF2 that I definitely don't need them to have fun.

I've been playing at Skial for several years now without any incidents like this.

Thanks,
Nate

20190131123005_1.jpg

20190131094700_1.jpg

20190131065830_1.jpg

Phantom 5.0

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
After reviewing the demos that were provided in the report for the second time, I find little evidence that shows that you weren’t using some form of a wall hack.

Secondly, your screen shots didn’t load. Please provide sufficient evidence in your appeal. Until then, the ban will remain.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
To note, I was not using my voice at the time of this screenshot, neither was anyone else. This is one of San's screenshots he sent me.

Phantom 5.0

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor

This screen shot doesn’t provide any evidence that would explain San Malta tracking a cloaked spy while playing Engie, or shooting rockets directly at a cloaked spy.

I’d also like to point out that there was a point in the demo where San Malta was trying to set up a sentry fun and the spy was using voice chat. I’m going to have to assume that this is when the screen shot was taken.

As I previously mentioned, it doesn’t explain their ability to track/shoot cloaked spies.

This appeal is denied.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
To note, I was not using my voice at the time of this screenshot, neither was anyone else. This is one of San's screenshots he sent me.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you properly, you're saying that you weren't using your microphone at the time that image was taken.

So that would suggest that either the image is altered, or that he encountered a bug which showed speech bubbles over peoples heads - when they weren't talking?

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
Just to make sure I'm understanding you properly, you're saying that you weren't using your microphone at the time that image was taken.

So that would suggest that either the image is altered, or that he encountered a bug which showed speech bubbles over peoples heads - when they weren't talking?
I'm not defending the person I reported, I simply provided one of the pieces of evidence the person more than likely intended to use in this appeal. I was not using my voice at all, and I have people who can personally attest to this at the time on the server when these events occurred. I do not know if its altered or a visual bug on his end. I stand by my report, but I simply provided "evidence"

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I'm not defending the person I reported, I simply provided one of the pieces of evidence the person more than likely intended to use in this appeal. I was not using my voice at all, and I have people who can personally attest to this at the time on the server when these events occurred. I do not know if its altered or a visual bug on his end. I stand by my report, but I simply provided "evidence"

Do you have a demo from the same time as your YouTube video? We generally require these for incidents of hacking.
If you don't have a demo - would you mind getting two bits of evidence for me, just to clear this up a little bit more?

Record yourself playing TF2, start a demo during the recording, wait a few seconds, then talk using your microphone for a few seconds, then wait a few seconds, end the demo, then end the recording.
Upload the recording to YouTube, your demo onto any file sharing website - then post the links to both on here.

San Malta

Unremarkable User
Just to clarify - yes, I was seeing chat bubbles floating over the heads of different players that would indicate where the player was located. Definitely some sort of glitch.

No the images were not photoshopped...

The images I tried to share are public links from my dropbox account and I don't know why they aren't loading, but Jermaphobe shared the best image anyways - it shows the bubble over his head during a time he wasn't using his microphone - we both confirmed this.

If I was good at photoshop - I would now produce much more convincing photos

Would love to be able to put this behind me - unfortunately in the heat of the moment, that one photo is the best evidence I have to defend myself. I've never gone through this before in my 10 years playing TF2 and I really wasn't prepared to defend myself on this

I understand your decision either way... Skials hardline anti-hack policy is the reason I was playing there in the first place. Would just be ironic if thats the reason I ended up losing the ability to play there.

No hard feelings either way - you have servers to run, and I've started playing casual mode which I never played before.

All the best,
Nate

thebosstre

Uncharitable Spy
can I say this hm but I think two to five years ago when a spy is disguised or clocked you would see the chat bubble above their head I have seen it in a mr paladin video or a defty video some where

thebosstre

Uncharitable Spy
the video is by MrPaladin the name is this How to detect spies! (MrPaladin Tutorial) WATCH AT 8:00 mins in so lol look up before you hate me lol just look it up

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
the video is by MrPaladin the name is this How to detect spies! (MrPaladin Tutorial) WATCH AT 8:00 mins in so lol look up before you hate me lol just look it up

Your "evidence" is useless to this appeal, it does not apply in any way shape or form, the verdict was already ruled declined so don't waste your, as well as ours, time

Status
Not open for further replies.