-Marinol-

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Hello folks,

I need a bit of help figuring out where to go from here, and if I managed to either fix an actual problem, or if it was just an accidental positive.

Lately I'd been having trouble with constant lag, which has been pretty much limited to prime time. My first instinct was overutilization, but as there are actually very few users of my ISP on the local DSLAM, I went at it through several different channels. Multiple ISP calls and a few semi-productive tech rolls have already gotten me to this point.

I'd kept up to date on the two apps I used for security, those being Avast! and Ad-aware. When I first started noticing the problem, I ran updates on the both and did complete scans, neither of them showed anything, which led me to contact the ISP for possible connection issues. We were getting reportable drops from the NID and it was cutting out our voice line, had a tech ticket issued, who came and found a faulty lightning protector on the NID.

After replacing it though, the lag didn't clear, so the process started again. AV scans, isp calls, tech roll. This time they found a grounding jack that hadn't been used in 10 years. This came along with a provisioning issue on their end along with them discussing an option of migrating me to a newer DSLAM. Even this seemed to have not been resolving it.

At that point, I decided to try running MBAR to see if there was a rootkit that perhaps already infected the two apps I had. It popped positive. I uninstalled both apps, reinstalled avast and then switched from ad-aware to MWB, as I had never been fully pleased with the results that secondary line of defense gave me. At this point, Avast! found a second rootkit, this time in a place I didn't fully expect. Steam. Streaming_client.exe was showing as a rootkit through it, and I first thought it was a false positive...but thought to allow Avast! to try to resolve it, thinking that if it was removed, Steam would just rebuild the .exe anyways on restart. Avast! recieved Error (Access denied) while trying to repair, quarantine and delete...so I rebooted, elevated, and tried again...still same thing.

Thinking this odd, I just manually removed the file, rebooted and restarted steam, it predictably rebuilt the file, so I ran Avast! again, to confirm if it was a false positive or not. It found nothing this time.
=======
What it all boils down to is this, I am unsure if I have resolved anything yet, as prime time is rolling in just about now anyway...but at this point, I don't know if I should continue to pursue the ISP issue, or act as if this was a possible infection that might have been cleared. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Do you have a second computer available to cross reference connection speed? Maybe have a friend bring over a laptop to test. If they're having similar lag issues, then it would more than likely be your ISP.

Also, do you do a lot a streaming and have a lower end service package? I find that Comcast constantly throttles me when I go on netflix binges.

-Marinol-

The lag is shown across the three computers I have on the network. 3 desktops, all direct connected to the 6 slot gateway. I did try cutting out individiual computers, seeing if one or the other was causing some sort of extra bandwidth pull. I do have a lower end service package, but no bandwidth limits. I've not had any complaints from them as to the amount of data coming through, but then again..I aside from TF2 for hours on end, we don't really suck through a lot anyways.

I am agreeing though, that I should probably continue to pursue the ISP side of things. The lag is back again, as of 6pm. 121ms to a local node.

-Marinol-

Took my ISP two weeks to finally let me talk to tier 2 and explain the problem, but as of tonight...finally got someone to let me really show my side of the issue. They listened and finally took a look at their hardware, and found the switch that was causing the trouble. No resolution time yet, but at least someone finally listened to the guy saying 'Hey listen, this isn't normal'