Tyknighter

Positively Inhumane Poster
I love playing TF2, and I love playing Payload and other game modes. So I was wondering if a all game mode rotation sever would be a great idea, we can have all the maps Skial can hold that don't crash severs and all of that jazz. So for example you are playing PL_Upward and the next map you are going to is CP_Dustbowl. Is it a good idea, what do you guys think?

Dolan Trump

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Multi-mode servers bleed players like the rivers run; there's a reason almost no community does it. Even rotation servers within the same game mode have trouble staying populated since people tend to leave at the end of rounds; that's why 24/7 servers exist. People like consistency, and people play on servers specifically to stay away from maps they hate, among other things.

Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Multi-mode servers bleed players like the rivers run; there's a reason almost no community does it. Even rotation servers within the same game mode have trouble staying populated since people tend to leave at the end of rounds; that's why 24/7 servers exist. People like consistency, and people play on servers specifically to stay away from maps they hate, among other things.
It's weird how it wouldn't work on skial. But people stay on a server and rotating maps on Casual Mode (Valve servers.)

TheMiningAlex

Positively Inhumane Poster
It's weird how it wouldn't work on skial. But people stay on a server and rotating maps on Casual Mode (Valve servers.)

I think it has something to do with the player mindset of people in casual. From what it seems with casual mode players on YouTube if They get a Map They don't like they just leave and go to a different map by rejoining casual. But sometimes it's harder to find a good community server with the map that you want when they're rotating maps. As always is based off of my observations.

Dolan Trump

Somewhat Threatening Sniper

Valve servers work differently enough that they can get away with it; they have constantly shifting players. Community servers rely on loyal players coming back and donating their time and money, which is harder to attract if your server rotation is too drastic.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
And there used to be a Valve maps server. It ran for awhile, but died out so it had to be removed. You can thank Valve for killing off community servers.

Bottiger

Administrator

It isn't surprising at all. It used to work on Skial when quickplay existed for community servers.

People don't care what map they play on usually when sent through quickplay/matchmaking, and the system would keep servers alive after they changed to a different map.

If you want it to work again, the only thing you can do is to petition Valve.... or get people to join the server. Trying to get Valve to change is the only realistic and permanent solution, hard as it might be to imagine that they would listen to you.