Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
lately, using Firefox, I have noticed it has blocked connections from Akamai. I decided to do some research.

Akamai's network is one of the world's largest distributed-computing platforms, responsible for serving between 15 and 30 percent of all web traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

I had also found out that they seem to use computers NOT THEIR OWN as servers. anyone else know what this company is? also, it seems MAJOR websites use Akamai.

antim

Gore-Spattered Heavy
At least i know that all the content you upload to most social media like facebook gets hosted at akamai

ModSe7en

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Good, you managed to read the first paragraph, now keep reading.
Wikipedia said:
The company operates a network of servers around the world and rents capacity on these servers to customers who want their websites to work faster by distributing content from locations close to the user. Over the years their customers have included Facebook, Bing, Twitter and healthcare.gov. When a user navigates to the URL of an Akamai customer, their browser is redirected to one of Akamai’s copies of this website, almost entirely invisible to the vast majority of its users. As of 2009, secure connections (designed to highlight hidden intermediaries) posed a problem to Akamai, and attempts to connect to a popular website over HTTPS might reveal the Akamai backend.
TL;DR It's a CDN, there's nothing to panic about.