Blade D_Hero

Contributor
A lot of people seem to have gripes with the watermark we have in the servers (I personally don't mind it but that's besides the point) but don't realize that they can turn it off by typing !logo into the chat.

This is probably because even server regulars don't realize this since it's not a feature we advertise at all. Personally, I found it out on Reddit and have spreading the word to people who bring it up as an argument against Skial. Maybe like a colored message that occurs every once in a while (like the one that says advertising hacks even as a joke is grounds for a ban) would be a good solution to this and allow more people who seem to be turned off by the watermark to play on the Skial servers.

Personally I don't see a downside to running a message such as

Remember, you can turn off the watermark by typing in !logo

since it could help improve word of mouth and draw even more people into the servers (for some reason a lot of Valve server diehards will simply not play in a server with a watermark ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) who may not have wanted to play on Skial.

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
A lot of people seem to have gripes with the watermark we have in the servers (I personally don't mind it but that's besides the point) but don't realize that they can turn it off by typing !logo into the chat.

This is probably because even server regulars don't realize this since it's not a feature we advertise at all. Personally, I found it out on Reddit and have spreading the word to people who bring it up as an argument against Skial. Maybe like a colored message that occurs every once in a while (like the one that says advertising hacks even as a joke is grounds for a ban) would be a good solution to this and allow more people who seem to be turned off by the watermark to play on the Skial servers.

Personally I don't see a downside to running a message such as

since it could help improve word of mouth and draw even more people into the servers (for some reason a lot of Valve server diehards will simply not play in a server with a watermark ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) who may not have wanted to play on Skial.

I don't honestly understand why there is a watermark if there is the ability to turn the watermark off... isn't the idea that it should always be there to advertise/identify the server through a video or other mediums? If the !logo command is meant to be enabled, then sure - I like this suggestion, though could it be implemented so that you only see the message once upon joining the server? I'd like the continuous messages to be more related to Skial/rules in general, rather than specific commands.

+1

Bottiger

Administrator

I don't think there are that many people like that so it isn't worth trying to bend over backwards for them.

The reason why we have a watermark is because it was annoying that people played on our servers for months and didn't even know that we had a website, or that they were even on a Skial server.

And of course having videos and screenshots with our name on them helps. This is not something we want to encourage everyone to be doing.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
I don't think there are that many people like that so it isn't worth trying to bend over backwards for them.

The reason why we have a watermark is because it was annoying that people played on our servers for months and didn't even know that we had a website, or that they were even on a Skial server.

And of course having videos and screenshots with our name on them helps. This is not something we want to encourage everyone to be doing.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight