• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Do you think the Admin system is fair

• No warn is bad but music spam should not be allowed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lady Nightingale

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
So, I have been playing on this server for a little while now, I like this server, it's not as toxic as people have said it was (VSH at least) and I have a lot of fun. However, there is a significant problem this server has, and that problem is the Admin system.

The fact that you can get banned/muted with no warning, no notification even if you are not even online is ridiculous. A player could be playing enjoying themselves, and have missed a rule, or maybe even misinterpreted it, and now they can not speak or chat, are slain, or maybe even banned, all that stands to do is cause confusion and people to leave the server. The admin system feels like it is run of fear, you do not know who is admin, you do not know what counts as rule-breaking in some cases and hell sometimes you may not even know you have been punished till you get on the next day, it's silly.

Most tf2 servers have a warning than action systems for a reason, and they work well, and that's without the in-game player vote menu skial has yet Admisn seem really keen on telling people not to use it. This system needs to be adapted, it is incredibly player unfriendly the way it works now and removes so much communication that could help players learn what they did wrong and why it was wrong, not just blind punishment.

Another issue is the rather strict nature some admins treat rules.

An example is the aforementioned vote menu. You can vote to slay, vote ban, and vote mute all for 30 minutes. A reasonable amount of time that players have the power to use. Yet you are only allowed to use it in certain situations. If you have an open vote system let the players use it, don't punish people for using it in ways you do not like. Most "Vote abuse" incidents are in good fun between consenting parties and in the event, someone is actually trying to abuse it 9/10 times the vote won't pass. The server is not a hivemind and the vote requirements are close to unanimous, so the server tends to vote against unfair votes, and if it does get through, it's only 30 min, not a significant amount of time, and more than enough to contact an admin if needed. There is no need to punish people for using it, if the vote passes it means the server agrees and it was a consensus. Punishing people for this is ridiculous, if you do not trust them to use the hammer, do not give them the hammer, don't just tell them what nails they can and can not hit,

Another example of the treating of the rules is "Spam"

You have a voting menu for this, you have private mutes for this, you have a goddamn custom !ignore system for this. I get having to have an admin mute if it's consistent or if people are leaving but if people are enjoying the music/sound/movie etc, then there is no need to punish. Lots of people like DJing, playing podcasts, sound clips, whatever, and plenty of people like to listen to them. If they do not they can !ignore mute or vote mute. If those fail to work and the sound becomes a problem, then the admin should intervene, but not as soon as someone tries or if admins join into people having fun.

In conclusion, Skial is a much better server than I thought it would be and I do love a lot of the community and how fun VSH is. But the administration has a few problems that I am hoping this post brings attention to. I am not calling out anyone, in particular, I just think things can be better and I know others feel the same way. I hope to see everyone's opinions on the topics and examples I brought forward and discussion ensues.

TLDR; Do you think the Admins system fair, and if not, what problems do you have with it currently?

Node

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Why don't they just read the rules if they're so worried about a ban or mute? My first instinct when coming into another community is to find out what the rules are so I don't get myself banned.
I agree, ignorance of the rules isn't an excuse to break them.

Lady Nightingale

Contributor
Why don't they just read the rules if they're so worried about a ban or mute? My first instinct when coming into another community is to find out what the rules are so I don't get myself banned.
Some things are not as well defined, and yeah reading rules is something you should always do. However to be banned no warning for forgetting or by missing a rule is silly. Node Manager you said you stopped reading after the second paragraph of this post, the rules are almost as long, how many feel the same about them and perhaps miss a few or misread them in the brief time they look them over. Especially on a server with such a strict auto AFK

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Some things are not as well defined, and yeah reading rules is something you should always do. However to be banned no warning for forgetting or by missing a rule is silly. Node Manager you said you stopped reading after the second paragraph of this post, the rules are almost as long, how many feel the same about them and perhaps miss a few or misread them in the brief time they look them over. Especially on a server with such a strict auto AFK

Admins do give warnings, but they don't HAVE to. Rules are there for anybody to read at anytime, anywhere. Not to mention first offenses are mild and they normally don't do it again after that. If they persist, that's on them not the admins. Again, rules are available and should be the first thing anybody does when joining a server. Even if you do that, people don't care and will break the rules regardless because "lol troll so funi xddd"

Reactions: Zeke Aileron

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
I told Crizzly before I reported him to stop griefing. His response was "Are you an admin?". Clearly he knew what he was doing and thought because an admin wasn't on he would be invincible. I had another opportunity to report him for the same thing again a couple days ago but signed off because I needed to drop my wife off.

Most of the players in VSH are aware of the rules but choose not to follow them if an admin isn't around. I've reported the same people for doing the same thing multiple times. Even though I'm not an admin I still try to tell them to stop breaking the rules and most of them ignore me because they know what they're doing.

What if players don't know about the in game options to mute someone? They're going to leave because some asshole is playing a voice clip. You can't say that 100 percent of the server enjoys listening to the garbage that people play. If you want to listen to music then play it on your own computer. Go in a discord together and listen to the same audio if you want to listen to it with your friends.

Most of the admins do warn. The thing you want is warning when people make reports which isn't viable.

Lady Nightingale

Contributor
I told Crizzly before I reported him to stop griefing. His response was "Are you an admin?". Clearly he knew what he was doing and thought because an admin wasn't on he would be invincible. I had another opportunity to report him for the same thing again a couple days ago but signed off because I needed to drop my wife off.

Most of the players in VSH are aware of the rules but choose not to follow them if an admin isn't around. I've reported the same people for doing the same thing multiple times. Even though I'm not an admin I still try to tell them to stop breaking the rules and most of them ignore me because they know what they're doing.

What if players don't know about the in game options to mute someone? They're going to leave because some asshole is playing a voice clip. You can't say that 100 percent of the server enjoys listening to the garbage that people play. If you want to listen to music then play it on your own computer. Go in a discord together and listen to the same audio if you want to listen to it with your friends.

Most of the admins do warn. The thing you want is warning when people make reports which isn't viable.
So it's not an issue because most of the time they warn? I just do not think it's a good thing to have admins do. And what rules do you people violate all the time? Are people upset by it or are they having fun? If the only issue with what they are doing is that it is against the server rules, without hurting anyone or running anyone's fun, then it's a bad rule. Rules should be made to make sure the server stays enjoyable for everyone, and if a rule does more harm o that ideal than good, it should be removed. Also no I do not expect warns for forum posts, a warning by the person making the post would be nice but I understand the complexity of issuing warnings after the fact. AS silly as it is for someone to sit there guessing why the hell they can no longer speak or chat.

Bottiger

Administrator
Many of our admins do warn people.

But many of them don't because they've found out that they aren't listened to until a punishment gets handed out. First punishments last for a very short amount of time.

Our rules are simple if you only read the first few words of every bullet point. They are only long because people kept finding things that weren't explicitly mentioned and then saying "but it didn't say I couldn't cheat on an alt... I shouldn't be banned on my main".

It also doesn't make any sense to have 31 other people be forced to mute another person. If they are being found annoying, they should be globally muted for everyone's convenience.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
So it's not an issue because most of the time they warn? I just do not think it's a good thing to have admins do. And what rules do you people violate all the time? Are people upset by it or are they having fun? If the only issue with what they are doing is that it is against the server rules, without hurting anyone or running anyone's fun, then it's a bad rule. Rules should be made to make sure the server stays enjoyable for everyone, and if a rule does more harm o that ideal than good, it should be removed. Also no I do not expect warns for forum posts, a warning by the person making the post would be nice but I understand the complexity of issuing warnings after the fact. AS silly as it is for someone to sit there guessing why the hell they can no longer speak or chat.

Rules are there because those violations make it less fun for others. It's harmful, therefore it is punishable if you do these things. If you get caught speeding and a cop pulls you over for speeding, is it the cop's fault that you were ignorant of the rules? No, it is your own. You chose to do it and you should know it is not okay. Admins shouldn't have to babysit everybody. You're all competent enough to do research and figure out the rules so you do not break them.

Reactions: Zeke Aileron

Lady Nightingale

Contributor
Rules are there because those violations make it less fun for others. It's harmful, therefore it is punishable if you do these things. If you get caught speeding and a cop pulls you over for speeding, is it the cop's fault that you were ignorant of the rules? No, it is your own. You chose to do it and you should know it is not okay. Admins shouldn't have to babysit everybody. You're all competent enough to do research and figure out the rules so you do not break them.
But there are a few rules that violating does not make it less fun for others in many cases I.e. Music spam and "vote abuse". The cop analogy is terrible, You need a license to drive you do not need one to play tf2. And there is no reason for admins to be as strict as cops. The rules should at least be flexible. If people are having fun why bother with a mute or a ban, it would be against what you state the rules are there for to begin with.

• Dumb
Reactions: Seminal Inhalation

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Nobody needs to warn people for rules. Follow them, wipe your tears and eat your punishments.
From his replies, he's upset micspamming is now against the rules. It's the tf2 equivalent of rolling down your car windows and blasting your car radio. It's not cool, it's not funny, you're just being a prick.

Zeo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
But there are a few rules that violating does not make it less fun for others in many cases I.e. Music spam and "vote abuse". The cop analogy is terrible, You need a license to drive you do not need one to play tf2. And there is no reason for admins to be as strict as cops. The rules should at least be flexible. If people are having fun why bother with a mute or a ban, it would be against what you state the rules are there for to begin with.
Bottiger already explained the voice spam. That one should be clear and cut already. I don't want to listen to you play loud and obnoxious among us/ pokemon sounds clips.

So it's okay for you guys to vote slay/ kick/ ban/ mute someone if you're having fun? What if another player sees this and does the same thing but to an innocent player? Sometimes everyone just presses F1. Their justification is they saw you doing it. Are you going to take the ban for that?

The rules are very simple.

Stove™

Positively Inhumane Poster
You wanna listen to or play music? Pull it up on your browser or do it in a Discord call or somethin. Same goes for obnoxious sound effects if you feel so inclined.
You wanna be friendly? Go on a silly server or idle server.
You want to, for some bizarre reason, mute or ban someone because "haha funni"? Then sit out your punishment for being a bloody moron.

If you want a warning not to do this stuff so badly, here ya go.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure when you join a server, it tells you to read the rules. If you can't be bothered to do that, then complain about getting punished for something against the rules that you didn't bother to read through, then that's your own stupid fault.

Helius21

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
But there are a few rules that violating does not make it less fun for others in many cases
then why are you here? admins are players too. strict ones! great ones. you ruined their fun. my fun is enhanced knowing people like you won't hop on and spam music over an ancient voice chat that's not getting any better any time soon. maybe I'm just lame though :)

Lady Nightingale

Contributor
No need to get hostile wow. I put an idea forward as I have mentioned it a few times on the server and people also agreed it was dumb, opinions of the administration are not very high for a lot of people on the server. And my take on music playing is when things are quiet I ask if people want music played. It is a great way for people to maybe hear new types of music and other content they may not have experienced otherwise and when I run it its for the enjoyment of others if I would always shut it down if asked. But I have not played since the mute I just brought up the fact I feel it was silly, voice clips, memes, and other audio are allowed over mic just not music, and I still think it's silly to exclude it specifically. I wanted to start a conversation and some good points were brought up, but I do not see why y'all need to jump to personal insults.

Stove™

Positively Inhumane Poster
I just brought up the fact I feel it was silly, voice clips, memes, and other audio are allowed over mic just not music
None of those are allowed over mic (the first three have never been allowed and only recently was music added). They all constitute as micspam and will be punished accordingly provided someone records the demo and makes the report. You use the voice chat for, ya know, your voice, and not spamming through a soundboard.
It is a great way for people to maybe hear new types of music and other content they may not have experienced otherwise and when I run it its for the enjoyment of others
Once again, people can use any music sharing site or Youtube if they want to introduce themselves to new music or content so badly. People can Steam message or Discord message music and whatnot to each other, too. There's no reason to do this through the TF2 voice codec. And as someone who used to micspam and doesn't anymore because I realized how obnoxious it is, most people do not enjoy it and will, in fact, mute or report you for it. Use your mic to actually talk to people and not spam through a soundboard.

Friendly Killer

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Being friendly is against the rules as is music spam, I quote these all the time to people. What do I hear, fuck the rules, we dont care etc, all the time. I have been muted and kick by these players, that is vote abuse. So why when I report them should they be warned by an admin? They have even read the rules and have the same response. So they deserve what they get. By the way when an admin is playing they do get warnings.

Reactions: Iris Ⓐ