soo

TF2 Admin
Contributor
-1 for now

I personally, find ban reporting on forums to be not only far too slow, but completely useless as far as practicality. Individuals who cheat on a server usually cause chaos throughout the server on a specific account they made, then they leave, most likely never to return again. On the off chance that they do return, it will probably be under a different name. Let's say hypothetically, the individual is banned. The truly adamant have no issues making a new account, running their game through a VPN, or changing their IP address, thus rendering any ban Skial provides to be useless. Of course, this is with me making an assumption that you ban via IP and Steam account. The point is, I see no reason to submit a ban report on the forums as an individual has to review my post, check my credibility, review any evidence provided, and then proceed to ban the individual.

If you see no reason to submit the report, do you also see no reason to respond to the report? Responding to reports is part of the admin's responsibilities and would be something you are expected to handle as well. Furthermore, many of the appeals we see can be linked to a corresponding report. I do not see how the report system can be useless if banned / silenced players are appealing when their ban / silence originated from a report. The report system works. It may not work to your liking but, it does a pretty good job and it is thanks to the community that it has worked so well.

Of course there are players that can avoid the ban and come back like selkies did for so long but, patrolling wouldn't solve the problem either. They can just come back or switch to the skial servers where an admin may not be present until alerted. The damage will still be done in those cases.

Overall, I've seen you around the servers and think you are a nice guy and a great player. but I do find it concerning that you think reports are useless.

Kaleido

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
I personally, find ban reporting on forums to be not only far too slow, but completely useless as far as practicality.

I'm sorry, but what?

As someone who has made almost 30 reports in the last say, five months, I can assure you that using the reporting system here on the forums is not only rather quick but effective. More often than not one of my reports are handled within minutes of posting it. Outside of reports I have made, I have also alerted the staff team to numerous more rule offenders solely by steam message and a request for one of them to join and observe the same thing I see.

What I gather from what you said is that you want to be an admin so you can nuke someone on spot while you're playing, but you can't do that. You'd have to stop playing, watch, record, and log that persons ban if you made it. Not to mention that you'd have to do bans based on more than just YOUR opinion of if someone is cheating or not.

That being said, you seem to want to be on the team for the benefit of YOUR gameplay, not the communities. I don't mean this as in you'd abuse, or the like, but you stated yourself you are tired of scripters ruining your play. Furthermore you discredit the system that this community uses and have chose not to use it yourself, yet want to be on the team. I also feel like out of what you have said, you display some weird animosity toward the forums which believe it or not, is a large part of this community.

Paladin [Dark]

Mildly Menacing Medic
I guess I concede that maybe the job is not for me as it is quite a bit different from my old one. Regardless, thank you for the consideration.

Xantam

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
I guess I concede that maybe the job is not for me as it is quite a bit different from my old one. Regardless, thank you for the consideration.

I’m sorry it took so long for me to reply. To all those wth concerns about the speed of his replies, he could not reply and had been PMing me his replies but I had no access to my phone or internet all day.

Is this your request to close your app or do you want to leave it a bit longer?

Bottiger

Administrator
It should also be noted that practically all vpns have been detected at Skial for the past several months now. It is not likely we'll see another rage hacker switching to a new account after every ban for a long time.

Last edited:

Crash.ca

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
You can always try again in another 6 months or so, and get your ducks in a row man, put in the reports like all do, and in support of the admins already on board, they do attend to reports very quickly, due to all the different time zones covered. You have a great thought process about wanting to keep the scumbags out of the servers, but nobody can be watching 24 7, catch a few of the "specials" and show them you're intent on wanting to be a part of their team. Just my thoughts of course man. see ya on 2fort.