Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
so we can stop voteabuse from going through.

TL;DR: I see a lot of vote abuse happen and its not uncommon for the votes to succeed on innocent people. Having the ability for admins to cancel a abusive voteban/votemute would be great

Boring long version:
If its too much of a hassle to add its not that big of a deal, but if it wouldn't be too hard to add it would be a great addition.

I play on VSH/death run a lot and I've seen quite a few hales who were successfully slayed when they weren't breaking the rules. It's not uncommon for people to vote yes because they're dead and want the round to restart by slaying hale when he's innocent.

I also see quite a few votes going through because someone's too lazy to client mute a "squeaker" so they try to votesilence them (and it usually goes through because people are too lazy to client mute the kid and instead spend 30 minutes complaining in chat trying to votemute them)

That doesn't scratch the surface of all the successful vote abuse on people I've seen but it should give an idea

185db

Epic Skial Regular
I was about to say cant you just unsilence or whatever when vote is passed but you brought up a valid point about having to restart on hale.

+1

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I was about to say cant you just unsilence or whatever when vote is passed but you brought up a valid point about having to restart on hale.

+1

From personal experience people who are votebanned usually just end up taking a break for awhile and don't bother coming back for a few hours which causes the server to lose a player for awhile

Most people who are vote silenced just wait out the 30 minutes even when I unsilence them and tell them they can reconnect for it to take effect

It's also a hassle having to go to sourcebans, unsilence them then tell them to reconnect, 90% of the time they don't so the efforts wasted. Most people I add to tell them "hey you're unbanned" don't accept the friend request

It's not that much of a problem but it would still be nice being able to do something about stopping vote abuse in its tracks

Reactions: RMSniper

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
+1 I don't manage it as much but I understand the struggles of having to go back and remove a mute and gag on SB

Tayto

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
+
iy88kk4.png

Luke

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
IIRC Skial uses a custom made voting system Bottiger made so I doubt that would work

I'd try it on myself but admins don't appear on the votemenu list

If you're able to test at some point that would be great (happy to help, if needed) but for now, +1

T-Wayne

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
cancelvote exists, but we are not flagged, therefore unable, to use that command.

This suggestion is useful, +1

T-Wayne

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
The command exists but its not enabled for us if I'm correct
It means, it is there, yes. We get an error message along the lines of "You are not allowed to use this command". That is because our admin flags are not set for that specific command. It really is a matter of setting a flag for that specific command. But in order for this to happen, Bottiger would need to see use in this suggestion, which I hope he does.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
If it gets out of hand, would sm_vote_allow 0 be possible? (This just disables voting until the server is restarted or it's turned back on by changing 0 to 1)

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I wanna get this out of the way now because suggestions for giving admins a bit more power usually brings up a abuse concern from one or two people

Admins have the power to ban people including permanent bans. If we can be trusted with that I imagine giving us the power to cancel a votemute or a voteban isn't a scary prospect.