Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
So this is nothing totally new for me, but it's becoming much more of a chronic issue. I have always had nightmares much more frequently than I have just normal dreams, but lately it has gotten to the point where I actively avoid sleeping because if I get enough sleep I'm guaranteed to have a nightmare. If I were to try to sleep 7-9 hours a night, I would have a nightmare literally every night. Also, my nightmares have become much much much more vivid, gorey, and disturbing lately. My question is, have any of y'all ever dealt with this and if so what was the solution(s)?

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The only advise I can give is analyse your dreams, see how they relate to recent events in your life and any anxiety or fears you have in waking hours. Understanding of your own mind is, I believe, key to maintaining a healthy mind.

Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
The only advise I can give is analyse your dreams, see how they relate to recent events in your life and any anxiety or fears you have in waking hours. Understanding of your own mind is, I believe, key to maintaining a healthy mind.
I'll try to do that tomorrow night since it's already 3am now and too late for me to get one unless I'm really unlucky. It's usually never a recurring nightmare, which I haven't had since I was in elementary school or even younger, so I don't know how that plays into it.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'd say if your young (under 20 ish) then don't worry to much, nightmares are very common in children and lessen as people age. Nightmares in older people can be linked to traumatic experiences, but not always so. If they are not recurring nightmares, it's probably less likely to be linked to trauma, but I'm no therapist, so I'm only going on assumption based on everything I have read.

sehcturc

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
If there's possible trauma you should look into therapy; Other than that try to not eat right before sleeping, exercise more or reduce stimulation before sleeping, and cut out any caffeine or sugar. I used to have the same issue.

Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
I'm 23, I exercise daily at minimum, only thing I ever have with caffeine in it is my preworkout which I've ran out of that a month ago and don't feel like I need it enough to spend the money on it, and have been eating low sugar for a long time now. Not sure what trauma it could possibly be, and I'll try eating my last meal of the day a little bit earlier than I do.

sehcturc

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
Sometimes the only issue is you worrying about it, Once I had to sleep anyway and started to stop caring as much, it improved. It's hard to just say "don't think about it" but maybe you can try meditation or some mental exercises throughout the day to avoid possibly expecting or thinking that it's going to keep happening. I used to have the really bloody and fucky dreams too.

Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
Update: the other night I didn't have any dreams at all, which is fine, but last night I had a super great dream followed by a nightmare. Idk what to say to that lol.

Reactions: sehcturc

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
The only real solution is to stop sleeping altogether. That way you will never have another nightmare again

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The only real solution is to stop sleeping altogether. That way you will never have another nightmare again
3 days with no sleep and you will be having the worst nightmare of your life, you will be awake and dreaming at the same time.

Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
3 days with no sleep and you will be having the worst nightmare of your life, you will be awake and dreaming at the same time.
The solution I'm currently trying is to sleep earlier for more sleep and suffer through the nightmares when they happen until they start happening less and less.

ManaPig

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Persistent nightmares are sometimes a sign of a trauma that you have suffered through. Your conscious mind does not want to relive this trama so your subconscious mind is trying to deal with this issue thought nightmares.
Please talk to a therapist. you are only 23 now is time or you might have a lifetime of self-destructive behavior that makes your life chaos. believe me, I know please talk to someone.

Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
Persistent nightmares are sometimes a sign of a trauma that you have suffered through. Your conscious mind does not want to relive this trama so your subconscious mind is trying to deal with this issue thought nightmares.
Please talk to a therapist. you are only 23 now is time or you might have a lifetime of self-destructive behavior that makes your life chaos. believe me, I know please talk to someone.
I will look into finding someone, yes. I'm currently looking into the pricing and options for it with my uni's counseling services, but I won't be eligible to actually use it until Fall.

Reactions: sehcturc