MikeDexter123

Unremarkable User
Hello, for a long time, I have always felt like there was something missing for the micspam rule, and I want to present some suggestions to improve it and draw a silver lining that can also help clear up confusion, forgive me if I make any errors or grammar mistakes. However, I am going off of what I currently know so please forgive me if I am missing something or misunderstood something, I hope it is not controversial, but please correct me on something or something I should know in the comments below, like maybe what I am referring to might not be called micspam, or there are caveats and exceptions to what I am talking about, if so, let me know, and if a admin could also chip in. This post be redundant if there is something else I need to know, but please refer or let me know down below. Anyways,

So, I have heard that micspam is something as simple as playing audio into a microphone, however, I am unsure if there is some caveats or exceptions in these servers as there times it is was acceptable and others that was not which seems to result in punishment to some people. But, if is not just suppose to have any exceptions, I want to maybe give a different point of view and if the rule could potentially ever be adjusted or have exceptions as I have some concerns and confusion on why is it the way it is, by the end, you might understand why I am suggesting a change in the first place. Now when you talk into a microphone, your voice and sound is being turned into audio that can be heard across the server to all players. Now I understand that the micspam rule is there so people don't have to be disturbed or hear something they do not want to hear, that is understandable, however, there is one problem I fee like, correct me if I am wrong but it appears that this rule applies to just playing audio whether it is disturbance or not. Even if it is to some people, they could also mute the person. Also, couldn't it also be the same thing as you just talking into the microphone? like if people don't like the way you talk and dislike it, like if I'd sound weird, cocky, talked a lot, or something, so would there really be much to distinguish between the two and would it make a true difference then if the outcome is going to be the same and if it both doesn't disturb the whole server? Like maybe it doesn't cause disturbance to the whole server and maybe gives people a laugh or good time, even if it seems to bring something positive, it still seems to be against the micspam rule regardless as some have gotten punished for it, and I am assuming because audio is just not allowed over the mic regardless of the intention, but if that is the case, I want to ask why.

"Assuming that what I am trying to refer also counts as micspam" micspam isn't always done with ill intent and it can really go in both ways. On one hand, either someone does it with ill intent like making it very loud, disturbing, and spammy and obviously being aware it would annoy others and make them unable to communicate with each other, while on the other hand, there is no ill intent and it is just for someone to play some audio to project something funny, ironic, or simply just vibing to connect with others either if it is when nobody is talking or just to respond to something or someone, and maybe they turn it off or shorten it when someone begins to talk and try to communicate to others so they do not disrupt them completely, and it may not even be continuous audio like it could be just short and quick. In my opinion, i feel like the mic spam rule if it truly does restrict audio into the mic all together could somewhat limit some human expression as playing a sound, audio clip, or music could be a way of someone trying to express something without using their voice. Whatever the audio may be, it would all give off an impression of you as you are the one who is deciding to project that sound in the first place, even including your own voice in general, to create emotion or a reaction. This could be similar to something like mimicry which although may not be the exact same thing, it can be used to express a particular emotion or give off an impression that is based on something you like or want to mimic and display it to others.

In all, in the future, I would recommend maybe allowing or clarifying when or what is acceptable mic spam and unacceptable mic spam as as it stands, it seems to punish who have bad intentions and no bad intentions. It just seems to be missing some silver lining as to be honest, it feels like it is a rule that is designed to stop spam into the microphone with loud noise and disturbance, but to me it feels weird that micspam also counts if it is none of that and if it is not upsetting many people, especially if it is not even continuous and could be something quick. Micspam to me feels both moral and immoral, depending on how it is done, "assuming playing a couple second audio clip can count as micspam". In all, I am just asking for some sort of change as I feel like I want to express myself but in other ways other than my voice, and make people genuinely laugh at times, I feel like if most of the server is having a good time, I am not disturbing too many people, the audio is not to loud, maybe it is short, , make sure it is not repetitive, and make sure to turn it off when people want to communicate with each other, then am I doing anything truly wrong than? but to me, I feel restricted if this is how the rule is and the way I might want to express myself sometimes. I always hear audio being played and a lot of the community seems to be fine with it and maybe even laugh or enjoy it and have a good time, rarely in those cases it causes a votemenu kick. It mostly seems to result in a votemenu kick when when it is very loud, spammy, repetitive, continuous, or inappropriate, in which the person mostly gets muted then. So if this something that isn't at times a complete disturbance, and may even do the opposite, than I feel like there should be some sort of exception or caveat as this is something that I do not feel like is always bad, as I said before, I just feel like there needs to be some sort of silver lining since it something that brings good like making people smile, laugh, and have fun, but if done with bad intentions, it brings the bad, such as causing annoyance, disturbance, and disappointment. I guess it is like a yin and yang, a good side and a bad side, but I just don't know what to feel about it exactly, I want to lean on yes but at the same time I am maybe just unsure, guess you could call it a love and hate relationship, brings good and joy when it is done right and appropriately without disturbance, but bad when done the opposite, it's just where does the line draw, and how it should be handled by admins? depending on how it is called. Anyways please let me know if what I am talking about is also considered micspam as I find it's categorization a little misleading especially in it's name if it involves just playing audio that doesn't include spamming it. If these caveats and exceptions exist, please let me know then, if not, than If I were to suggest a change, this is what I would maybe come up with.

Acceptable micspam:
- Does not disrupt others when communication from other mic talkers is in session
- Is not continuous for long periods of time
- Appropriate volume level
- Not being used repetitively too much to where it becomes annoying
- appropriate language

Uacceptable micspam:

- Disrupts others when mic talkers are trying to communicate with each other
- continuous and doesn't stop
- Using it at Loud volume levels
- Inappropriate sounds or offensive/racist language

(Anyways let me know what is your take on this in general)

Last edited:

The Best Bast

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I get where you're coming from but you could have summed up this whole thread in one line, maybe two if you really want to stress that it's important to you.

"Could the micspam rule be more lenient and allow occasional short audio extracts as opposed to loud and annoying on purpose earrapy audio, because the server is sometimes into it and it's not as intrusive ? I kinda feel like it sometimes when it seems alright in the context and think it could improve the server's experience."

I understand it's fun typing when one gets started and you wanted to make it emotional but pointless walls of text don't really help you make your point. They just waste people's time and drag said point, at least when it's only logorrhea (which it is).

No opinion on the actual matter. But I think I've heard enough times the .mp3 of Medic and Heavy having sex. Yes, there are really fun and clever micspammers scarcely using short audios and with a good sense of comic timing, but they're slowly getting extinct and it's mostly people spamming their soundboard because they just installed it and are attention starved, all of this without caring about context at all. Better to be cautious and not allow it altogether.