Enigma

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
So, I was wondering what types of majiggers make a difference in gaming. For example, mouses, headsets, etc. Right now I am in the process of moving from playing on the carpet floor in my room, I use a laptop, to a desk. Also, I use a cheap 20$ logitech mouse. I don't have a headset, but my laptop's sound seems to be pretty good. (Wouldn't know the difference since I've never used a headset) So, should I upgrade my stuff? Or does it even make a difference?

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
A surround sound headset has made a world of difference for me. Never bothered to buy an expensive mouse.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
IMO the biggest difference you can really make is getting a set of headphones. You'll hear decloaks much more often.

Raccoon99

Epic Skial Regular
I am using a Cheap 20 dollar USB keyboard with the same logitech mouse you have. It works fine with me, Thinking of getting a Steelseries 6GV2 keyboard and the 7H Finatic edition headset.

FearlessJuggernaut

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
I agree that the introduction of a headset could greatly enhance the overall experience of gaming and communicating. That said, I'd recommend the Razer Carcharias (http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Carcharias-Gaming-Headset-Black/dp/B001PTH0VW). I was fortunate to receive a 50$ gift card to Best Buy for Christmas. Will change your entire experience if you enjoy processing auditory information.

The keyboard is less important for the type of gaming I do (FPS, RPG, RTS). I use a Logitech G15 I bought back in 2007. It has stood the test of time, is expanded for functionality and is still pretty cool.

The mouse is the Kingmaker in the land of reflex and reaction-based gaming. This is where the money should certainly go following the headset.

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
Going with everyone else, headset and mouse are probably best to update.
If you need a good headset for a cheap price, here http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-Open-Ear-Gaming-Headset/dp/B001KUSXXU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1340167115&sr=8-5&keywords=gamecom plantronics (I should let you know though they have the helicopter pilot look, but they have great surround sound and good sound quality)
I use this headset as well and love it.
... I use a Logitech G15 I bought back in 2007.
I loved my g15 when I had one, until it became victim to an accident. My little cousin found it when i wasn't looking and broke the flip up screen on it. Hate the new G15s with the stationary one.

Isil

Epic Skial Regular
which is better performance wise, maxframes or highframes? I could never figure this out.

i.e. which one gives you more frames consistently

joemaster725

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
I just ordered this :) Thanks for the advice

You sir, are going to be sadly dissapointed with this headset! i owned the gamecom 777 (exact same design, but 5.1 usb surrond). They are cheaply made, and the plasic bends. mic went out after 3 months of owning them, and the cups make it very hard for them to stay up on ones head. This headset also has very poor sound quality for listening to music. Now grant it yours were only 40, and mine were 100, but they still have the same design. If you can, get a razer, steelseries or turtle beach headset!

Emotive

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Headsets can be an awesome experience but you get what you pay for.

Make sure you put some decent cash down for one.