Which Counter Strike do you prefer?

• Counter Strike

• Counter Strike: Source

• Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Results are only viewable after voting.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
For the benefit of this comparison, I will be evaluating each game during its prime, or in the case of CS:GO, present day. I bet at least a few of you did not know that Counter Strike: Global Offensive was not the only one.

I will go over game play quality and technical mechanics (settings, customization).

I will also be skipping Counter Strike: Condition Zero and any other non-popular games.

If you have anything to add, or change, please let me know! (and yes, this was written by me, not copy + pasted)

Counter Strike

Game Play

Pros
  • Wide spread of game modes, even if unofficial
  • Flash bangs are more effective
  • Wall-banging much more viable
  • Larger variety of maps that are played
  • Simple visuals, no skins, frames per second sapping sky, or extraneous objects
  • Sprays
  • Good movement requires skill and practice
  • Hit registration is quite good
  • Hit boxes are slightly larger then model
  • Riot shield, flashlight, night vision goggles
  • Counter terrorist only have one M4 and starting pistol, both coming with an attachable silencer
  • Spraying is not as easy, requiring people to learn to burst and tap, higher skill ceiling
  • Regarded by veterans of the series as being the best game
  • Quite competitive
  • Player model is correct size in relation to the map
  • No extra sounds
Cons
  • Desert eagle and AWP are easy to use, and a little overpowered
  • 3 grenades (High Explosive, Flashbang, Smoke)
  • Buy ammo (Controversial)
  • Some maps are unbalanced
  • When you land after a jump, you stick to the ground for a second, causing slower movement speed and clunky jumping mechanics
  • Graphics are not high detail, causing objects at long range to be hard to spot
  • Smaller range of guns
  • Few "official" gamemodes
  • No in-game competitive
  • Physics are unrealistic
Technical Mechanics

Pros
  • Anybody can get good frames per second
  • Community is nice and willing to help
Cons
  • Minimal console commands
  • Offline mode has no bots
  • Crosshair is not very customizable
  • Viewmodel is immovable
  • Lack of graphic settings
  • Does not run well on widescreen mode [16:9] (cuts off the top and bottom)
  • Many crucial setting adjustments must be done with commands, rather then being in the option menu
  • Frames per second is locked to 100 maximum
  • No workshop
Counter Strike: Source

Game Play

Pros
  • Movement is incredibly fast paced for a Counter Strike game, allowing for consistent bunny hopping and all that good stuff
  • Great game to just mess around in and have fun
  • Wide spread of game modes
  • Sprays
  • Good hit registration
  • Ammo is free (controversial)
  • Great movement requires skill and practice, while good movement is fairly easy
  • Higher detail graphics, long range visuals easier to make out
Cons
  • Hit boxes are abnormally large
  • AWP fires extremely fast, and way overpowerd
  • Same with the Desert Eagle
  • Inaccuracy while moving or jumping is low in this game
  • 3 grenades (High Explosive, Flashbang, Smoke)
  • Some maps are unbalanced
  • Same amount of weapons as Counter Strike
  • No in-game competitive mode
  • Widely regarded as the worst in the series
  • Lower skill ceiling then the other games in the series
  • Too many interactive and extra objects
  • USP and M4 only come with silencer
  • Physics are unrealistic
  • Tapping and bursting are very un-viable tactics
  • Extra sounds
Technical Mechanics

Pros
  • Options and console commands are the same as TF2
  • Crosshair customization
  • Offline has bots
  • Graphical settings
  • Widescreen (16:9) and normal (4:3) are both supported fully
  • Unlocked FPS
  • Great frames per second for the quality of graphics
  • Community is good
  • Graphics are way better compared to the previous title
Cons
  • No workshop
  • Viewmodel is immovable

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Game Play

Pros
  • Balanced weapons and maps
  • Large spread of guns
  • Good graphics and visuals
  • High detail
  • Not too many extraneous objects
  • 5 grenades (High Explosive, Flashbang, Smoke, Fire, Decoy)
  • Multiple official game-modes
  • Skins (controversial)
  • In-game competitive and ranking
  • Very competitive
  • AWP and Desert Eagle are not over-powered
  • Choice of M4A4 or M4A1-S and USP or P-2000
  • Movement is quite good, and requires much skill and practice to bunny hop
  • Physics are realistic
  • Many, many community made maps
  • Ammo is free (controversial)
  • Secondary fire for grenades.
Cons
  • Hit reg sucks
  • Hitboxs are smaller then model
  • The spread of maps played seriously is limited to about 10
  • Spraying is way too easy
  • Tap shooting is not as effective as in other titles
  • High frames per second is difficult to achieve without a great computer
  • No sprays
  • Extra sounds
Technical Mechanics

Pros
  • Updated console commands and option menus
  • Crosshair is fully customizable
  • Viewmodel is customizable
  • Workshop
  • Many offline gamemodes and training maps
  • All resolutions are fully supported
  • Wide variety of graphical settings
  • Unlocked FPS
Cons
  • General community is cancer, but it may just seem that way because of the large amount of players
  • Way too many cheaters

I have come to the conclusion that CS:GO is by far the best in technical mechanics, but it is still a debate whether or not Counter Strike or Global Offensive has the better game play. However, the lack of official game modes and match-making really brings down Counter Strike, but on the other hand, Global Offensive suffers from bad hit registration and hit boxes. It pretty much comes down to preference in this category. Source is kind of left as the outlier, and while having better mechanics then Counter Strike, it has the lowest quality game play and competitive aspect of the three (while still being incredibly enjoyable).

Last edited:
Reactions: Defibyoulater

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
How is the amount of little kids a con to the game? And Counter Strike having the best gameplay is an opinion. But other than that not a bad comparison.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
How is the amount of little kids a con to the game? And Counter Strike having the best gameplay is an opinion. But other than that not a bad comparison.
Little kids as in the edgy little pieces of shit that scream at you like they know everything. A lot of them do not actually appreciate the game as well, and play competitive and are a huge detriment to your team. They treat it like Call of Duty, and it takes down the whole reputation of the game by a notch. It's hard to explain what I mean, but hopefully you get the idea. I guess people of all ages do that, I just find it to be more prevalent in the younger beings. I will remove that from the list.

Determining the best game play is something extremely difficult to choose, so I had to rely on the general opinion from players who have played the series for quite some time, not starting with CS:GO. You cannot really use concrete evidence because all games have their different pros and cons for game play. Once hit registration and hit boxes are fixed, Counter Strike: Global Offensive could very well rise to be the best of the three.

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Little kids as in the edgy little pieces of shit that scream at you like they know everything. A lot of them do not actually appreciate the game as well, and play competitive and are a huge detriment to your team I guess people of all ages do that though. I will remove that from the list.

Determining the best game play is something extremely difficult to choose, so I had to rely on the general opinion from players who have played the series for quite some time, not starting with CS:GO. You cannot really use concrete evidence because all games have their different pros and cons for game play. Once hit registration and hit boxes are fixed, Counter Strike: Global Offensive could very well rise to be the best of the three.
Even so, the amount of little kids is very little compared to the amount of older players.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The age of players really shouldn't matter. I've met older players that act like immature children. I've met a few kids on CS: GO that appreciate the game and work really well with their teammates. You're throwing all kids into the same category when clearly it's not that easy.

Also, this post is pretty pointless if you ask me.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
The age of players really shouldn't matter. I've met older players that act like immature children. I've met a few kids on CS: GO that appreciate the game and work really well with their teammates. You're throwing all kids into the same category when clearly it's not that easy.

Also, this post is pretty pointless if you ask me.

I guess people of all ages do that, I just find it to be more prevalent in the younger beings. I will remove that from the list.
Besides, lets not focus on this one point, this was not supposed to be a debate over the age of children playing. It is an M rated game though.

I gadda ask one thing.

Why did you make this.
I just thought it would be kind of neat to put all the differences of the games in one place. I myself have also wondered about the differences, so by making this list it helped me to learn. I just decided to post it because some people may find it interesting as I do. I am big into finding out all the little details about games I like, and I'm sure at least one other person out there is too.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
Not to be mean or anything but in a few hours nobody will care about this thread. How long did this take you to make. Because you probobly wasted more time then this thread will be alive for. Just saying.
About 2 hours. I just kind of wanted to throw some information out there, I was thinking of making a steam guide or something that can be seen be a more wide variety of players. I posted it here first to receive some feedback. People don't need to post in it, but as long as somebody learns something from it my job will be accomplished. I will agree that saying that having little kids is a bad thing was wrong, and I removed it. I just prefer games to be played be people who are a bit older, and once you reach the age of 12 you're usually alright. Don't worry, I do not take your post as rude.

And geez, I try to be nice and provide information about the series and this is the response I get...

Welcome to the internet I guess.

For the record, my favorite game was the original one.

Cowboy Crow

Australian Skial God
Contributor
About 2 hours. I just kind of wanted to throw some information out there, I was thinking of making a steam guide or something that can be seen be a more wide variety of players. I posted it here first to receive some feedback. People don't need to post in it, but as long as somebody learns something from it my job will be accomplished. I will agree that saying that having little kids is a bad thing was wrong, and I removed it. I just prefer games to be played be people who are a bit older, and once you reach the age of 12 you're usually alright. Don't worry, I do not take your post as rude.

And geez, I try to be nice and provide information about the series and this is the response I get...

Welcome to the internet I guess.

For the record, my favorite game was the original one.
Nobodys saying this is bad information. Nobodys saying you're a bad person for providing information. Its just nobody gives a fuck about the information itself.

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Cons

• Hit reg sucks
    Hitboxs are smaller then model
    The spread of maps played seriously is limited to about 10
    Spraying is way too easy
    Tap shooting is extremely bad

High frames per second is difficult to achieve without a great computer
    No sprays
    Extra sounds
    Ammo is free (controversial)
Technical Mechanics

Pros

• Updated console commands and option menus
    Crosshair is fully customizable
    Viewmodel is customizable
    Workshop
    Many offline gamemodes and training maps
    All resolutions are fully supported
    Wide variety of graphical settings
    Unlocked FPS
Cons

• General community is cancer, but it may just seem that way because of the large amount of players
    Way too many cheaters
    Was pretty much dead until the introduction of skins and cases
  • I can very easily achieve 80+ fps on near max with my build, it's not a great build. Hell, even without this fancy new gpu i was able to get 60~ fps on lowest settings with a gpu slighty better then stock.
"Was pretty much dead until the introduction of skins and cases" how is this a con, it's not dead anymore.
"The spread of maps played seriously is limited to about 10" this is plenty.
"No sprays" how is this a bad thing, sprays are dumb.
"Tap shooting is extremely bad" I find tap shooting to be useful with the AK if the enemy hasn't seen you yet, you can kill him before he even knows your there.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
  • I can very easily achieve 80+ fps on near max with my build, it's not a great build. Hell, even without this fancy new gpu i was able to get 60~ fps on lowest settings with a gpu slighty better then stock.
"Was pretty much dead until the introduction of skins and cases" how is this a con, it's not dead anymore.
"The spread of maps played seriously is limited to about 10" this is plenty.
"No sprays" how is this a bad thing, sprays are dumb.
"Tap shooting is extremely bad" I find tap shooting to be useful with the AK if the enemy hasn't seen you yet, you can kill him before he even knows your there.
80 frames compared to the 200 you would probably have if you played one of the older games. I'm not saying your frames are bad, but the newer games are more taxing.

• The original counter strike was more popular then GO until the introduction of skins. Since the only variable besides the game aging that was changed was adding skins, I find it safe to assume that people preferred the game play from the original title. From my point of view, I see this as saying that Counter Strike was superior until they were added. If you see it as something different that's fine.
  • 10 maps is not bad, but the other games had way more that were played often. Keep in mind this is a comparison between the games and not a review.
  • Having sprays is better then not having them. If you don't like them you can just use a command to disable them
  • Tap shooting works, but not as well as in the other titles (because of hit reg and hit boxes).
Thanks for the feedback.

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
80 frames compared to the 200 you would probably have if you played one of the older games. I'm not saying your frames are bad, but the newer games are more taxing.

• The original counter strike was more popular then GO until the introduction of skins. From my point of view, I see this as saying that Counter Strike was superior until they were added. If you see it as something different that's fine.
    10 maps is not bad, but the other games had way more that were played often. Keep in mind this is a comparison between the games and not a review.
    Having sprays is better then not having them. If you don't like them you can just use a command to disable them
    Tap shooting works, but not as well as in the other titles.
Thanks for the feedback.
1.that doesn't justify making it a con.
2.okay, fine
3.okay, fine.
4. "Tap shooting works" so putting it as a con then saying "Tap shooting is extremely bad" contradicts what you said.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
1.that doesn't justify making it a con.
2.okay, fine
3.okay, fine.
4. "Tap shooting works" so putting it as a con then saying "Tap shooting is extremely bad" contradicts what you said.
What would you like me to do with them?

I guess I can change the tap shooting to say "not as effective as in previous titles"

And I am assuming you would like me to just remove the thing about skins?

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It doesn't matter that Counter Strike had a frame cap, 30hz and 60hz were all anybody really used back then so anything above 60fps didn't matter.

sov

Legendary Skial King
So why does it say "(controversial)" next to skins? CS:GO wasn't dead without skins.

185db

Epic Skial Regular
So why does it say "(controversial)" next to skins? CS:GO wasn't dead without skins.
Some people do not like skins because they feel that it detracts from the game. It makes people care more about the items then they do about gameplay. It also introduced betting, which while providing us with an incentive to watch matches, always provided players with the incentive to fix them. This is not my personal opinion, but I have come across people who feel this way so I felt it right to label it as so.

Counter Strike was way more popular until the introduction of trading and cases to CS:GO, and the original game was on its last legs, so to some people it looked like the series was almost dead.

TapTap

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
but-why.gif

Meowrisa

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Why is everybody bashing him for just making a discussion & information thread?
We've all made posts and threads just for fun before. I don't really understand the big deal.
If the thread doesn't get popular, it doesn't get popular, so what?

Reactions: 185db

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Why is everybody bashing him for just making a discussion & information thread?
We've all made posts and threads just for fun before. I don't really understand the big deal.
If the thread doesn't get popular, it doesn't get popular, so what?
Nobody is bashing him.