Which is better?

• Total voters

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
So, I'm making this thread to discuss the opinions of the two most popular Team Fortress 2 competitive leagues. I'll go ahead and break down both of them, just in case you don't know exactly what it is.

6v6 - 6 players on each team. The default team usually is 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 demo, 1 medic, however you are able to offclass, but it is usually better to stick with the default team. Normally is played on 5CP or KOTH maps.

9v9 - Also known as Highlander. 2 teams of 9 players each, each player as one class. Pretty straight forward, usually played on PL, KOTH, CP, or sometimes CTF.

So, what is your opinion on these two competitive leagues, which one is better, and why?

Enigma

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
I do 6v6 because I like to 1v1 people scout badlands spire mid with cow mangler quickscope headshots only. Ima pro grill gamur just looking 2 be like one of the gais.

sboles

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Even though I've only ever played highlander, I think 6v6 takes more skill. It isn't one of each class, so you're limited. You need to have a plan.

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Woops, I never put my opinion.

Well, like Seth said, 6v6 does require more skill to participate in, you need to know when and why to run a class, and when to push up from a point, and also how to defend a point. In Highlander, it really seams like the Heavy/Medic combo and Engineer are the only ones doing some real work. Scout and Soldier in Highlander can be really shitty to play, especially scout on payload, because you're supposed to literally sit on the cart all throughout the round. Soldier, meh, it's kind of just jump around and shoot things kind of situation.

Demoman is OP in both leagues though and can really help push up. Spy and Pyro are some really overrated classes in Highlander and are usually are the first couple of classes people resort to playing.
As one of my friends described Spy:
"Demoman is supposed to destroy sentries, and sniper is supposed to get the key picks. Spy is the crutch for bad demoman and snipers."

Pyro in Highlander is simple, kill the spy and protect the med. I can stand highlander pyros more than pub-star pyros mainly because if a pyro is leaving the combo, he's making them vulnerable to demomen, soldiers, and spies, he's not doing his job, and if he tries to puff and sting as he would in pubs, he'll get shut down immediately.

Sometimes I feel that 6v6 was made for the classes that got shitty jobs in Highlander. So you got 2 scouts and 2 soldiers and then a demo/med combo to help.

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
If I were to put a serious input, Highlander is for people who are good in pubs and find others that are good in pubs. Then you get into HL iron to play serious pubs. Then the pubs get seriouserer. Highlander is more "fun" though I'd say because it seems just less skill and planning based than 6v6. 6v6 is when you're really really into comp.

Sarcasm

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
It depends on the angle you're looking from... as a DM player, 6's takes more skill, but I personally think as a medic main, HL is harder by far... More guaranteed assassination classes, versus mostly projectile classes... You can learn to dodge rockets, but dealing with a sniper, when you make a mistake and walk into one of the many sightlines, is just tiring.