• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

keeg

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
I get it in CTF, but payload? It totally breaks the game mode. Seriously, you should put those respawns back to stock, else it takes a herculean effort to push as blue and that should not be the case.

Reactions: Blade D_Hero

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Most servers that have fast in the name were already fast respawn. We just decided to add the text because most people don't even know that tags exists.

A few servers that weren't fast respawn before have been empty the past week.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
There's a second quote from Bottiger somewhere that I'm too lazy to find, but he basically said on several occasions now that fast respawn 32 slot servers generally fill the best. Before quickplay they were popular until Valve took all the new and 'casual' players away with the quickplay changes.

I haven't been keeping a close eye on the player count so I could be wrong, but before the payload servers were switched over to fast respawn 32 player, they were generally empty. Suddenly they started to fill up more frequently when Bottiger changed them to fast respawn - 32 slots

CocoaNut Cakery

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Honestly, I feel like the whole issue of respawn times being the same wouldn't be a problem if maps were balanced better. Upward is probably the best example I know. It's a map that, on the whole, is balanced, but only with the respawn times and the fact that individual parts of the map are hugely unbalanced. All of Upward except for the final cap point is massively in favor of Blu (thanks only to the respawn time difference), whereas the final cap point gives a huge advantage to Red. If the last point wasn't nearly so unbalanced, then even respawn times would actually make the rest of the map completely balanced.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, you probably have to try harder as blue, but it is not impossible, and teams switch frequently enough to make it balanced imo.
Yeah CocoaNut, you are spot on there. Upward is a terrible map (on pubs) when it comes to the last point, It's a good map for HL as the last 20ft of the cart needs proper team coordination, but yeah on pubs most people just blunder in like walking into a meat grinder.

Reactions: Wrath

Wrath

Positively Inhumane Poster
Yeah, you probably have to try harder as blue, but it is not impossible, and teams switch frequently enough to make it balanced imo.
Yeah CocoaNut, you are spot on there. Upward is a terrible map (on pubs) when it comes to the last point, It's a good map for HL as the last 20ft of the cart needs proper team coordination, but yeah on pubs most people just blunder in like walking into a meat grinder.
I can't be the only one that like this.

As much of a pain in the ass to attack and defend the payload, I find the fast respawn actually welcome. While it does unbalance it in maps like Upward, if your team coordinates with each other, it can eventually stop the cart from advancing any further. I find the satisfaction of being able to slaughter faster while being kept alive by bomb to be quite fun, especially when the server's packed and you have bodies flying everywhere.