• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Playing spy is fun unless you have more than 2 spies total on your team (in a pub).
In a competitive atmosphere spy is like playing in the super bowl, 10-11 minutes of action and most of the time spent standing around.
Getting over the fear of just being instantly spotted and killed the second you de-cloak is one of the new players to spy need to do.
With time and some practice you'll be able to judge pretty easy what other sounds will cover up the sound of the de-cloak, in a pub for starters if you can hear someone on enemy team talking on the mic it's usually a fantastic audio cover for you to make a move. where as in competitive it becomes more of things like sentry fire, heavies minigun, rockets going off, even sticky bomb spam (the last two work well if you time it just right), and even things like judging when the enemy comms might be over taken and full of loud sounds.
Something that a friend of mine has told me to do is when you receive the map info for that week in competitive play, start up the map and test spots to be in as spy and judge if they would be useful (easy to get into without wasting much time) and remember they are there in the game, you never know if for some reason an engie will set up their sentry there and it will just be perfect for you to get into that spot.

Reactions: sov

the spy on fire

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Playing spy for me is no problem agenst newb people but pyros are easy to back stab for me with the your eternal usually ones who don't notice me. Usually spychecking is one spys need to avoid and stay out of the area. pick off the people not near a pyro and if there is one use your pistol to get him. ( distance from a pyro can save your life. )

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Imaging playing on lazytown_lazynite, You have a sentry there. The map gets crazy enough as it is, 2 scenarios: when you have a demoman/heavy-medic combo they can wreck some shit OR a spy will just backstab y'all and sap your sentries. The scenario changes everything, you're on edge, the spies can be anybody anywhere, unless of course you have a good pyro.
Teams deserve to be backstabbed like that if no one's spy checking. With classes like pyro and soldier checking consistently doesn't take that much extra work.

Roboute Guilliman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Spy main here!

Always loved killing other spies as spy. Because.... well... time to quote Dark Archer:
"What every archer spy wants.... is to see who's better

Other than that though, the class is (for me at least) extremely exciting and fun to play as, regardless how well I am doing.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
My name's hawkeye so you can guess i'm not exactly a fan of spies xP

When thinking logically,i don't understand how litterally backstabbing someone can kill them?
:challenge:

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
My name's hawkeye so you can guess i'm not exactly a fan of spies xP

When thinking logically,i don't understand how litterally backstabbing someone can kill them?
:challenge:
I think if you stick a 4-5" blade into someones back, you're going to hit either the lungs, heart, or some real heavy duty arteries.
8s496.jpg

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah but the butterfly knife isn't exactly that long @ @
The human heart is roughly 3-5 inches away from the back in most humans. The lungs are about 2-4 inches away from the back. Most balisong knife blades, including the one the spy has, are about 6-9 inches in length. I'd say that you wouldn't have too much trouble poking a poor sap in the vital organs from the back, especially since the only skeletal protection one has in the back is the spinal cord (if you can even call that protection).

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah but the butterfly knife isn't exactly that long @ @
Probably around 4".?, but the thing is there it's more or less entering the core of the body, so much of it is so critical to life that we have a ribcage to protect it all.

8shiE.png

Reactions: Hawkeye

CocoaNut Cakery

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Of all the classes, Spy is the most unique and that makes it both interesting and frustrating for an all-around player to use. I like playing Spy, personally.

I just hate it when I'm the designated spy checker as Engineer. That is literally the only class who shouldn't be taking the role of spy checker.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You are discussing the logistics of a back stab instantly killing someone in a game where shooting rockets at your feet simply propels you into the air.

CocoaNut Cakery

Gore-Spattered Heavy
You are discussing the logistics of a back stab instantly killing someone in a game where shooting rockets at your feet simply propels you into the air.

Don't forget that, until 1921, people got to the second floor exclusively using this method.