• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Drytoast

Unremarkable User
I'm not sure how, or why...but the settings on this server were changed about 3 days ago to allow the defending team instant respawns!

I don't think I need to explain to you that this has now made any attempt to even GETTING to the third map almost impossible, and winning the third map (if on Blue team) impossible.

Could a kind admin please revert the settings back to how they were. (I think red had a respawn time of 20 seconds, although I can't remember the exact waiting period)

Thanks!

Dry

iLudite

Mildly Menacing Medic
I've got to agree with this. I was on there for about 45 minutes earlier and no one could even get to the second stage.

Many of us were commenting on the chat / voice that we hope this is changed back soon.

Thanks admins!

Reactions: Beardo

Beardo

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I would have to completely agree with Drytoast. Dustbowl NY+, in my opinion.. is probably one of the most popular servers Skial offers. A lot of donators use it etc.. As of now, with the insta respawns, nobody likes it. People just complain about it all the time. It's nearly impossible to even pass the first map. It's always full from maybe 1pm -> 3am everyday, with the same community of players. Now a lot of them are leaving and finding new servers. There was no point in ruining a good server, with a lot of active players just to try to fill others. Add more 32 player servers.. with capture the point etc and maybe people would be more interested in them. I look up skial and see Dustbowl Ny+-full, Dustbowl LA+-full, Dustbowl EU+-full.. then all the payload servers etc empty.

Reactions: Blade D_Hero

❄loop❄

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I'm not for speaking for everyone, but as of now, a good portion of the regulars, currently a healthy group of 60+ people, are not really happy with the insta-respawn.. For KOTH maps, I can understand the point of insta-respawn when both sides have equal chance of winning, since the maps are symmetrical. For CP maps like Dustbowl, having a respawn is really the only way to balance out the Red team, because for Blu, there's always a long way to go and many people to kill before you can get on the point. As of now with the instant respawn, the chances of Red winning every single game, and the game becoming a stalemate, is high. That greatly makes the game unfun.

I know, Skial wants more people to join their servers; understandable on a profit point of view. But this really is only a short-term gain. This doesn't keep players because it's really no fun when Red wins 90% of the games.

+1 on Beardo's suggestions.

Lemon ugh

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
I am completely in agreement with what everyone above me has said!

After 6+ hours yesterday, the game only reached Stage 3 twice.

We would sincerely appreciate it if the respawn time could be re-introduced to this server! Thanks :)

[Mar] The Milkman

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
Instant spawns on red are completely retarded. With the spawn design on dustbowl blue team struggles to leave even when red players have a 15 second or higher spawn time. Lowering this spawn time just makes it harder for the blue team, and less enjoyable for everyone.

Please revert your change, Skial.
xoxoxoxo

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Let me first say that I agree with you.

It doesn't matter what gamemode we are talking about. The spawn timers are there for game balance. For a couple of years now, I have been making fun of people that complain that Skial servers spawns are too long. I told them that we use 'Standard Spawn Times" and that they just are used to playing on shitty servers with fast respawns or instant respawns. But now Skial are the shitty servers too because....

Valve fucked with quick play so that people choosing quickplay go to Valve servers by default. So that Skial doesn't get quickplay players unless they change a default setting.

Several of us have sent emails to Valve asking them to change their Quickplay Settings. They didn't respond to my email, or any one else's that I know of. So they don't give two shits about it.

So Skial is changing server settings to get more players, but those settings don't necessarily favor long term players because Valve is seemingly trying to gain control over TF2 servers like it has over the DOTA2 severs. (Just my $0.02)

Our only hope is to make Valve change the Quickplay settings so that community servers can function.

http://www.skial.com/threads/valve-...rvers-will-be-closed.49397/page-2#post-546808

Drytoast

Unremarkable User
Let me first say that I agree with you.

It doesn't matter what gamemode we are talking about. The spawn timers are there for game balance. For a couple of years now, I have been making fun of people that complain that Skial servers spawns are too long. I told them that we use 'Standard Spawn Times" and that they just are used to playing on shitty servers with fast respawns or instant respawns. But now Skial are the shitty servers too because....

Valve fucked with quick play so that people choosing quickplay go to Valve servers by default. So that Skial doesn't get quickplay players unless they change a default setting.

Several of us have sent emails to Valve asking them to change their Quickplay Settings. They didn't respond to my email, or any one else's that I know of. So they don't give two shits about it.

So Skial is changing server settings to get more players, but those settings don't necessarily favor long term players because Valve is seemingly trying to gain control over TF2 servers like it has over the DOTA2 severs. (Just my $0.02)

Our only hope is to make Valve change the Quickplay settings so that community servers can function.

http://www.skial.com/threads/valve-...rvers-will-be-closed.49397/page-2#post-546808

Well when I went to bed last night I played for maybe a half hour and was pleased to see the settings were reverted.

I just tried playing there today, and low an behold the settings are back to these shitty quick play settings nobody in this thread likes.

And oh yeah it was "6 on 6" bots and me. Which is unheard of for this time of day on a weekend.

You guys do what you want, I don't give a shit. But I'm not spending my time playing the same stage of dustbowl again and again and again, because you guys are trying to appeal to the adhd crowd. There are plenty of servers out there that offer what I want. I enjoyed it at skial, Good luck with your new direction but I'm not going back there until it's reverted.

CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Well when I went to bed last night I played for maybe a half hour and was pleased to see the settings were reverted.

I just tried playing there today, and low an behold the settings are back to these shitty quick play settings nobody in this thread likes.

And oh yeah it was "6 on 6" bots and me. Which is unheard of for this time of day on a weekend.

You guys do what you want, I don't give a shit. But I'm not spending my time playing the same stage of dustbowl again and again and again, because you guys are trying to appeal to the adhd crowd. There are plenty of servers out there that offer what I want. I enjoyed it at skial, Good luck with your new direction but I'm not going back there until it's reverted.
People are also out celebrating easter or gone for spring break. So that could also contribute to the servers being dead. I know a huge dustbowl crowd that is gone for the weekend either doing one or the other.

Look, I never said I liked this change but I will defend what we are doing so long as botty thinks it will help. This is also an experiment and not permanent. So honestly I'd just be patient and see what happens

Arya

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
What I don't understand is why do we need quickplay people. Skial is still one of the largest communties out there for tf2, we have a large regular base already. I say screw the people and keep what we have already. What does it matter if we get a few people from quick play if all the skial regulars leave?

Drytoast

Unremarkable User
People are also out celebrating easter or gone for spring break. So that could also contribute to the servers being dead. I know a huge dustbowl crowd that is gone for the weekend either doing one or the other.

Look, I never said I liked this change but I will defend what we are doing so long as botty thinks it will help. This is also an experiment and not permanent. So honestly I'd just be patient and see what happens

Your initial response to my thread in the server issues forum was more or less "lol l2 teamwork". Which was why I was annoyed with you in the first place.

I did and I saw something beautiful. I saw teamwork. Instead of complaining there were 9 or ten of us working together and we were able to get to third before it stalemated more so to the other team having demos, medics, and soldiers than our incompetence. Really did not see that much of a problem

If you were as familiar with the playerbase on that server as I am, you'd know that;

- nobody plays it "srs" and those that do get mocked.
- all chat is on 90 percent of the time.
- team scrambles happen very frequently.

I'd wager most join to have mindless fun, share a few laughs, and log off. As opposed to having to deal with the "can we work a miracle by having 10 people coordinate just so we can get past the second stage" experience it is right now.

And while I'm sure you think you made some point yesterday by managing to push to second street on the 3rd stage (congrats, that's honestly a rare thing now) As evident with your snide "I thought it was impossible to get to stage 3, Drytoast?" remark...

- I said getting to 3rd stage was next to impossible, but winning it was impossible. (although I'm sure somehow, somewhere someone has managed to do it once or twice...)
- you still came nowhere near close to capping the final point
- had you stayed for the next hour, you would have been treated to a slew of stage 1s with few hints of stage 2 thrown in, so your "point" was muted.

But don't worry, as everyone started to complain about the red's spawn timer, I was sure to pass along the "lol l2teamwork" message you have as a solution to this mess. Because, while I'm sure you'd love to say "Drytoast, you suck...YOU are the reason nobody is getting past the first stage, understand that remark accidentally falls on anyone else (which happens to be everyone else) whom also can't seem to do the same.

Ironic, had you just responded to my other thread saying what you just said here...I wouldn't agree with you, but at least I'd understand what you are trying to do here.

Anyways...

L2 admin.

Last edited:

SuperNewman

Face-Melting F2Per
Change 24/7 Egypt back, too. That server is always full during peak times, even without the instant respawn server filling crutch.

Drytoast

Unremarkable User
Found a new 24 7 dustbowl home... Ill
Check back from time to time k see when you Gus wanna sort this mess out.