• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
I wasn't into PC gaming and a long while back my buddy was on a TFC clan. He said "Give it a try". So i sat at his computer and tried it. I started as a Heavy of course because it was so easy. Then i got good and became a member of another clan. Stayed there until my new job entailed me being away from home for long durations, so i stepped down as admin/clan member. I then was off for close to a year due to a slip and fall/split the back of my head open/33 staples/cracked skull/severe concussion/lost ability to use right arm incident. So i gave it a try while i was sitting home bored as fuck. Downloaded it and been hooked ever since.

SuperNewman

Face-Melting F2Per
That sounds familiar... :p

I didn't really play TF2 at all until Mann VS Machine came out, due solely to not having a good enough connection (dial up, lol) to play.:D I even bought COD solely for the single player, back when it didn't suck nearly as hard (up until Black Ops, haven't played COD since).

Edit: Earned my first achievements in May, 2011.

Happy Flygineer

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
The first time I saw a TF2 character (the Engineer actually) doing the "Yeah, toast!" song on YouTube. I never bothered to look into the game at all. I got a new PC in 2011 (near the middle) and decided to try out a free to play game (Spiral Knights) when I saw it had an achievement hat.
I didn't have a good enough computer back then to play it (very low specs such as 1 GB of RAM).

Also, I had a forgotten Steam account from 2010 (I forgot the password) when I wanted to get Portal (for free) one weekend in May. I reset that accounts password in 2012 and I use it right now to get extra item drops to craft into metal.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I saw the beta trailer way back in the day and thought the game looked like amazing fun.

About a year or so after it came out I think I picked it up and had fun with it since

Reactions: sov and Khed

DaivdBaekr

Contributor
>Play it on Xbox at a friend's house
>Go to Halloween party and people are dressed as as sniper, demoman, spy, etc
>Download game
>Play game
>Quit game because soldier was overpowered as fuck
>Realize later it was a donator on nighteam
>Blacklist

And then I played about 2,500 hours of it.

[TBM] CeLlS

Uncharitable Spy
Friend starting talking to me about some game where you can disguise as the enemy and there was a frying pan.
You can figure the rest out

Coffee Cosmonaut

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Saw some random video of it, forgot about it for like a year, remembered, downloaded it, loved it, and still here. :)

CrazedManiac

Mildly Menacing Medic
I came across a video that tried to determine the Pyro's gender. I thought the gameplay footage looked interesting, so I decided to give it a try.

fa11en1ight

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Saw the zero punctuation review of the Orange box. Saw TF2 was f2p on steam. Tried it. Loved it.

Party Chocobo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
>xbox fag
>scam orange box off brother
>wut iz portal??
>omg best game 5ever
>wut is half life??
>omg best game 6ever
>team fortress?
>graphics are not like cod's 0/10
>play it for the lols
>omg cod sucks dick this game is the best
>laptop get
>steam get
>hats
>omfg game is even better, pc master race

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
friend told me about it at school

That friend no longer plays tf2 and went to dota 2

we aren't friends anymore

OpsMiller

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
I remember seeing the ad in counter-strike 1.6 servers and couldn't wait till it came out. Been placing dispensers ever since

Reactions: Khed

(-TG-)SvenPhantom

Server-Clearing Cynic
Saw some gameplay videos of TF2 a year before it went F2P, was interested but never had my own computer and the computer my parents had was absolute crap. Got my own computer, saw it was going F2P and got it.

Random Asian

Unremarkable User
I heard about it, searched it, saw it was p2p, waited till it was f2p, heard the wonderful news from my annoying friend, the end.

sov

Legendary Skial King
Was looking at free PC games and I kept finding TF2 (I already had a steam account before but never really used it much) so I redownloaded steam, started downloading TF2. While it was downloading i would watch TF2 videos on youtube....
(first TF2 video I ever saw)

... and then I started playing it. I played it so much that I bought a new PC for it and got into PC gaming and pretty much quit console gaming.