• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I came here for a serious discussion about friendlies.

Then I remembered that this is Skial forums.

All the seriousness that there is was already discussed

Unless the majority of people want friendlying to be allowed then we'll keep enforcing it

CocoaNut Cakery

Gore-Spattered Heavy
All the seriousness that there is was already discussed

Unless the majority of people want friendlying to be allowed then we'll keep enforcing it

Yeah, no. I was going to talk about why friendlying is bad.

Unless your team is crushing the enemy team, in which case friendlying is justified.

I still maintain that doing partner taunts and congas at the enemy spawn is a viable tactic, however.

CocoaNut Cakery

Gore-Spattered Heavy
No one is stopping you

Just because we joked around for a little doesn't mean this thread is no longer allowed to have any form of a serious discussion

Okay, well, I guess I'll talk about why I don't like friendlies. Let's say that you're playing 10v10 and two people on your team go friendly. You're now an 8 player team playing against a 10 player team. Given the nature of pubs and how respawns work, it's not long before you lose some players or the enemy team is able to get a kill advantage to the point where each of your lives ends up with you and your team fighting a 2v1 or even 3v1 match (because your team's getting so few kills relative to the enemy team). So while it may be fun for you to be a friendly, you're effectively destroying the fun of everyone else on the server with the possible exception of SOME of the enemy team (though I personally find rolling another team to be almost as annoying as being rolled), all in order to not play the game that you're playing when you could just as easily do that on one of the multitude of servers designed specifically for that. This is assuming, of course, that you aren't being a friendly by feeding sandviches to the enemy team. In which case, that's even worse.

Even when one player goes friendly, that's enough to imbalance the teams to the point I described above with the end result being a 2v1 fight. Even a bad player, a battle medic, or a low- to mid-skill trolldier can contribute more to the team than a friendly and can serve to help make sure that the teams are at least somewhat balanced.

I already end up playing on completely unbalanced teams enough. It's so frustrating to have to carry the entire match without break or a chance to rest, recover, and reload, and friendlies make that happen much more often.

I go friendly sometimes when my team is crushing the enemy team in order to balance things a bit (usually not until I try to get a scramble going, though), but joining a server with the intent of going friendly or going friendly when teams are balanced (or, worse, when your team's losing) is just being a complete jackass to everyone else on the server.

Last edited:

Psycho Robot

Mildly Menacing Medic
I've played hightower for a long while and it's always been pretty great. Nobody takes it too seriously. Everyone has fun. Sometimes we have conga parties. Sometimes we have boxing parties. Sometimes everyone goes pan and makes merry with cookware. The night Lordpil was talking about was another such night of people not taking it seriously and having fun. Then a couple admins show up and start banning people. Suddenly nobody is having fun. What is your goal in enforcing the rule? What is your goal in hosting servers? If its to be a fun place for people to play TF2, then banning people for spontaneous conga will not further that goal.

I play on skial hightower+ almost every night (EST evenings) and apart from lordpil and the admins (who I never saw once prior to the night in question), nobody here has ever been on it that I have seen. I play skial precisely because the regulars there don't take it as seriously as on other servers. Nobody is there for a serious experience, so nobody cares about friendlies. People kill them as is their right, but I don't think anybody has ever complained about it. So when an admin comes in and bans people for congaing, it comes off as more disruptive than administrative.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I've played hightower for a long while and it's always been pretty great. Nobody takes it too seriously. Everyone has fun. Sometimes we have conga parties. Sometimes we have boxing parties. Sometimes everyone goes pan and makes merry with cookware. The night Lordpil was talking about was another such night of people not taking it seriously and having fun. Then a couple admins show up and start banning people. Suddenly nobody is having fun. What is your goal in enforcing the rule? What is your goal in hosting servers? If its to be a fun place for people to play TF2, then banning people for spontaneous conga will not further that goal.

I play on skial hightower+ almost every night (EST evenings) and apart from lordpil and the admins (who I never saw once prior to the night in question), nobody here has ever been on it that I have seen. I play skial precisely because the regulars there don't take it as seriously as on other servers. Nobody is there for a serious experience, so nobody cares about friendlies. People kill them as is their right, but I don't think anybody has ever complained about it. So when an admin comes in and bans people for congaing, it comes off as more disruptive than administrative.

I've saw at least two people in the server thanking me for taking care of the friendlies on that night, another guy was on the mic explaining why we ban for friendlies and telling people to go to a non-serious server if they want to friendly and today another guy was expressing gratitude after I kicked some heavy friendlying on the server.

Point being is not everyone likes friendlies. Just because you don't see them complaining doesn't mean there isn't people who are quietly leaving due to friendlies and it's not all that uncommon for some players to make it clear that they don't care for friendlying once someone gets banned or kicked for it.

Psycho Robot

Mildly Menacing Medic
I understand why you have the rule. I'm just being another voice in support of allowing it, even if its just in these instant respawn servers where the traditional tf2 experience is already subverted.

People hate minis and a lot more than two would thank you for banning them, especially from a map so popular for trolldiering as hightower. That doesn't mean banning minis makes sense in terms of administration.

Reactions: sov

Gamemaster10476

Mildly Menacing Medic
I can tell you I was banned for "friendlying" and I completely agree with lordpil. Skial hasn't got it around there fucking brains that Valve created those taunts for a reason.

Deer Force

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I can tell you I was banned for "friendlying" and I completely agree with lordpil. Skial hasn't got it around there fucking brains that Valve created those taunts for a reason.
clearly that reason is to replace actual gameplay, take up a server slot, and annoy people that like playing video games

Gamemaster10476

Mildly Menacing Medic
Have any of you worked in retail? This isn't how you treat customers. You obviously don't want regulars, like me to come back. So why are you trying so hard to enforce something that has no justifiable reason being on a 24/7 High fucking tower server.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Have any of you worked in retail? This isn't how you treat customers. You obviously don't want regulars, like me to come back. So why are you trying so hard to enforce something that has no justifiable reason being on a 24/7 High fucking tower server.

See my earlier post in this thread:

Teamfortress 2 is, and has always been, a game designed around combat. We ban friendlying because while some people may like friendlying, there are people who hate it. The majority of people seem to enjoy playing the game the way it was intended to be played, not the friendlying way.

If you want to friendly without getting in trouble, you can go do so on Skial's trade servers and on Bottigers 24/7 idle without getting banned. Hell, you can even go find servers dedicated to nothing but friendlying. Lazy Purple hosts at least two non-competitive servers, you can go check those out if you want to friendly.

But if you do it on Skial servers (except trade and idle) you'll be banned.

If you show that you understand the rule and agree to not do it again I'd be willing to lift the ban to give you another chance, but this is something that should be discussed in your appeal, not here. I'm only bringing it up here because it looks like you're not checking back to your appeal.

CocoaNut Cakery

Gore-Spattered Heavy

A guy standing by the door to mock people that are coming in to buy things doesn't count as a customer. Even if he buys stuff, the priority goes to all the other people that he annoys by doing it.

As Meowcenary has pointed out--many times--most people that play on Skial dislike friendlying and there are plenty of servers where friendlying is actively encouraged. Just because Hightower is a "no cap" map doesn't mean people don't take the DM seriously.

So why, exactly, do you insist on being a jackass instead of, y'know, playing the game?

Reactions: chuckwagon

Wrath

Positively Inhumane Poster
I was on plr_crytower earlier today.

No issues, other than a player with mic spam that was taken care of with a votegag. Same person came back and played as friendly heavy. Votebanned. No vote had to be done twice. 32/32 players.

I don't see how the 'norms and conventions' is in anyway accurate when the issue stems from certain individuals who want to play the game the way they feel like it, not the way it was meant to be played (Objective based, CTF, payload race). There are servers with the same map that have different rules, perhaps it is time to move on instead of giving the admins and real regulars a hard time? (I honestly did see a dm_hightower once while browsing the other servers I never go to. My entire fav list is full of skial. :mad:)

I called you out on the server before, you're nothing but a troll and you damn well know it. When you don't get your way, you lash out, becoming abusive to those that tell you to stop. Then when you do get banned, you cry about it saying admin/players are abusing you. :facepalm:

JonasBrothers+OneDirection4EVER!

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier

I play Hightower because the level is small and easy for me to move around as as a Scout. I also play because I think it's fun how the Kart tracks are set up. What I don't find fun is when the majority of people on the server decide to join in on the one person that is doing Conga or the Rancho Relaxo taunt. I kill them and suddenly I'm worse than a mass murderer, with everyone calling me names and sometimes trying to !votemenu me. I always play to be serious, as does my little brother, so no not everyone that joins Hightower does it to be a rocket jumping Soldier or friendly player. An administrator banning people so that real players can come in is far from disruptive. I may be a square, or maybe I'm just used to Unreal Tournament where there is no such thing as being friendly or not playing the objective.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Trouble with friendlies is that they are like magnets, attracting others to ignore the game and start acting like they are in a sandpit.

Kirbyhancock

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Dude the Conga taunt is made to be infectious in every sense of the word. A single person could have the taunt and 32 fucking people could be doing the same. The game is clearly meant to pander to fucking friendlies .

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Dude the Conga taunt is made to be infectious in every sense of the word. A single person could have the taunt and 32 fucking people could be doing the same. The game is clearly meant to pander to fucking friendlies .

I highly doubt Valve added it in with that mentality.

Regardless it doesn't matter. As Bottiger pointed out, the majority of people seem to want to play the game normally so as long as that's the case the rule will remain