• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

How many hours per week would you spend on a 24/7 TM server.

• Total voters

BlazeFire99

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I'm not trying to sound like a prick but saying "I like the server" and "there were cool regulars there" isn't a good selling point for Bottiger to bring back a server because the problem of server inactivity still remains.

If you guys want it back I'd assume your best bet is to show there is a good amount of people willing to seriously dedicate some time to keeping the server consistently populated, and of course you'd have to actually keep it up otherwise it would likely get removed if its activity drops again.
What i'm trying to prove with this post is that there are still people who want to play on the server and miss it.

Bottiger

Administrator
What i'm trying to prove with this post is that there are still people who want to play on the server and miss it.

I already warned people months ahead of time, and the server still didn't have anyone in it all day during the middle of summer vacation.

Why do you think it will be any better now?

-bwh- Dr. Hispanian

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I'm not trying to sound like a prick but saying "I like the server" and "there were cool regulars there" isn't a good selling point for Bottiger to bring back a server because the problem of server inactivity still remains.

If you guys want it back I'd assume your best bet is to show there is a good amount of people willing to seriously dedicate some time to keeping the server consistently populated, and of course you'd have to actually keep it up otherwise it would likely get removed if its activity drops again.
It wasn't inactivity that killed the sever it was the constant DDos that was happening that killed it. The sever was full with 24 players and it would get DDos, killing the server in about ~30-45 min and this would go on for days without stopping everyday It was so bad that I basically stopped playing even though I love playing on TM before it was shutdown, I even made a thread asking for help about it but nothing was done which eventually killed the sever so don't tell me it was inactivity because I would player there everyday along with everyone else here for about a year and a half and know this issue more than anyone. This all happened before you guys start to give warnings out to save the servers

Here is the thread im talking about and If i recall correctly the sever was being DDos since nov/dec increasing in frequency and length
http://www.skial.com/threads/why-you-do-this-skial.48035/#post-532250

If you still have records of the sever i can show you what i mean

Last edited:

Bottiger

Administrator
It wasn't inactivity that killed the sever it was the constant DDos that was happening that killed it. The sever was full with 24 players and it would get DDos, killing the server in about ~30-45 min and this would go on for days without stopping everyday It was so bad that I basically stopped playing even though I love playing on TM before it was shutdown, I even made a thread asking for help about it but nothing was done which eventually killed the sever so don't tell me it was inactivity because I would player there everyday along with everyone else here for about a year and a half and know this issue more than anyone. This all happened before you guys start to give warnings out to save the servers

Here is the thread im talking about and If i recall correctly the sever was being DDos since nov/dec increasing in frequency and length
http://www.skial.com/threads/why-you-do-this-skial.48035/#post-532250

If you still have records of the sever i can show you what i mean

There was no constant DDoS. Every server gets ddosed once in awhile and that is completely unavoidable. We have automated recording and defense systems and there were no daily ddos attacks. They were weekly at most.

I even moved the Texas servers to a stronger host on May 12th. There were no population problems before Valve changed quickplay at the end of January.

The only DDoS proof datacenters are in Canada and France. If the regulars are all going to abandon the server because of some standard ddosing, there's nothing we can do about it.

Turbine, 2Fort, Upward, Saxton, and Deathrun are all doing fine.

Last edited:

BlazeFire99

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I already warned people months ahead of time, and the server still didn't have anyone in it all day during the middle of summer vacation.

Why do you think it will be any better now?

I have no idea what it takes to run a tf2 server so my basic suggestion of just start it back up and if it doesn't do well then close it may or may not be a feasible idea. But if it is i would love for you guys to try that, but maybe try hosting it in NY? I heard alot of people were having ping problems on TX so while they wanted to play TM they couldn't due to ping issues. Also there are very, very few 24/7 reliable TM servers (at least i haven't found one. But i also haven't been heavily searching.) So having one of the few 24/7 TM servers may also influence people to play on it as they wont have many other options for playing TM other than joining a valve server and doing a vote for map change. I'm not begging you to put the server back up and i'm not looking to start getting people angry if you don't put it back up but there's no chance for change if no one voices what they want.

Bottiger

Administrator
There's a reason why there aren't any servers for map X Y Z. And the reason is because they are unpopular.

There used to be a servers for every map and they all died out due to Valve quickplay policies. If your theory of being the only good Thundermountain server left would've filled the server, it would've happened before I closed it.

NY isn't any less prone to DDoS attacks, and even the Thundermountain server in our DDoS proof EU location died out.

-bwh- Dr. Hispanian

Scarcely Lethal Noob
There was no constant DDoS. Every server gets ddosed once in awhile and that is completely unavoidable. We have automated recording and defense systems and there were no daily ddos attacks. They were weekly at most.

I even moved the Texas servers to a stronger host on May 12th. There were no population problems before Valve changed quickplay at the end of January.

The only DDoS proof datacenters are in Canada and France. If the regulars are all going to abandon the server because of some standard ddosing, there's nothing we can do about it.

Turbine, 2Fort, Upward, Saxton, and Deathrun are all doing fine.
All this happend right during the new year which is about 4 months before the data bases where changed and trust me when i say this it was everyday at first it was weekly, then 2-3 times a week lasting maybe 10 min then it happened everyday with lasting more than 30 min easy

Bottiger

Administrator
There was no population issue during or even several months after the new year.

There are always more ddos attacks when kids are out of school. It was never daily, I checked the logs almost every day.

Let's pretend you're right though. Why do you think it'll be any better the 2nd time around? We already have the best ddos protection we can get short of spending $1000/month/server. It isn't going to get better than this.

Even if there were DDoS attacks every day during the new year, it didn't cause Thundermountain to die out half a year later.

Last edited:

Bottiger

Administrator
I just checked, last time the server was paid for was July 13, so the server was up for about a month after that.

-bwh- Dr. Hispanian

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I asked when TM was removed from your list to host on if i recall correctly it was changed to mountainlab for a bit then i lost track what happend