• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Would be nice to play with the same core of players instead of changing faces every time I want a different mode.

As others have pointed out it likely wouldn't have any core players to begin with. The server would likely remain empty.

You said you can't find any servers that fit what you're looking for which should tell you that those types of servers just don't populate, otherwise they would be as common as 2fort servers if they were popular.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
Hell, if you are paying, me and renegade could do it for you. We just got out of a Garry's mod server venture that I was owner of, until the IP changed, we had about 15 players for 50% of the day, so... not too shabby.
Let me think about it. The main reason is that I'm looking through Renegade's history and he seems to pick up fights rather easily :)

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
As others have pointed out it likely wouldn't have any core players to begin with. The server would likely remain empty.

You said you can't find any servers that fit what you're looking for which should tell you that those types of servers just don't populate, otherwise they would be as common as 2fort servers if they were popular.
If I am to go for a simple yes/no answer then yes, you are very much correct.

I believe this would warrant a bigger discussion but it might rub off some people the wrong way and I'm not here to pick up fights, just trying to find a solution for a server.

DeathSod

Legendary Skial King
Let me think about it. The main reason is that I'm looking through Renegade's history and he seems to pick up fights rather easily :)
He is a hell of an admin, I get the players, he gets rid of the bad ones. Its like good cop bad cop. But with internet fat people.

sov

Legendary Skial King
This guy hasn't even linked his steam account to the forums or added a profile picture.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Here's a groundbreaking idea.

Bring back 24/7 Egypt.

Oh wait, that isn't on the table?

:(

OqH141g.png

CDAWG

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I get 100+ on euro servers but I still get good frames. Get a better PC nerd

TF2PublicFerret

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
The administration aside, which I agree is somewhat troublesome, the point about other maps is true. What I think is much more worrying is that Skial is constantly consolidating on their existing maps and converting more servers to fast respawn.

Agreed, quickplay is ruining the custom server communities, I love the skial servers because they have extensive admin controls which allow things like post-game scrambling, alltalk and appeals to admins. Overall it is a great package. I agree that fixed maps build solid communities, speaking from the European side of things I know that the Egyptians have their own steam group, Turbine (Non-Fast respawn) has a collection of guys that are hugely connected and that Dustbowl EU2 is a... special sort of crowd.

The problem with such a dearth of maps is that it does persuade me to play on Valve servers because time to time I want to play Thundermountain or Mountainlab sometimes. Hell Steel is my favourite. The other big turnoff is Fast Respawn, its stupid difficult and does not reward wiping out a team. Think in terms of Lol and Dota, wiping out a team there means you can make great advances. I know its not the same type of game but these things do matter.

With skial making more servers going Fast and taking away certain maps, its really limiting my choices. Also if Valve servers begin using alltalk then they might dominate completely. What I am getting at in this post is that there are groups of people, including this guy, out there who like some variety and vanilla respawn, consolidating too hard might result in losing more people than you gain.

Sargent¥

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The administration aside, which I agree is somewhat troublesome, the point about other maps is true. What I think is much more worrying is that Skial is constantly consolidating on their existing maps and converting more servers to fast respawn.

Agreed, quickplay is ruining the custom server communities, I love the skial servers because they have extensive admin controls which allow things like post-game scrambling, alltalk and appeals to admins. Overall it is a great package. I agree that fixed maps build solid communities, speaking from the European side of things I know that the Egyptians have their own steam group, Turbine (Non-Fast respawn) has a collection of guys that are hugely connected and that Dustbowl EU2 is a... special sort of crowd.

The problem with such a dearth of maps is that it does persuade me to play on Valve servers because time to time I want to play Thundermountain or Mountainlab sometimes. Hell Steel is my favourite. The other big turnoff is Fast Respawn, its stupid difficult and does not reward wiping out a team. Think in terms of Lol and Dota, wiping out a team there means you can make great advances. I know its not the same type of game but these things do matter.

With skial making more servers going Fast and taking away certain maps, its really limiting my choices. Also if Valve servers begin using alltalk then they might dominate completely. What I am getting at in this post is that there are groups of people, including this guy, out there who like some variety and vanilla respawn, consolidating too hard might result in losing more people than you gain.
Right now, correct me if I'm wrong. You want new maps and some maps set for regular and not instant respawn.

Well, this suggestion is often denied but if you seem desperate so...
  1. Have enough people to complain to Valve about what they did late Januaruy
  2. Have enough people wanting to play on the same map as you, we're not talking just 24, FAR MORE considering people do get on and off and we can't control that.
Even if you get enough people to want to play on the same map, the decision wraps up as Bottiger's. Right now, it's just you so this is frequently denied.
(Don't get your friends to spam this thread with vouches either, try a petition or something.)

Suggestions like these are often declined because if it does get to the point where there are enough people wanting to play on one specific server, it usually dies out after a week so try getting committed people also.

TF2PublicFerret

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Right now, correct me if I'm wrong. You want new maps and some maps set for regular and not instant respawn.

Well, this suggestion is often denied but if you seem desperate so...

1. Have enough people to complain to Valve about what they did late Januaruy
    Have enough people wanting to play on the same map as you, we're not talking just 24, FAR MORE considering people do get on and off and we can't control that.
Even if you get enough people to want to play on the same map, the decision wraps up as Bottiger's. Right now, it's just you so this is frequently denied.
(Don't get your friends to spam this thread with vouches either, try a petition or something.)

Suggestions like these are often declined because if it does get to the point where there are enough people wanting to play on one specific server, it usually dies out after a week so try getting committed people also.

What I was saying, was that I agree with the steps skial has taken.
I am not saying that new maps are feasable for the time being.
What I am making a point of is Skial's continued conversion of vanilla respawns into fast respawns. Also the removal of some maps completely. My point is that further conversions may hinder skial more than heal it.
How my point is relevant to the thread theme is that there are people out there like myself who like variety and vanilla respawn. It might be possible that such a post might not have been made if skial went a bit easy on the conversions.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor

I'm not trying to speak for Bottiger here, but if I'm correct he doesn't implement fast respawn simply because he likes it. He implements it because it actually helps fill servers. From what I saw, the two payload servers that were up were starting to empty out. He swapped them over to fast respawn and 32 players and they started to populate more than I've seen in a long time.

Bottiger knows his shit when it comes to servers. If he felt fast respawn was causing more damage than good, he wouldn't be swapping the servers over to fast respawn.