• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Kirbyhancock

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Well that's a problem then because due to the nature of my industry I can be completely free for a week and have the time or if I find a job I'd work between 14 to 16 hours a day for 6 days a week for months at a time.
Then clearly you don't have the time to operate servers.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
Then clearly you don't have the time to operate servers.
Which is why in my opening post I clearly stated that skial would control the server and have the admins for it.

Which then the idea got more or less shut down by Bottiger (though he's at least open to a discussion) to which then I offered for skial themselves to set up a server and run it while I pay for it.

I am under no illusion that due to the unpredictable nature of my work I'm not the most reliable person to operate the server on my own and also I am under no illusion that I might even know how to do it correctly.

Which is something I've stated it in my previous posts.

Bottiger

Administrator
Regular respawn on 32 slot servers really only work for certain maps like dustbowl. It is much easier to get killed and people don't want to spend 90% of the time dead. You can try playing there.

Prior to Valve's change, most of our 32 slot servers were default respawn as it would still be on quickplay. The change just about killed them all off.

Your best bet would be to complain to Valve. The servers everyone has left are the ones that have empirically been found to fill. If no one is hosting your favorite settings anymore then you are out of luck.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
Regular respawn on 32 slot servers really only work for certain maps like dustbowl. It is much easier to get killed and people don't want to spend 90% of the time dead. You can try playing there.

Prior to Valve's change, most of our 32 slot servers were default respawn as it would still be on quickplay. The change just about killed them all off.

Your best bet would be to complain to Valve. The servers everyone has left are the ones that have empirically been found to fill. If no one is hosting your favorite settings anymore then you are out of luck.
The only servers that are hosted to my wishes (on a respectable american latency) are payload servers which is what I've been playing since I've moved to USA but after a year and a half I just cannot take it anymore, same thing over and over and over again (custom maps included).

Which is why I don't like playing on map_exclusive servers.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Wouldn't it make sense just to have your own server? If you want a server with specifications to your wishes, that would make the most sense.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic

So anyway, I can take it from your answer that even if I agree to simply pay skial to set up a server you aren't really into the idea.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
Wouldn't it make sense just to have your own server? If you want a server with specifications to your wishes, that would make the most sense.
Sigh :(. I've already mentioned it about 3 times why it's hard to set up my own server followed by a longer conversation with kirbyhancock about it which pretty much covers all the aspects.

Edit: Spelling mistakes are getting worse.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The only servers that are hosted to my wishes (on a respectable american latency) are payload servers which is what I've been playing since I've moved to USA but after a year and a half I just cannot take it anymore, same thing over and over and over again (custom maps included).

Which is why I don't like playing on map_exclusive servers.

I live in the US and I've never had any problems finding any servers with decent ping, either they be Valve servers or community owned. There are plenty of non-payload servers out there.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
I live in the US and I've never had any problems finding any servers with decent ping, either they be Valve servers or community owned. There are plenty of non-payload servers out there.
With 32 players, no instant/fast respawn and mixed mode? (as in servers with PL, PLR, CP, CTF)

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Sigh :(. I've already mentioned it about 3 times why it's hard to set up my own server followed by a longer conversation with kirbyhancock about it which pretty much covers all the aspects.

Edit: Spelling mistakes are getting worse.

If the main problem is not having time for the server you make, you can either get responsible and trustworthy admins or wait until you have time for it.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
If the main problem is not having time for the server you make, you can either get responsible and trustworthy admins or wait until you have time for it.
The nature of my industry doesn't work with "wait until you have the time". I'm freelancing. Now I'm unemployed. In 5 minutes I can have a job for the next 2 months or 2 days.

All the trust worthy people that I know are already admins other servers which they've built up loyalty to the users so all parties agreed it's better for them to stay where they are for the good of the community.

Renegade

Australian Skial God
Contributor
The nature of my industry doesn't work with "wait until you have the time". I'm freelancing. Now I'm unemployed. In 5 minutes I can have a job for the next 2 months or 2 days.

All the trust worthy people that I know are already admins other servers which they've built up loyalty to the users so all parties agreed it's better for them to stay where they are for the good of the community.

I know some people who are admin for two different communities. If they're willing to be admin for more than one group, that's up to them. Whether it's your server or a server that falls under the banner of another community, it's your responsibility to take care of the server since it's your idea. It's cool that you're a freelancer but if you really want to do something like this, you're going to have to make time for it.

Kirbyhancock

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
With 32 players, no instant/fast respawn and mixed mode? (as in servers with PL, PLR, CP, CTF)
Dude multi-mapmode servers never get that much pop. Forget what i said about administration those types of servers are just not enjoyable.

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
Dude multi-mapmode servers never get that much pop. Forget what i said about administration those types of servers are just not enjoyable.
They are to me and there is one server on the east coast that's full almost on a daily basis. Also it's the only server in all of America that's set up like that. Surely there are more than 32 TF2 players out there (in north america) that enjoy this type of thing.

DeathSod

Legendary Skial King

I know some people who are admin for two different communities. If they're willing to be admin for more than one group, that's up to them. Whether it's your server or a server that falls under the banner of another community, it's your responsibility to take care of the server since it's your idea. It's cool that you're a freelancer but if you really want to do something like this, you're going to have to make time for it.
Hell, if you are paying, me and renegade could do it for you. We just got out of a Garry's mod server venture that I was owner of, until the IP changed, we had about 15 players for 50% of the day, so... not too shabby.

Bottiger

Administrator
There is only 1 server like that I know of. And there's a reason why it is the only one and it is dying despite having a monopoly on that setup.

We have a large number of servers that are more popular.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
They are to me and there is one server on the east coast that's full almost on a daily basis. Also it's the only server in all of America that's set up like that.

Why don't you add various servers to your favorites list with your preferred game modes and switch between them then?

It's a lot cheaper and lot less effort than trying to run a server that wouldn't populate

SLO_Fila

Mildly Menacing Medic
Why don't you add various servers to your favorites list with your preferred game modes and switch between them then?

It's a lot cheaper and lot less effort than trying to run a server that wouldn't populate
Would be nice to play with the same core of players instead of changing faces every time I want a different mode.